Albums You Play ALL THE WAY Only

Yes, part of my continuing education journey I wrote a compare & contrast paper on DAT vs CD during the 80s. Around the same time I played around with VHS/Beta music.

2 Likes

Bravo, Beef, bravo.

I had access to a DAT player at the library on the ULowel campus before it was absorbed by the University of Massachusetts

2 Likes

What inputs and outputs does that Panasonic have?

Miracle that the thing still plays tapes.

1 Like

I’m aware of very very few DAT machines that still work reliably, same goes for ADAT 8-Track.
…and I think most of the minidisc players crapped out years ago!

Often what dies are the mechanisms related to tape loading/unloading/threading and tensioning - rather than the tape heads and subsequent electronics.

1 Like

Yeah I was always amazed that stuff worked at all!

I also listen to my albums all the way through.

1 Like

Grew up during the height of AOR, so that’s how I still listen. That’s why I really don’t like streaming, I tend to skip around and end up not really enjoying the music.

3 Likes

This thread is interesting to me… mostly unexpected responses.

1 - Listening all the way through - this suprised me. To be honest, I tend to be this way too… but only 50%. Mostly I listen to a few cuts and move on because… well frankly… the pop I like is fairly inconsistent regarding quality.
2 - Typical thread complexity - I really wasn’t asking HOW you listen, but what specific albums you make a PLAN to listen to… that you allocate time for… that you refuse to stop midway… Maybe I am to blame by writing too much in the question… or not… J Gordon Holt was infamous for refusing to overplay his most favorite recordings… he purposefully denied himself to preserve their greatness to him. I kinda do this to in that I will not put on Abbey Road if I know I don’t have the time to go all the way through.
3 - So… maybe there is a listener who feels all the familiar recordings they have are those that are only “all the way” recordings? For me, these recordings are rare in my collection (mostly because my collection is so darn large).

BTW, I have a hidden agenda in that I am always looking for great records I missed.

More ruminations?

Peace
Bruce in Philly

6 Likes

Tom Waits “Mule Variations”, “Alice”, “Small Change”.

Maria McKee “Peddlin’ Dreams”.

Blue Oyster Cult “Tyranny and Mutation”, “Secret Treaties”

Alison Krauss “Lonely Runs Both Ways”, “New Favorite”.

Iris DeMent “Sing the Delta”.

Radiohead “OK Computer”, “The Bends”.

Spirit “Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus”.

Family “Bandstand”.

XTC “Skylarking”, “Nonesuch”, “Oranges& Lemons”.

Many more. Generally I look for an album that’s worth playing all the way through.

5 Likes

I would say depends upon days. For now will be this one. It has two instruments (classic guitar and double bass), combined classic & jazz tunes with two master’s heart felt playing, plus very hi-fi recording. There are tons of good records to choose from, however the more I listen the more I am hooked to this CD. It is simple and does not impose fatigue to ear drums, I can imagine myself listening to this all day for several days.

2 Likes

+1 for the most part–time willing.

It was so much eas/chek-CLICK/ier with 8 Track tapes.

1 Like

IMHO if Tull is on the list then it has to be ‘Thick as a Brick’. ‘Wish You Were Here’ can only be played one way - straight through. I’d also add The Doors “Soft Parade”. I’m sure there are scores more, but those came to mind when reading your post.

1 Like

I’ve generally gotten to where I listen to everything all the way through, but I’ll throw in a few favorites:

• Agree with Dark Side of Moon and almost anything Pink Floyd
• Supertramp - Crime of the Century
• Tom Waits - Small Change (and pretty much everything else)
• Chick Corea & Bobby McFerrin - Play
• Chris Thile & Brad Mehldau
• Keith Jarrett - Bob Be
• Ernie Watts - Analog Man

Damn, just getting started.

2 Likes

Playing Small Change right now!

1 Like

Might be my favorite song of all time - “Invitation to the Blues”. I have analyzed the ever-living heck out of that piece - even used it in a therapy session one time. The ending where the strings come in under his singing “There’s a Continental Trailways leaving…” tears me apart just thinking about it.

1 Like

Thought of one more: Jason Mraz - We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things. I think the songwriting and production are phenomenal, but what really grabs me is how every piece is different from every other. He might be a bit too “pop” in places, but to me, it’s really good and effective and creative. The song “Live High” when the whole group - choir and brass - come in is one of the most exciting moments in music I think.

1 Like