Will an XLR to RCA adapter give a 6 db Boost?

I would like to avail of the 6db boost from using XLR cables (DAC Jr. to Amp). My Amp only accepts RCA. If i use an adapter, will i get the 6db boost?

It depends on the adapter: if it grounds one leg of the XLR or leaves it open you will just be using the other leg of the XLR and won’t get the 6dB boost. If the adapter is a 1:1 transformer with one side of the output grounded you’ll get the 6dB boost.

You can use this elegant solution: the Decware ZBIT. I ordered mine with a stepped attenuator and I am very happy with the results. You can adjust the output from zero to the full output of the balanced output. Has added body and dynamics to my DirectStream sound. Not cheap, and you have to have great XLR interconnects too, and I waited 8 weeks to get it after ordering (SOP for Decware), but I’m very happy.

http://www.decware.com/newsite/ZBIT.html

ZBITb.jpgZBITa.jpg

A neat little device.

Ted - Thanks. Not sure i am able to get this much detail from the adapter description. Would you be able to point to an adapter that would work. Sorry for the trouble but would appreciate the help. I put the Jr. into a new system - inefficient bookshelf speaker, 30w classA amp and am finding i am push the 90s on the Direct Stream Jr.

@lonson, interesting idea, thanks. I didn’t such a devise was available. At this point, I should work to the adapter solution.

Hans, the adaptor would certainly be a cheaper alternative!

I’m happy with this ZBIT though and interestingly get the best sound with the attenuator about 3/4 up rather than the full output. I can drive myself crazy ‘riding the gain’ between the preamp settings of the DirectStream, the ZBIT, and the gain control on my Torii Mk III amp. I generally leave the amp full gain and play with the other two outputs. Fun. . . for the most part.

Hans said . . . am finding i am push the 90s on the Direct Stream Jr.
Unless you find you often want more than this, you are in perfect shape. Do you ever listen at 100 and find you want more?
Hans said Ted - Thanks. Not sure i am able to get this much detail from the adapter description. Would you be able to point to an adapter that would work. Sorry for the trouble but would appreciate the help.
Perhaps something like the Neutrik NA2M-D0B-TX or on the better side the Jensen PI-2XR? [Edit: Oops, the PC-2XR has a 13.6dB attenuation built in... the PI-2XR is 1.6dB Here are some other Jensen solutions: http://www.jensen-transformers.com/pro-audio/isolators/ ]