A suggestion for a Stellar Disc Player

I still prefer physical discs over server mate. But yeah, will definitely audition one next year when it comes out!

well, our Pesos have just suffered a 50% devaluation, so everything seems to be further away now. :frowning:

A 220v to 110v step down transformer is pretty cheap. I still havenā€™t given up on convincing you to get a PWT. Haha!

Iā€™ve tried both, and the server wins hands down. No comparison. There is no upside to spinning discs any more, for me.

1 Like

I think this is a great idea and one we could endorse. As itā€™s been said, weā€™re not able to build a machine able to play SACD once our stocks of Oppo transports run out which is likely to happen near the end of calendar 2018.

We still believe in the optical disc storage medium so weā€™ll have a replacement for DMP of our own design unable to play SACD. To later morph whatever that is into the Stellar line is something we plan to do sometime in 2019.

5 Likes

Thatā€™s not good news, I thought you had a lifetime supply? Are any set aside for repair purposes?

Phenomenal Paul!!! Mind you (though I have no product from the Stellar line, but a Jr from the DS line) I think that design and the long blue Stellar line across the face looks fantastic. To have the new CD player complete the line would be very nice.

Hope it turns out a business success too. Thanks Paul.

A lifetime is quite long (we hope). We have repair parts set aside and will. Be able to service the units in the field. Fortunately the transport mechanism rarely fails, though it is mechanical and will not last a ā€œlifetimeā€ in the same way your car will not last a lifetime.

1 Like

I think a Stellar Transport is a great idea and one that I would definitely purchase. Maybe a Stellar Universal remote also that could control transport and GCD.

Thank you, Paul, for your response. I am glad you find the idea a worth one. As a consumer I would definitely be interested in adding this to my already wonderful Stellar kit. I am attaching a gross sketch of what it might look like. The slot for inserting the CDs should be hidden on the left hand side.

4 Likes

Yup. Great minds think alike.

2 Likes

Juan, that set ā€œla rompeā€!

1 Like

Paul, do you think it would be be possible to beat or at least match the sound quality of the old Perfectwave Transport with this new (Iā€™m assuming considerably less expensive) Stellar CD player? Or maybe I should ask is that a design goal? Or do you not think that is feasible with the budget allotted for such a player?

I do believe we can beat that performance but thatā€™s no guarantee we will. Thatā€™s our goal but the truth is the PWT was, and is, a wonderful sounding transport and it may prove to be hard to beat.

2 Likes

Itā€™s a nice idea that would definitely round out that product line but Iā€™m in the skeptical camp regarding the manufacturing of optical drives.

I would like to see file based streaming (local/LAN/internet) surpass optical disc playbackā€™s quality and I think PSA is the company who can make this happen.

I bet PSA will succeed!
My Melco N1ZS10 equals my PWT anyway :wink:

Good optical drives are expensive. Iā€™m not convinced that good optical drives sound better than much cheaper network audio boards.

I am in agreement with Brodric. Itā€™s how you handle the data and what the accuracy of the read is that matters. Weā€™ll be using a DVD slot load drive that weā€™ve spent some time vetting and it works quite well.

2 Likes

An equally poignant question is when PSA will release their Stellar Reel-to-Reel tape player? :upside_down_face:

Hey Paul and hey PS Audio community,

Iā€™m new to the forums and this is my first posting.

Iā€™m really really glad to hear, that you are planning to expand the Stellar range! I find your Stellar products to be very compelling, because of the great balance between price, performance and design.

Paul, in an older posting you said, that you have plans for a Stellar Streamer. Itā€™s great that you are now also considering a CD transport - both are very reasonable additions to the Stellar range in my opinion. Love your ideas and drafts for the transport, juan-hitters! Great work!

So Paul, should we expect two new Stellar products? A streamer and a CD transport?

Personally I would love to see everything in one convenient package. Maybe a CD transport with a streaming bridge built-in: a box with the Stellar design (like Juans draft) with nothing but some digital outputs (coax/I2S) and an Ethernet input for the streamer. Or even better: a CD transport with the option to slide in something like a Bridge II, if needed or wanted. So everyone gets what he or she is paying for.

What do you think? Would love to hear your thoughts!

Greetings from Germany!

1 Like