All my friends in Florida

Hi all.

Hoping all of our members and families are safe in Florida. I have a place and somehow it got missed in Naples. But it is heartbreaking to see and I have good friends on ft myers beach that lost everything.

10 Likes

Several of my in-laws live in Ft. Myers and on Sanibel Island. The Ft. Myers’ crews suffered wind and and some water damage/flooding (they live in neighborhoods more inland).

The Sanibel folks (last I heard) are not yet sure how much of a home they have to return to. Many, many folks have been significantly impacted.

Like plenty of others, of course, we have family and very many close friends in Florida. If one has personally experienced one of these storms, then one would know how the impacts are injurious in life quality directly, dimensionally and over a long period of time…both directly and indirectly.

So, we are praying for all those folks, as well as in the Central Coastal States…and hope you are, also.

1 Like

We were spared here in Broward. A friend from Naples just left now with a huge load of stuff we got for him, his neighbors and whoever else might need it (100 gallons of gas, 50 cases of bottled water, crank wind flashlights, snacks, first aid kits, chlorine, squeegees, tarps,…). Its just a drop in a bucket but better than nothing. He had over 6’ of water inside his home.

2 Likes

a section of the bridge collapsed. Only way in is by boat. Hope they are ok

I also have friends and family in the Ft Meyers area. God bless the SW Florida region affected by Hurricane Ian.

Thanks. They retreated to Miami to wait it out. So the family is safe.

2 Likes

To prove how crazy and unpredictable weather can be, I finally spoke to a friend who lives in Ft. Meyers. He got “a little water in the garage, none in and no damage to the house, boat well lashed to the elevator is ok, electricity is up”. “Worst thing is the dogs were terrified and crapped in the house”. A relief for sure but just crazy.

2 Likes

Here in Central FL I made it through okay. By the time it got here it was about as expected for this part of the State, although having said that some neighborhoods are still without power. My memory for names is not great, but there was a once employee of PS Audio - a nice young fellow who supported us a lot on the forum - who moved down to Ft. Meyers to be closer to family. Hope he and his folks were not among those who were badly hit.

And thanks @timm for posting this for your concern!

3 Likes

My Father In Law is staying at our house in Ft Meyers. We’re inland near I75 And Daniels. We got a palm tree through the Lanai. It’s a large Lanai but it was approaching end of life. We got of well considering our roof tiles are off and waiting for a re-shingling.

I’ve just caught some feeds, best wishes going out to everyone in that area, stay safe.

We’re in Central Florida, Winter Haven to be exact. Original plots for the storm were to hit land and the eye of the storm to come directly over us with sustained winds between 70 - 85 mph with gusts up to 100 mph! Once it hit land, it decided to take a more north-east route rather than the north-north-east route.

We lucked out, however as already mentioned, other parts of the state got hit hard. The worst we got were some trees down, debris everywhere, and no power for roughly 50 hours. Luckily zero damage to our house other than a single downspout for our gutters falling off behind the bushes.

We’re just glad it’s over and gone and hope others further south are safe and get their lives back to somewhat normal again soon.

3 Likes

I am a Hurricane Andrew “Veteran” and I can definitely say that being in a category 5 hurricane is definitely no fun. I know what those poor people are going through. May God Bless the all!

1 Like

One of team member moved to Sarasota near water front. Early this week on team meeting he said will have to evacuate and hit the road soon (We all told him don’t worry about work and just go). A few days later he re-appeared and told us he ended up in Disney land (no kidding) and made call from there (assuming using Disney’s wifi). Good news is that he and family are safe and sound.

2 Likes

I’m sure you mean Disney World, which is in Orlando.

1 Like

Disneyland would be one hell of an evacuation from Sarasota!

2 Likes

yes, I think Disney World is where they went. I don’t know if it was result of evacuation instruction or they just went there by chance. Will find out next week.

1 Like