Any M1200 reviews due

I can’t afford the BHK amp but the M1200 sounds like the next best thing!

Hello Cygnus, I was in the same boat! Tho occasionally you will see a BHK 250 pop up for less than new M1200’s ($3499 recently at the Music Room) but they are gone the same day! I can’t say the M1200’s sound better than any of the BHK amps because I haven’t heard the BHK amps. The PS Audio experts will tell you they prefer the BHK sound and I believe it! I’m getting off topic. I want a pair of BHK 300’s but they are at the low end $6500 a pair on the used market I’d say $7k is the norm with that being said a combination of my curiosity and impatience led me to a pre-owned pair of M1200’s. All the reviews are spot on! They are fantastic! I can’t imagine a speaker they can’t handle of make an enormous improvement in sound! A lot of members including myself are coming from the M700’s and some feel the 1200’s are a subtle improvement over the M700’s. In my opinion the improvement is far from subtle. Immense soundstage and clarity is way beyond the M700s. I whole heartedly recommend the M1200’s. The BHK 600 is coming so you may find a lot of BHK 250’s and 300’s hitting the used market soon!

2 Likes

I’ve never heard a BHK 250 nor 300 but I can say that I’m very pleased with the Stellar 1200 I purchased in April 2020. I purchased my Stellar 1200 shortly after the beta-units shipped but I’m not a reviewer. With the help of Kevin Johnson, I eventually received my units.

My impression of the Stellar1200 is based on my current home sound consisting of a Mac MC207 200 W x7Ch, Marantz AV Preamp 7705, Furman Elite 15 Power Conditioner, Samsung Ultra HD 4K Blue Ray Player, SL 1200 Technic turntable with Ortofon OM Pro stylus, Apple TV 4K with native TIDAL MQA via PCM using AudioQuest Cinnamon HDMI, Denon POA 8300 THX amp (height spkr). Marantz to Mac207 via XLR AudioQuest Mackenzie x 7Ch, and Mac draws power from AudioQuest NRGY cable. Front main and surrounds are Definitive Tech BP9000 series with pair of BP 9080 front Bipolar 12” Active (non-servo) powered by Class D tuned with a pair of 12” passive radiators 16-40K Hz. Seven speakers are timber matched. So if you’re reading through my report trying to decide if the Stellar1200 is something you’ll enjoy, hopefully this will help.

The system is used as a 9.2.4 HT and 2 Channel entertainment situated in a 13x16 ft dedicated room. My goal was to improve the top end of the sound spectrum to something more life-like. I wanted to add a tube somewhere along the line, either tube amp or a tube preamp after the Marantz AV SS preamp. The Marantz stayed because we listen to combination of movie and music tracts, but I’m also looking at the BHK Preamp. Prior to the Stellar1200, I looked at several high end companies with tube amps but after listening to Paul’s educational videos, I decided to put the tubes before the amp, then I had to decide Class AB vs D. I had some doubts about Class D but after learning that the ICE unit of the 1200 are the latest by an excellent designer, I decided to go for it - less strain on the back and wallet.

I learned that jazz sounded more musical and dimensional using only 2 channels. Within 15 minutes, I knew the 1200s were a keeper. I just took the L/R XLRs and speaker wires and transferred them from the Mac to the Stellar1200’s. No AB test nor volume matching but I listened to both low and high volumes. I prefer listening with room correction to compensate for speaker placement and unwanted room acoustic without redecorating. The first most striking observation was they were easy to drive. The second was they sounded great at low volume, I didn’t feel the need to make it louder to enjoy the music. After the factory 40 hrs burn in, the midrange was a tad prominent, but now at 200 hrs total burn in, it became slightly warmer. The 1200s sounded more articulate than the Mac. I used the PS stock power cable on the 1200s although I’ve read additional improvements can be gotten from a pair of AudioQuest Monson Power cables. I stacked them below the Denon surround amp just because they run cooler in comparison. Ideally they should sit by themselves for optimal convection cooling. I also put some inexpensive rubber isolators underneath them just because the tubes tend to be microphonic. I was not in a hurry to burn in 200 hrs, so I’ve taken my time to enjoy the new amps as they broke in, thus my review is also late.

The 1200s has some striking properties. The soundstage is wider and taller depending on the type and quality of recording. The depth is easy to discern because instruments in the back become significantly prominent as they move forward. They just come at you. Each voice or instrument in a musical score has their own space. The vocalist sound more realistic or present especially when you hear their breaths or handling of the microphone, guitar, or rustling of their clothing. When you turn up the volume, the sound stage becomes more spacious in a steep linear fashion. I heard sounds that were not easily heard with the MC207 with more dynamics. I found myself listening, eyes closed, hand tapping, having fun at lower volumes than usual. The whole stereo system sound just lit up with fresh sound. My wife commented, “It’s like listening to a live show.” Violins sounded more like violins, and the cello, acoustic/electric guitars, trumpet (12), accordion (7), and percussions more organic and pleasant without strain having separate space in the musical score. The base was more defined, not loose, and the highs from percussions presented pleasantly.

In regards to movies, the 1200s drive the front main speakers but the majority of sounds come from the BP9080 Center driven by MC207. Due to tubes on main speakers, there’s minor timber mismatch with center but not bothersome. When music or special effects came through the 1200s, they’re clear, crisp, dynamic, and more life-like in a shocking manner. Because the main speakers-Stellar 1200 combo tended to be more dynamic, I had to increase the center speaker volume a bit. The sound tracks going to 1200s simply sounded more vivid, ranging from explosions to glass breaking, or movie music. The rumbling and explosions were more controlled by the subwoofers.

Here are few of the music I enjoyed.

1. Keith Don’t Go - Nils Lofgren - guitar plucking seemed crisp
  2. Colour to the Moon - Allan Taylor - guitar & percussion
  3. Liberty - Anette Askvik - fantastic sense of spaciousness
  4. Caruso - Antonio Forcione - simply life-like with clear, warm, emotional vocals
  5. Duende - Bozzio Levin Stevens - fun with lots of instruments, wide dynamics
  6. Hotel California (Live on MTV) - Eagles, MQA, DTS on DVD, Life-like intimacy, esp Video
  7. Paris - Ewen Carruthers, Stockfisch Records, warm accordion. It reminds me of Paris.
  8. The Four Seasons - Winter Vivaldi - Janine Jansen. Listen for her breaths and clothes
  9. Besame Mucho - Chantal Chamberland, MQA, warm vocal
  10. Cavatina - John Williams - detailed, spacious
  11. Unaccompanied Cello Suite No. 1 in G Major - Yo-Yo Ma, very warm cello
  12. You Better Hide - Yellow, Heidi Happy, very spacious
  13. Seniorita - Shawn Mendes, Camila Cabello, Dolby Atmos, fantastic sense of space
  14. Movies - 4K’s w/ Dolby Atmos - 2049, Avengers, Aquaman, Dispeccable Me 3, Justice League

In my personal analysis and opinion, I would describe the Stellar 1200’s as being musical. It’s more fun listening to them if you tend to be analytical because I believe the Class A 12AU7 input makes an excellent sound stage. I find myself listening to more music than movies these days. Maybe it’s only coincidence the factory voicing by Darren Myers perfectly matched my listening taste. But I believe the tube input also enhances the natural fundamental frequencies of instruments and vocals, perhaps by bringing out more even harmonics resulting in a more organic, pleasing, non-straining listening experience. Perhaps I now understand why audiophiles love tubes so much. This is my first tubed or hybrid component. I give the Stellar 1200’s mono blocks a thumbs up. Bravo to Darren and Paul. Also, many thanks to Kevin Johnson. Given my personal taste of music, I’m hoping the 1200s will serve me well for many years. I won’t be tube rolling any time soon, the current voicing is fine with me. My goal is to eventually connect them to a pair of Martin Logan 13a, along with a BHK Preamp and a P15. I agree with other reviewers, the 12AU7 should be sitting on more solid ground for durability. Thanks for reading. >> Manny

8 Likes

Welcome @1AudioLuv
Thank you for sharing your experience. I enjoyed reading your post. In my system, the P15 and the BHK pre are worth every penny spent on them. Nevertheless, Stellar range are extremely good value for money. If it were not for my limited room space, I would have gotten ML’s. Good choice.
Enjoy the music and the system.

2 Likes

Side by side also with short 2 m speaker cables

I am ecstatic over the sonic improvements the M1200 gave to my all PS Audio components; but, would like to also endorse the M700s which I loved for 1 1/2 yrs. For those budget minded if you are thinking of a used pair, try them. These days they seem to be offered at good prices.

5 Likes

I have the M700, and absolutely LOVE the M700, but at the same time believe the M1200 is my destination amp. The M700 is a fantastic amp that goes well with both a solid state preamp and a tube preamp. The M700 sounds very clean and musical with the SGCD and really opens up with a BHK Preamp. My next step is to actually order the M1200. It will be difficult trading in the M700 monoblocks that I really, really like.

You will be a very happy adifferentpaul when you make that move! I would feel safe betting money on it!

2 Likes

I’m trying very hard not to land in the same camp, but people here are not making that easy. :wink:

Seriously, though, I do love the M700s a lot, and I honestly believe at this stage any additional money would be better spent on front-end improvements, particularly in playback of SACDs. All the other changes I’ve made in the last couple of years have revealed my Marantz SA8005 to be a weak point. I know Marantz players are said to have a “warm” profile, but I’m finding this overly so, to the point it’s obscuring fine detail.

1 Like

(One-man data point:) FWIW, I would not hesitate to grab a PSA DMP on the used market. Their value proposition rises on almost a daily basis.

I bought one from a fellow, forum denizen several months ago and it has performed flawlessly.

All this to say, while many folks on this site have reported issues with the DMP and otherwise talked it down (I don’t doubt these individuals’ experience), I have a sense that there are many more owners that have not shared a poor experience.

Just a thought…

What I am hearing (reading) from others is that the differences are not subtle, and that the differences that others describe are the differences that make a difference with the music I like. And yes, they’re not making it easy, lol…

I am of similar mind to those of Scotte and Craig_B. I just connected a PST and a few months ago a M1200, after a M700 trade. Recommendation: If you are a SACD player and plan you buy many SACDs, I recommend buying a PST before a M1200. I love both but that would be my purchase order. For me its a toss up, but the M1200 being available first made the decision easier.

I actually bought the PST based on Rebook playback reviews. Disclosure, I may never buy SACDs. I do have 1/2 dozen SACDs for sonic comparison purposes and I am having trouble differentiating between HiRes streaming and SACD. I suspect quality of recording will support SACD because one of my SCADs does not sound good at all (Van Cliburn plays Tchaikovsky Concerto No.2). Overall, I think the new circuitry and transformer in the PST is wonderful and explains to me why the Rebook CDs sound much better. I offer one hedge, I have streamed several 192/24 albums off Qobuz which offer sonics equal to Redbook on the PST. That said the PST lives up to the many positive reviews. Also, I don’t have vinyl in my system and won’t.

If you are budget minded, you could try a used DMP. However, and caution, had I pursued that route, I would be second guessing a PST purchase (call me fickle).

Good listening

1 Like

The combination of tube input and the extra 500 watts make the M1200 so much better than the M700. I was there! Proud M700 alumni! For the money hard to beat if not impossible considering the price and you can get M700’s for less then $2k used! I will let all the m700 owners now if you are in love with the M700’s you will be head over heals with the M1200’s! I have been revisiting my library and the difference the M1200’s make is nothing short of astonishing! I hear something either new or with that much more clarity than I ever did with the M700’s! The only component that I think that will elevate my listening experience is a regenerator in my system. Otherwise I have not read any reviews that aren’t painting an accurate picture of what they do! So far it’s all true. If you are looking to extract the extra details from your music, if you enjoy all the sonic benefits of your music without having to crank it up over 80db then the M1200 is for you! I check the forums several times a day to see if there are any other of my M700 brothers that made the leap! I can’t wait to hear your experience!

I’ve said it before but I’ll repeat it, the M1200s are much better than the M700s for all the reasons noted above. If you’re happy with your 700s, just don’t listen to the 1200s. I could have been happy with mine for many years. Trouble is, once you hear them there’s no going back.

I guess it’s like that for a lot of things in life. I spent almost 30 years and hundreds of thousands of miles on Honda Interceptors and VFRs. Please don’t ask me to go back to them now that I have a BMW R1200RS in the garage!

3 Likes

My intent in upgrading disc playback is for both SACD and Redbook CDs. I’ve heard so many wonderful things about the particular benefits the PST brings to CD playback, that if I were to go that route (which is still doubtful in terms of personal economics), it would be to replace both my Marantz SACD player and my NuPrime CD transport. But for now, I’m OK waiting to see if a trickle-down product in the Stellar line is in the cards. I’ve read posts here that development isn’t necessarily out of the question, though it could be some time before it ever happens.

Thank you Serhan. I would love to have a complete set of BHK electronics. I’m sure any of the BHK amps would be sufficient for the ML Electrostats. Currently, I’m trying to get my hands on a BHK Preamp and a DS DAC. I’ve looked long and hard, reading and listening to lots of review, and I think the PS DS DAC will probably suit my taste in music more than the other wonderful DACs out there. Do you have a favorite DAC?

Well said and good analogy.

What ML electrostats are you using?

I don’t have an electrostat yet at home, but I managed to purchase a Martin Logan 13a the other day, which is the middle of the new hybrids from the Master Series. SPL 91 is actually not too bad and during listening the McIntosh meter was just pushing about 5 Watts. It is a very revealing setup so one must feed it good materials for pleasant sound, but at least it’s not as “beasty” as other cone speakers with large cabinets. I can’t wait to hook it up to the M1200s. I’m also in the process of purchasing a Stellar 300 for my surround speakers. I’m not the type that likes to connect-disconnect to do an AB comparison, but I’d like to compare how fair the S300s with the M1200s on the electrostats. My prediction is neither will have difficulty driving the MLs, but the difference might be in the spacing and articulation of the musical voices because of the tubes in the M1200s.

1 Like

The Martin Logan is very efficient. It doesn’t take much to drive the newer models but I’m sure the 13a’s would enjoy the M1200’s! I power a of pair of ML’s with mine. I don’t get the benefit of the bass slam since my speakers are crossed @85hz but the mids and highs are very enjoyable.

1 Like