AirLens Reviews

Not to my knowledge, no.

That really sound strange… I wonder if you have a bum unit? I hear almost 180degrees from your description; much better definition in the bass (and maybe a smidgen more of it), significantly better clarity and superior soundstage.

I would definitely call PSA to get their input. Something just doesn’t sound right…

2 Likes

Hoping this Forum tries to keep to the intent, which is REVIEWS.
3-days in for me with my new Airlens.
Using I2S to my DirectStream MK II, which feeds into my PSA BHK Signature Preamplifier, which feeds a 40watt/channel tube amplifier (currently testing using a Quad of 50 year old GE 6550).
On hand from previous ‘adventures’ in streaming are an iFi Neo Stream (only used for streaming) and a Musica Pristina A Capella III streamer. BOTH of those were used exclusively with I2S into the MK II.
After just 3 days, the iFi is already out for sale. The AL is much better in almost every sense. Quieter, cleaner and much improved acoustic separation.
The A Capella III is putting up a good fight still. Of course that unit is over 3X the cost. I will continue burn-in of the AL, and report back over the next 2-3 weeks.
So far, very impressed with the AL. My biggest complaint would be the complete lack of any user interface (on box or web connection). That seems a pointless step back…counting flashing lights to determine firmware version?? What? Is this 1990?

8 Likes

Thank you!

I’ve got a week now on my AirLens and it sounds terrific, and in no way is lacking in the bass department. Beck’s Morning Phase album is streaming MQA 24 / 96 right now and my three REL Carbon subs are getting a workout for sure…

5 Likes

Great choice. That’s a fantastic record for space. Try out the 2018 Pink Floyd Animals release to work your subs out - Pigs (Three Different Ones) at about the halfway point, I think somebody sat on the mastering console and redlined all the bass levels. It’s so different from the original.

1 Like

Another great CD with a ton of bass is Keith Johnson’s recording of John Rutter’s Requiem/Anthens, one of the finest recording I have in my library. I think my PST does a tad better job of playback but the AL is very close. This one will give your subs a good workout and the soundstage is wide and expansive.

2 Likes

Tonight I finally had a chance to compare some tracks played via the AirLens and via the Sonore ultraRendu (the streamer that I purchased while waiting for the AirLens). It’s not an apples to apples comparison, since one is I2S and the other is USB, but it’s what I have to work with. These were all files of various resolutions stored on my NAS.

The two are close. I think the AirLens has a slight edge in soundstaging, separation of instruments, retrieval of inner details and sense of “air.“ But on a few tracks I preferred the ultraRendu, again by a small margin. But when I stopped focusing on audiophile details and just let myself get involved in the music, there was a clear winner: the AirLens. This was consistent with all the tracks that I tried. I can’t quite explain why, but the AirLens drew me into the music and made me want to keep listening (not that the ultraRendu made me want to turn the system off, no indeed).

12 Likes

Is it possible that the AL and Mcconnect app are not communicating properly? Could you try streaming from a different software just to see if that improves the situation?

Maybe i missed it but what DAC?

Curious about those who’ve tried the AirLens with a non-PSA DAC.

Yes, it would be interesting to hear more AirLens reviews with non-PSA equipment; unfortunately, I have the PSA DirectStream Mk2.

2 Likes

I too have the MKII. I feel it will be a while before those surface. Late in the game limited to I2S and not exactly mainstream price. Many who have it have credit from their upgrade which makes the price way better too. I am sure eventually there will some but wave 1 will be 99% credit holders with MKII.

Absolutely something’s wrong. Dr. Pain can you reach out to me directly?

1 Like

Please stick to reviews of the AirLens in this thread.

Itried to clean it up, but there remains a bit of awkwardness.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will give it some consideration. What are you using with your AL?

I’m using Tidal Connect…I was not happy with Mconnect, though it didn’t sound bad…

I am running behind to day and will not get to run the test I spoke of. The next chance of doing it will be Tuesday. :unamused:

A post was merged into an existing topic: PS Audio AirLens

I have burnt-in my AirLens for 4 days now and I’m blown away by it! The instrument identification and the “airiness” around it is phenomenal! The Bass is improved especially on drums. I almost bought a $400 USB cable to see if that would improve my system but putting that money instead toward an AirLens was a much better decision.

My setup is AirLens I2S output using the supplied PS Audio HDMI to W4S DAC-2v2SE output RCA to Marantz AV7005 receiver output XLR to W4S SX-1000 monoblock amps to Martin Logan CLS IIz speakers and XLR output to W4S mAMP to subwoofer. Music files are on NAS on Ethernet via Mesh Network to Ethernet to AirLens. My previous setup was Apple Mac Mini USB output to DAC. The AirLens is Controlled by Roon on Apple Mac Mini.

I will replace the HDMI cable with an Audio Quest Vodka 18Gb cable to see if that makes a difference.

9 Likes

Welcome @Yorlost1 - sounds like a great setup

1 Like