Anyone watching 'Get Back', the Beatles documentary?

Sorry, can’t resist. . . .

3 Likes

The Rutles were so aimless after Leggy Mountbatten left. He truly paved their sidewalk to fame.

3 Likes

I continue to find fascinating the popularity of Get Back. I would never have guessed this song would resonate with people as it does.

1 Like

I have always found John to be the most interesting of the four. He was a complex individual on so many levels, and always at odds with himself and the world. The day he was shot, I was interning in a 48 track recording studio in Manhattan. To say the shock and disbelief among the musicians and staff was heartbreaking is a poor description at best. I still have the cassette tape recording I made of the 11 o’clock news reporting the incident that day. It still brings tears to my eyes listening to it.

Years later, a friend of mine gave this book. It was quite enlightening in so far as shedding new light on his childhood, upbringing, relationships with Paul and John; later Ringo, and all his later life. It’s a tome of a book, but a good read all the same.

Disney wanted to cut scenes of smoking and swearing. The two surviving Beatles objected.

1 Like

I believe they all come across as decent people that, ultimately, enjoyed each other and the work. Artists at a height of fame unimaginable at the time, yet still decent to those around them. I also thought most of those around them come across as decent as well (give or take a few). Smoking, swearing, disagreeing…so what, people. I like them even more after watching.

4 Likes

I’m not sure if they be able to cut the smoking out and still have anything left to watch! It would be like removing the toys from Toy Story.

1 Like

A new-to-vinyl young guy in the record shop last week asked me, “What’s a Beatle?”. :rofl:

1 Like

I watched the first two episodes last night. I’m a person who tends to enjoy long form, often slow paced documentaries so part 1 wasn’t too bad for me but, I agree, not the best.

Geez, you guys are not kidding about the smoking.

I have a questions for those with Beatles knowledge. In the series, I’m not seeing any or very little consumption of cannabis or other drugs.

Were these guys just not into any drug use or was it just off camera?

All off camera. They were all potheads.

1 Like

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

1 Like

I am going to watch this weekend. I was wondering how they were going to handle drug use. I suppose they could make a Portland cut and leave in all the joints and bongs. No one here would notice.

Best Beatle song ever, written by George Harrison.

1 Like

Now watch the Prince + Petty version.

4 Likes

I’ve watched and heard that rendition of the song, it’s excellent.

2 Likes

Did I see Alan Parsons as a tape operator in either episode 1 or 2, or did I just dream it?

1 Like

He’s in there. It made me chuckle to see him called out with on-screen text.

1 Like

Just finished; all in one sitting, more or less.

Left me with an overall feeling of appreciation - the best descriptor I could think of…

Worth watching if you have the time.

4 Likes
4 Likes