Windom: Installation/Technical Problems

Yeah. See my post above

2 Likes

@RonP
Did you find a specific Windom firmware loading sequence that resulted in your success or was it luck? Iā€™d say this may apply across the board, at least my wishful thinking no luck involved, for those who went through multiple loads on the road to success. Did any one land on a firmware load path methodology that was repeatedly successful?

I just did the new load and as far as I can tell, itā€™s as good as the other load. I might need more time to compare but I think it is the same.
This time the button flashes and then initialize but volume stayed at 100 where I had it, not change to 25 on the other load with the original load.
I never have problems with firmware loads and the new one loaded just fine, no glitches.
I notice all the files are identical on both versions, but the button still went through the flashing and initializing thing.
Oh, i did the Mac load since I have a Mac.

It seems to be a different loading process (Mac) as it involves something called Etcher that Iā€™ve never heard of before. The PDF does not suggest reverting back to an older mountain, but it does mention removing the I2S cable and turning off the amp. It would appear all of our rumblings here have led to action by PSA :+1:

Will be interesting to see if it produces more Windom converts. I will test the baptismal waters again in a little whileā€¦

1 Like

Yes, thanks to PSA. It seems this is additional guidance for uploading the Firmware, in the case of MAC, using Etcher. Also a WINDOM.img file is included.

Hopefully this will clear things up. Either that or add another layer of consternation over old loads vs new Etcher loads vs bad loads vs good loads :joy:

Waiting for the dust to settle. Have yet to load Windom, primarily as the DAC is at a different location. Iā€™ll bet they got it right: :wink:

1 Like

But will those with a perceived ā€œgood loadā€ dare to try the new loading method :flushed:? I see the new version comes with a Prozac couponā€¦

1 Like

Interesting times, I shall stay tuned.

Not sure what to do with this new information. I have a Mac and Iā€™ve never had any technical issues with firmware upgrades, including Windom. Also Windom sounded wonderful from the get go, so not sure I want to mess with trying this newer Mac download. Why did PS Audio come out with a Mac download, are most of the people having issues with a good load Mac users?

There are both new Windows and Mac versions. Iā€™m guessing it has to do with the programs that deal with the .img file being platform specific. That being Etcher on Mac, and whatever does the same on Windows.

I thought I 'd try out this new Etcher way of loading to see if it is better. I couldnā€™t get the darn thing to work and ended up with the same files as in the original Windom load. I reloaded it anyway and it went through the same process of loading and sounds the same. I wasted my time. I know, it sounded fine with the original load and I shouldnā€™t mess with it, but I was curious.

I was able to do the Etcher Mac load way without issue. Will be listening in a little while.

From what I see on the Etcher site the app ensures a clean load on an SD Card or USB thumb drive. Makes sense as it clearly eliminates one variable that may be contributing to the firmware update problems noted.
With that I am going to initiate a new thread specifically for the latest Windom update provided by PSA over the weekend. Should Elk or PSA think it unwise they may close it/ Just seems weā€™ll clutter up this thead with download comments regarding the recent change. It will also provide a clean slate for PSA to comment and monitor successes with the change.

I hadnā€™t seen Etcher until I loaded ROON ROCK this week to a USB Stick. What Etcher does is a verification sequence of the write to the card to avoid a corrupt load. Good idea!

It recommends disconnecting Ethernet from Bridge as well.

Balena Etcher is a well known SD card ā€˜burnerā€™, itā€™s legit. It ensures a good format, copy with verify and proper eject/dismount from OS.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a new one. Iā€™ll have a look.

Yes, thanks. As I mentioned, of the problems weā€™ve seen, many are related to the download and subsequent SD card challenges with peopleā€™s various computers and operating types. Or forgetting to unzip. Or not noticing the files are still zipped (newer OS seem
to open zip files in the viewer and make them look unzipped when they are actually still zipped). Thanks to the community some of these problems come to light and weā€™re doing what we can to make it easier.

TJ in customer service requested we split up the downloads into MAC and Windows. That idea helps because MACs place some weird files on zips that donā€™t always play nice.

The reason the number of loads is so low is that the counter resets when we put up new files.

Thanks for all the help and feedback.

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t. Most loads are working just fine. There may be a few that arenā€™t. The code is identical. Itā€™s likely that yours went just perfect. We posted separate builds (with identical code) because some folks were unknowingly having some issues getting the
SD cards loaded right. This helps.

1 Like

That is correct. Just easier to make sure you get a good load. Same code.

1 Like