Which DS Tweaks Work? And which do not?

This link seems to work.

Get your popcorn ready and sit down and enjoy. At the very least it may open some little gems for our curiosity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV9dhGv_tTs

I put thick wool padding (purchased from McMaster-Carr many years ago) between the chassis bottom and the analog board as well as between the power supply board and chassis for vibration damping. Of course there was no double-blind before/after testing but my perception was that of ever so slightly clearer midrange and even smoother top end. It was some years ago when I bought the stuff for another project and I recall it was either the F5 or F3, 1/2" thickness. I did not get the adhesive backed stuff as that’s not needed. http://www.mcmaster.com/#felt/=t0b5j9

Be careful with padding under the boards.

Two potential problems - if there’s any conductivity at all you can at the very least screw with the high frequency signals running around (not a practical problem for the analog card or the power supply.) If resistivity isn’t at least around, say, 1MegOhm / inch you can affect the stability of the opamps, etc. Fortunatly the analog card has tented via’s so you probably won’t short anything. The power supply board has bare wires on back with 120V (or 240V) on them so any conductivity will be a problem there too. (Fire etc.)

Also the backs of the boards are used as heat radiators. Putting a blanket on a radiator isn’t a great idea. Perhaps not a serious problem on the current analog card which has plenty of heat spreading already. Obviously most of the heat on the power supply card is at the vertical heat sinks so you may be fine there too.

Nothing’s perfect but I did apply a lot of thought and design trying to make the boards more tolerant to vibration than many cards out there. (two examples: staying away from electrolytics except in the power supplies before the regulators, and staying away from piezoelectric MLCC caps.)

Thanks for your cautions, Ted.

assisi said

I have two Schumann resonators. They are the Acoustic Revive RR777 and the new RR888. The RR777 is impressive whereas the RR888 is just another level again. Some people in some forums have questioned the benefit of Schumann resonators but for me in my system they bring an absolute definite improvement to what I hear.

Like a couple of posters in this thread I live in rural Australia and I cannot comment whether our power is generally cleaner than elsewhere.

Hey Assisi, I have exactly the same two Acoustic Revive as yours, I reckon I can hear the difference definitely when switched on, even on my Oppo to TV video quality. But I’m chronicle migraine patient, unfortunately the Shuman Resonator gives me headache almost each time after…

I’m in Australia too. Not sure about our power quality, I’m thinking to get a P5, might look for more user’s feedback here in the forum…

One thing I have discovered is that the Direct Stream is very sensitive to power cords.
Between my HiDiamond P4 and the “Neo” power cord, the Neo is the best on it. It provides a deeper image with more emotion.

http://www.audiostream.com/how-is-ted-coding-the-fpgaent/synergistic-research-ect-electronic-circuit-transducer

But I'm chronicle migraine patient, unfortunately the Shuman Resonator gives me headache almost each time after..
Hey Jazzbug plse forgive me but I simply cannot resist :) ...

Perhaps the headache is in your head?

Heh heh wish it was Gordon I was replying to now, I enjoy pulling his chain now & again :)

hey go easy on that chain. Its attached to my resonator.

jazzbug said

I’m in Australia too. Not sure about our power quality, I’m thinking to get a P5, might look for more user’s feedback here in the forum…

I don’t know about the P3 but the P5/10 is a very worthwhile buy. You wont be disappointed.

dan said Anyone tried these in their DS?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e-wLEtX86Y#t=413

Did you notice in their other video how they pop these aluminum “transducers” into each component? They virtually spill them into the chassis. And did you notice how they make it sound like they are simply two casual audiophiles who just made a wonderful “discovery” they are making a home video about? While they just happen to work for Synergistic Research. In fact, these “transducers” are not transducers at all. They are simple resonators. At $60 each. Which just happens to be the same price as Synergistic Research HFT “transducers”. In fact, they look identical except for the color scheme. Just a coincidence, I imagine.

Coincidence, surely.