Acoustic Revive LAN Isolator, anybody tried one of these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acoustic-Revive-LAN-Isolator-RLI-1-NEW-1VPI8-/321260745288?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4acca1f248

It purports to have tourmaline powder in it, which I hafta admit sounds to me like fairy dust… and I even like tourmaline. :slight_smile: Seriously, any thoughts or experience?

If the idea is to mitigate any sort of contamination from the device that is the source of the TCP/IP data, then you can spend a lot less buying a normal router and using that to isolate the source from the destination.

I suppose that routers and switches, especially cheap consumer-grade ones, can also introduce their own noise and ground potential issues… it’s more a question of just how one wields tourmaline dust to stop this. :slight_smile: There do seem to be a few positive reviews around the web. Ifi now has s similar device, minus the tourmaline, for USB.

Tourmaline can have iron in it. Perhaps they are implying it works like ferrite. Whether ferrite would do anything positive is a separate question.

The seller does have 100% feedback however. :slight_smile:

Hmm, so it can. Seems to be that they’d likely be far better off just using ferrite, though of course it doesn’t have quite the sex appeal of tourmaline.

You guys might want to actually read what it has in it… “Isolation transformer and Choke coil for common-mode noise” “100% shielding by a copper-foil shield containing tourmaline” http://www.acoustic-revive.com/english/pcaudio/lan_isolator.html

So, has anyone tried one?

I have one. It does seem to add some blackness and smoothness to things…

I have 2 of these in the network chain.

1 between the Audio PC and the router, the second at the input to the Bridge.

Both add blackness and better focus.

I find the 2 units to have cumulative effects.

amiglic said I have 2 of these in the network chain.

1 between the Audio PC and the router, the second at the input to the Bridge.

Both add blackness and better focus.

I find the 2 units to have cumulative effects.

I use two as well. One between the Xfinity Gateway and the Bridge on the DirectStream and the other between the Gateway and my Oppo 105D. Agree with amiglic on its effects.

Tourmaline is a piezoelectric material and may help in the absorption of RFI/EMI.