Another question regarding the M700's

I have my M1200 amps stacked with IsoAcoustics Orea footers supporting them. Indigos on the bottom and Bronze separating the two amps. A noticeable and worthwhile improvement in the amplifier’s performance, highly recommended. I have tried using Stillpoints EMI/RFI blocking paper between and on top of the amps, not any difference I noted worth bothering with.

4 Likes

Hey Peter, I guess I just want to push back or at least question what this Facebook commenter is basically saying that ALL class D amps have a 100% fail rate in 25 years, and after 12.5 years the odds of a class D amp failing are 50/50 and only get worse each year. I wonder if they have evidence to back this up? Those numbers seem exaggerated (to say the least) to me. BUT, I’m not an expert, maybe an expert could weigh in…

Additional things to consider - what is the life expectancy of any amp? How has that amp been used? Has it been exposed to surges or dips? How often has it been cleaned/ dusted? These factors seem like they will have more effect on the life expectancy of any amp rather than the class.

Also the commenter starts with ‘unlike analog’ implying that class D is not analog (it is) and that class D is somehow inferior to A,B,etc (it isn’t).

I guess this Facebook commenter just raised my ire….

To your original question, looking at your shelving unit, have you considered side by side placement on the shelf just below the top? It looks like the space is large enough accommodate the m700s side by side, you could make the holes in the back larger to accommodate for more airflow and cable management. Just a thought.

I wouldn’t let the predictions of doom and gloom stop you from making a buy.
I don’t know the MTBF for the chips involved but I am sure they will outlive a lot of other stuff along the way.
If you still have them in 25 years then you can make a post of success or failure. :wink:

Good idea about placement, will look into it. As for the Facebook comments, it will just be his own thoughts as an amp builder, (albeit at an amateur level)

Hmmmm, I will be 87 in 25 years, and to be honest, will not care :thinking:

1 Like

That was the point. Don’t worry about the half life of the chips. Just get the amp you are thinking about and roll on with it
I told my son that when I have to move into assisted living I would like a nice stereo and my music server.
He said all of the music would be in my head and I wouldn’t need a stereo. :smile:

1 Like

Ah time travel. I only wish I would remember to bring back the winning lottery ticket numbers. It’s the time-drag on the outbound trip that messes me up.

I have been having a little bit of a move around, and come up with this, leaving space for a left hand mono, and having the other one stacked with the SGC Pre/Dac on the right

And having the “Audiophile” candles fired up, as they will add something… not :laughing:

4 Likes