Any Members UsIng The New EtherREGEN And A Gigafoil

Give it time to break in. Mine is getting better now after 6 days of running almost continuously. It was really harsh and bright out of the box.

Ive been running the EtherRegen for a few weeks, to good effect. Worth it. Stock power supply, no Gigafoil.

I’m on the stock power supply too. It sounds good. I’ll get around to one at some point. I tried it on my HDPlex but it overloaded the LPS and put it into protection mode. Too many rails in use I guess.

What ethernet cables are you guys using?

I use custom made 10% Silver CAT8 Ethernet cables with Modular Telegartner Terminations.

I get my EtherRegen tomorrow. I plan to use my BJC Ca6a cables from my Orbi satellite to the A side and the B side to my ROCK server.

Good times are coming :+1:

Mine arrive tomorrow also, looking forward to trying it out over the coming weekend.

:shushing_face:

Be advised: I have heard a difference when swapping Ethernet cables on the A side. I wouldn’t have thought it possible with the architecture of the ER, but it was unmistakable.

Currently BJC 6 into the A side, and either BJC 6 or an unknown Cat 8 from B to DAC. Wish I could try some Wireworld in there, but I don’t have the cash.

Got my EtherREGEN today. It opens a new level of detail. Can be a bit harsh but I think run in will help. I’m using a pair of AQ Cinnamon ethernet cables I had lying around for the A and B side. I am quite pleased.

Mine was extremely coarse for the first two days and then it gradually settled down. Over a week later, it’s just a bad memory. Sound now, is smooth a detailed.

Having a quick listen now, unit is 1 hour old. Much better separation and ‘air’ but yes, very harsh and etched.

Hi all. I was in the first batch of EtherREGENs. I have no direct experience with the Gigafoil.

Grounded and powered by an HDPlex LPS, I started out by using it into the Bridge II in my DS Sr. I had my Roon Nucleus+ on the A side along with the router. I have a library of ripped CDs on an SSD in the Nucleus. I also had the Nucleus connected to the DSD via USB.

I’m using Tidal and thissetup enabled the second unfold of MQA in the Bridge. The ER itself was a big improvement–a better sound stage in all directions, more detail, better defined bass and a sound that was much more “in the room.” It did benefit from 100-200 hours of running-in.

Ultimately, I ended up getting the best results with the Nucleus connected to the B side of the ER and then USB out of the Nucleus into a Matrix X SPDIF 2 format converter and then I2S into the DSD even though this resulted in losing the second unfold of MQA. This setup made me pretty much agnostic to the sound of streamed files versus those stored on SSD in the Nucleus. I no longer use the Bridge II input.

Ethernet is via AQ Cinnamon. USB is Synergistic Atmosphere Reference and Curious Link with an ISORegen powered by an LPS-2. I2S is AQ Mocha. Both the Nucleus+ and the Matrix are powered by a Uptone JS-2.

4 Likes

Hans Beekhuyzen gives it high marks in this thorough video review.

1 Like

I just received an EtherRegen switch to try out on a new piece of gear that had a JCAT network card. I couldn’t get the ER and the JCAT to handshake and sent an email to UpTone for advice. Alex personally called me on the phone, asked some pertinent questions and gave me a list of things to try. One of them worked and the connection was made. What a great level of support. I never expected a phone call from one of the owners of the company to try and solve the problem. Personal support like that is what gains and keeps a strong customer base. Kind of reminds me of PS Audio.

3 Likes

I’ve used the EtherRegen for two days now. It’s a remarkable device right out of the box, and it’s improving over time. In short, I’ve never been drawn into the music as I have the last few days using this little device. -Highly recommended.

1 Like

Three days in now with the EtherRegen… I also added the Stellar P3 regenerator a month ago. Both devices (independently) added a level of importance to the sound. The music has taken on a significant level of refinement.

For my system, it’s the first time the sound stage is exceeding the width of the speakers themselves — and in a way that makes sense for the performance, not just for the sake of the illusion. At the same time, detail has increased, base is deeper and tighter, and the instrumental staging is more solid. I can imagine the performers and instruments moving to the music.

I strongly believe that devices like the regenerators and the EtherRegen lay a critical foundation for audio devices like the amp, pre-amp and DAC.

I am a relatively new audiophile. I turn 40 in two weeks. Yes, I believe that cables make a difference. Duh. But audio innovation is now happening at the base of your system’s infrastructure — isolation devices (for speakers and components), electrical controls (like the P3), and network conditioners (EtherRegen). Having integrated these enhancements, I’ve determined that they are indispensable to an audio system that sounds just right.

3 Likes

With respect to Qobuz & Tidal same experience over here :grinning:

Does this mean if you plan to use the B side, you shouldn’t use the A side for the remainder of your gear, i.e. STB, Oppo, HT Amp?

Has anyone used a copper RJ45 SFP into the RE?

My set up is:

TP Link-SF1008D 100M Switch > generic Cat6 ethernet> TP Link MC100 > 1 mtr multi-mode fibre > TP Link MC100 > generic Cat 6 RJ45 > Innous Mk III ROON Server > Generic Cat6 RJ45 > PS Audio DirectStream DAC Ethernet input.

I’m assuming I would introduce the RE here?:

TP Link-SF1008D 100M Switch > EtherREGEN Type B port output > TP Link MC100 > 1 mtr multi-mode fibre > TP Link MC100 > generic Cat 6 RJ45 > Innous Mk III ROON Server > Generic Cat6 RJ45 > PS Audio DirectStream DAC Ethernet input.

Cheers
Matt