AES/EBU output to XLR input on DSJnr

Hi Guys,

Hopefully a simple question…I’m looking into a CD Transport (Bel Canto CD3t) which has a AES/EBU output (along with a digital SPDIF) & the DSJnr has an XLR “Balanced” input.

My question is…are the AES/EBU output & XLR input compatible? If so, with what type of cable do you used as I think the AES/EBU cable is 110 ohm Vs balanced XLR 60-70 ohm?

Finally, if it doesn’t work, is it a superior connection Vs SPDIF?

Cheers

Matt

As far as I know yes, they are compatible and the connection should work.

Depending on cables used it’s possible the XLR input will sound a bit better. Quality of cabling matters.

Yes - and you want a 110-ohm AES/EBU cable rather than a regular XLR.

badbeef said

Yes - and you want a 110-ohm AES/EBU cable rather than a regular XLR.

The cable is short so it shouldn’t matter whether you use AES/EBU digital cable or balanced XLR for connecting Source to DSJ AES/EBU input. Either cable will work.

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for answering my question…unfortunately the transport was sold but I’ve learned a bit more about what options I have when/if connecting a transport.

I have to laugh though…“Yes it will work but x2 diff answers as to what type of cable to use”?

Cheers

Matt

The thing is that the AES/EBU standard calls for 110 ohms to help control the reflections on the cable. In general if the reflections combine or interfere too much they may drastically affect the jitter/timing of the signals, even to the point of being intermittent or not working at all. On the other hand the DS is much less sensitive to jitter than most DACs so if the cable works (e.g. passes the bit perfect test) it will probably be fine. I personally use audio XLR cables that I have on hand for other reasons for short digital runs with no problem, but if you intend to go a significant distance you may want to get cables that are nominally 100 - 120 (or so) ohms.