Why aren't chassii generally encased with Faraday cages?

The fact that this isn’t done implies to me that it would be somehow problematic. Would it?
Measures are taken to eliminate RF pickup from inputs, and it can be beneficial but what about all those traces and wires inside?
It’s not like it’d cost much to simply have a very fine mesh Faraday cage built along the chassis’ inside boundaries.

Isn’t the metal that makes up the case effectively a faraday cage?

a lot if the rfi comes from within the case itself too so may not help that much?

I suspect it is more a matter of cost and design.

One that really impressed me was the Marantz SA-10 from about 2017. This was the first Marantz SACD player to use the drive unit they sell to PS Audio. It has fairly extreme internal (copper) and external (aluminium case) shielding, not least because they wanted the DAC to be extremely high quality as a standalone element.

I like the look of the copper case over the power transformer.

5x or more expensive, but the Taiko SGM Extreme deserves the name. Copper and aluminium much like Marantz.

Linn have been doing it for well over a decade, with special attention to isolating the power supply. Limited to their top models, but the lower levels have heavily enclosed power supplies.

My choice, including a 4mm thick copper base and rear plate, the rest is aluminium alloy. Internally, like Linn, lots of attention to the power supply, a low noise planar design and still ruthlessly insulated.

Power-Supply_expert_mobile

Even on a (superb) $1,500 phono by Vertere, the power supply and circuits are isolated by an aluminium wall and the RIAA curcuits put in a double skin enclosure.

csm_Vertere_Phono_1_det1_c13b527c83

I can think of more, I’m sure there are loads more, but it doesn’t seem to be as simple as you suggest.

2 Likes

Once upon a time, high end car audio CD players had copper plated chassis.

1 Like

Once upon a time the Lancia Thesis had a cast magnesium fascia plate. Imagine the damping properties if such a CD player was installed into such a console.

Which reminded me that dCS use a range of techniques developed over decades, explained in an interview here. Can’t say I understand it all.

3 Likes