What to put in front of M1200’s?

Actually you just reminded me of five star integrated with built in dual mono Burr Brown DACs plus a very decent phono stage.

2 Likes

I’ve seen nothing but glowing reviews about this. Can’t say I’m surprised, as Denons high end is as good as anyone. I see these on crutchfield open box for like 1000 off from time to time.

1 Like

Streaming is a significant part of my listening but not critical, at least not yet. The Marantz SACD 30n has caught my eye more than once.
The speakers are Spatial Labs M4 Sapphires, which are generally well regarded. There are times I think they may be too much for the space but I don’t think they’re holding the system back.

1 Like

Congrats on the speakers (and the M1200’s).

There is a used BHK preamp at TMR for $3553. The used PrimaLuna tube preamp is also still there for $2518

If it’s possible to accelerate your transition to using digital media exclusively, you could shop for a secondhand DSD MK I and otherwise do without a preamp in the near term. When you have more audio system fun money, you can consider adding a preamp and/or upgrading your Bluesound streamer.

In the interim, you would have the synergy of PS Audio components working in your favor and a good foundation for doing more later.

1 Like

Putting a good used pre amp in front of the GCD or a solo DSD MKI are both good ideas. Upgrading the streamer as a a second step would be a good move either way. I could see myself going either direction.
I’m going to sit tight till the GCD gets back into the system for another listen before seriously contemplating what’s next.
I also started reading up on tube amplification, something I never imagined would interest me. Yeah, all over the place.

1 Like

With a tube preamp or tube hybrid preamp feeding the M1200’s, you get the sonic benefits of tubes without having 10 or more tubes to replace all the time. Just 4 of the longer-lasting smaller tubes to replace every few years.
If you perform a google search of your speakers “…and tube amps” you’ll find some interesting info.

1 Like

Do you use the Node because you stream to different rooms or because that’s what you have? If a single system, try a Direct Stream or Jr with the bridge from TMR Audio and see how it sounds. They’re very good on returns. The Bluesound app is better than the PS audio, but you get used to it.

I would like to suggest you give serious consideration to picking up a Prima-Luna amplifier or a pair of their mono-blocs, on the used market.

Reportedly excellent performers and a lot of bang for the buck, especially used.

Have fun with research.

1 Like

I’m convinced that I need to learn about and seriously consider tubes. There are several reasons, but this Ken Rockwell article provides the most compelling in his generalization that tube amplification more closely mimics natural harmonics than other topologies.
I hate to play buzz word bingo and say there’s a lot to unpack in his article but there’s a lot to unpack…

In a previous post I mentioned upgrading the streamer. I meant to say DAC but the streamer is also a possibility.
I started with Bluesound with a T758 AVR. The Vault2i came a year or so later primarily as a simplified NAS solution but included streaming. I later added a Pulse Flex2i.
I’m invested and like the platform so I don’t foresee moving away from Bluesound. But I would entertain another platform if something like ROON will manage all.

2 Likes

I tend to agree. Relatedly, my current premise, and medium-term goal is I need to get some tubes in the signal path (most likely in the output stage of a great preamplifier with a home theatre bypass or tape/processor bypass/loop).

I surmise doing this, along with the ability to run with more watts being produced via Class A solid state amplifiers would be a more “optimal” system configuration.

My current Class AB amplifiers have the ability to produce a sound during lower level listening with great recordings that have a certain magical sweetness and tonality, I can’t really muster at higher dBs.

Fun stuff…

Happy trails to you,

SEE

1 Like

I currently like a tube Pre and a SS amp that has tube-like qualities. There’s a few amp companies that voice their amps towards a tube-like sound. Luxman and Jeff Rowland come to mind.

1 Like