Any Linn LP12 users out there?

I’m really enjoying mine. But I have questions, i.e.:
Anyone using the Radikal power supply?

1 Like

Linnie here and I am using the Lingo IV, no Radikal for me. I just upgraded two years back, no regrets. I could not justify the Radikal pricing, so went Lingo IV and a KORE.

2 Likes

Have the Valhalla and am anticipating the Lingo IV in near future. Reassuring you think it is worth it

I’m pretty much the same as weedeewop. I got he Lingo IV in 2018. I also got the Ekos SE tonearm and Karousel bearing about a year and a half ago (the latter was “free” as Linn was giving it away if you spent enough on other upgrades, such as the tonearm). I also upgraded my cartridge from a Dynavector 20X2 to a Dynavector Te Kaitora Rua. I’m quite happy with the turntable these days. It sounds great with my Stellar Phono Pre. I haven’t seen much from Darren lately on how the Perfect wave phono stage he’s supposedly working on is coming along.

If you understood me to say that I think the Radikal is worth the money, no, I don’t.
For what they are charging over the Lingo, I must be missing something in their message.

Thanks Steven
I’m very happy with mine. I also have the Ekos SE and I think it’s a brilliant arm.
My dealer talked me into the Kandid and I wasn’t impressed at first. But a few weeks in and it’s sounding great.

2 Likes

AND—I will quietly admit that I’ve tried several different platter mats, all very close to the same thickness and I’ve landed back on the horrible felt mat that Linn supplies as the best sounding–especially up top. Very close second is my Achromat.

2 Likes

To my ear Linns have always sounded exceptional with the Dynavector MC. A Te Kaitora Rua MC, very nice indeed! I have been considering and upgrade to either the Dynavector XX2 Mk II or the Hana ML. A friend has the Hana ML and to these ears is very good with jazz.

1 Like

I’ll step cautiously here, and say Ken Christiansen strongly suggested the Lingo IV and KORE over a Radikal/Keel. I’ve been working with Ken since 1978, so I trust his ears. He did not say the Lingo IV/KORE would sound better, just that I’d be happier with it. He was right.

1 Like

I use and prefer the Achromat. I too find other mats lacking, and prefer the Achromat for its sound and lower propensity to act as a dust/lint magnet. I use a Boston Mat 1, 3mm thick carbon mat, on my VPI Prime. Works great with the Prime, but I prefer the Achromat for the Linn.

1 Like

Interesting. Do you use the 3mm or 5mm Achromat with your Linn?

3mm, tried the 5mm, and it was too much of a good thing. It replaced a RingMat which replaced the original felt mat. Purchased the Achromat from a local dealer, Ultra Fidelis, after trying their 3 and 5 mm versions.

1 Like

I think with 5mm you need to start thinking about VTA. And what’s the point to the 5 over the 3?

And also—maybe because of VTA, the felt is nicer in the upper mid, upper frequencies, while the Achromat is much richer in lower mids. Maybe. I think. Possibly. I dunno. Sorry i brought it up…

ps-----I’ve heard raves about the “Hexmat”.
Funny enough, my favorite with my VPI is no mat.

I wondered about that. Achromat says the 3mm is for tables that don’t have VTA adjustment. I might try the 3mm. Or I may just say “sounds good to me” and just keep using the felt.

1 Like

IMO–don’t waste your money. The felt sounds great, for God (Linn) knows what reason. it just does.

1 Like

Try a Boston Carbon 1, if you can find one. Opened up the presence region a bit with out making it too forward. Cleaned up the highs a smidge as well.

Go for the Achromat 3 mm on a trial basis from your local dealer. I did need to raise my arm height a bit with the 3 mm achromat, tail up slightly.

I have the Radikal. I got it installed at the same time as a Kore sub chassis many years ago. Huge improvement. :slightly_smiling_face:
I recently upgraded the bearing and replaced the tone arm with an Audio Origami PU7. I’ve been using a Soundsmith The Voice moving iron cartridge for a decade.

Very happy with it.

2 Likes