Your 1st Album YOU purchased?

Released in 1964, recorded during 1963 racing seasons

3 Likes

That’s cool.

Abba - arrival. First LP bought with my own (birthday) money. I’d have been around 11, it had just come out.

Mud - Tiger Feet. First single, still brilliant, and still in my possession.

Singles were the thing really, albums were way too expensive for my pocket money, until I got a paper round a couple of years later, then it was all Rush and Yes and Camel and Motorhead.

I don’t still have the albums but I do still have the singles :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Rode my 10 speed in 6th grade to the record store and made my first album purchase…

3 Likes

For me it was Sgt Pepper, but I didn’t like it so I returned it and bought the Beatles (White Album) Instead.
To this day I am not a fan of Pepper. I love some of the songs quite a bit, but not the album as a whole.

3 Likes

+1 on Mr. Tambourine Man - The Byrds

Monty Alexander’s “Here Comes the Sun”

I was about to start college. My father retired so that I could receive social security benefits — his way of helping me with college expense. My first SS check was for close to $500 (a lot of money back in the mid 70’s)

What did I do with the money?

Bought an AR turntable with SME 2009 arm, and the Monty Alexander album.

Suffice it to say my dad was none too pleased…

2 Likes

One of these two. I tend to think it was the trucking record.

4 Likes

oh, man, everyone of a certain age remembers “Convoy”!

3 Likes

Made in Japan - Deep Purple.

6 Likes

My first, was The Jimi Hendrix Experience: Axis :

Bold As Love

7 Likes
  1. I was 9. Wore it out on a cheap turntable.
    HTH
4 Likes

I still have a very good copy of Hotter Than Hell

Bought two 8 tracks for a hot date in the Olds Cutlass Supreme. Just got My drivers license. The Knack, Get the Knack and Eagles The Long Run.

I still smile when I hear Good Girls Don’t…But

4 Likes

“Get the Knack” – so underrated, IMO.

Ear worm after ear worm and focused like a laser beam on the ethos of the average, western, adolescent male. I was 15 – right in the sweet spot.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Lee Michaels - Recital, 1968 at 11 or 12. Dug that he used a really big, bright, all-stops-out sort of organ sound that was different from the ususal Hammond B3 sound of the day (thinking Stevie Winwood, Booker T) - almost carnival calliope, on occasion. His biggest hit was probably “Do You Know What I Mean” three years later. Also big on harpsichord and tack piano.

Late summer of 1968. Walking down Wigmore Street in London one lunchtime back to IBM, where I had a summer job. I had just built my first stereo, but had nothing to play on it. This was a cheap album in a bin outside a shop I passed. A sampler including a track by each of Leonard Cohen and S&G; both of whom became firm favourites. At the exchange rate at the time I think it cost about $1.50.

4 Likes

And who can forget “The Peanut Butter Conspiracy” and “Elmer Gantry’s Velvet Opera”?:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Band names are decidedly un-groovy these days🤷🏻‍♂️

Right around then, my older brother was in a band they’d named “The Apple Corps”, and they sent a demo to the Beatles people. Only reply they got was a Cease and Desist threatening letter, as they were just forming their company of the same name.

1 Like

My uncle gave me that album when I was wee lad. Probably the first album I ever owed.

I think the first song I remember hearing was, “Hit the Road Jack”

2 Likes