Your 1st Album YOU purchased?

Great choice. At the risk of thread jacking what was the “piece of crap” (most likely, in retrospect/relatively speaking) CD player that you spun it up on?

I had an early Technics SL- something or another. I remember the kid across the hall my Sr. year in college had an NAD (first time I ever heard of NAD) – man, I lusted after that disc spinner.

Regards.

1 Like

Elvis’ Blue Hawaii. It was around 1961.

1 Like

One of my mother’s faves, when I was a kid…

I don’t really remember, Motorola maybe?

I had very little money as a kid, first album I remember buying was from “Radio Doctors “ in Milwaukee. I was looking through the bins and a salesman in a suit (maybe 1966) says “ what you looking for kid?”. Jazz I replied. “Follow me” he says and hands me a copy of Oscar Peterson’s “ Night Train”. “Buy it” . I did , best salesman I have ever met.

2 Likes

Nice choice. Mine was OP’s “West Side Story” circa 1962-3.

1 Like

Caravanserai was my first LP from the west. I wrote about it once, in 1974 I paid 550 zlotych. It was the equivalent of about $ 5 and 15-20% of my parents’ monthly salary and most people in Poland. The Polish album cost 65 zlotych, but everything from the west was ridiculously expensive. At the time, at the age of 16, I thought that I would live in communism until my death. It turned out that nothing is eternal and my life and that of many people in Eastern Europe have changed significantly. And now I’m listening to MoFi SACD Caravanserai using P5, DMP and DSD.

9 Likes

Holst: The Planets on vinyl. Your typical arrogant kid who thought he hated classical had his world turned upside down with a single album he bought on a whim with his allowance. Purchased it while flipping through the bins at the Tower Records flagship store #1 in Sacramento to boot. How’s that for a trip down memory lane.

holstplane_emi_2002_1308749120

5 Likes

Great story.

1 Like

Mine was Guns N’ Roses - Apetite for Destruction on cassette in '87, I would have been 10.

2 Likes

That’s my favorite classical album also, just searching for a good pressing to buy now on vinyl, want a really good copy.

1 Like

10 years old. Saved up money moving irrigation pipes for ‘Old Man Lazarini’ twice a day. Had to mind the cows and especially the bulls - he needed to get rid of one; forever.

Anyway, I liked Spiders and Snakes

1 Like

First record i bought in 1960—fats Domino singing walking to new orleans 45rpm --a few months later i bought my first album Gene mc daniels tower of strength-- it was in my 15th year. when I was 10(1956) though my dad bought me a portable transistor radio i wore it everywhere. it used D size batteries, and came in a knock off leather skin. it weighed a ton but i didn’t care. It was always and still is about the music

3 Likes

My first was Carola Häggkvist - Främling. LOL
It was a LP in the beginning of the 80’s.

Released a month before I was born. Purchased on cassette when I was probably 10 or 11. Likely worn out over the course of 3 or 4 generations of Sony Walkmans’.
It is a great memory.

Led_Zeppelin_-_Led_Zeppelin_II

4 Likes

Got my first pickup-set in 1970, with speakers (stereo😂) build into the lid. First album purchased

4 Likes

It was either Led Zep 1, The Doors, or Chuck Berry. Probably 8 track tape if that counts. Most likely 1970-ish.

1 Like

Was a chubby, seriously overweight boy in school (some 250 lbs at the age of 15). Fortunately at some point I started to develop an incredible, intense, everlasting passion for music and most of my lunch money started to go to records :laughing:

First ever was ‘Love an adventure’ by Pseudo Echo.

2 Likes

My first vinyl. Bought in Peshawar, a city in Pakistan close to the Afghan border. There were no music stores at the time (There aren’t any now either) but somehow this store which sold camera films and accessories had this album laying around. My guess is a friend or relative brought it from overseas. I tried looking for it today and couldn’t find it :frowning: (Probably got lost in the move from Pakistan to the US many years ago)

3 Likes

Also sold as “you can all join in”, I had a copy bought in around 1979 second hand :slight_smile: