Anyone hear abbey road 50th?

Curious about the sound quality compared to the 24/48 apple stick put out awhile back??

I listen to the 24/96 version last night on Qobuz. I am not sure how I feel about it. I feel more impressed with the last redo, “The Beatles” aka the White Album. I bought all three versions of Abbey Road so I hope I eventually warm to it.

2 Likes

I am getting this ‘I’m not sure vibe ‘ from reviewers etc. I think my 24/48 sounds good. I too like the white album 2019.

1 Like

I would rank the three redos this way

1. The White Album- Absolutely breathtaking. Perhaps the best remastering I have heard.
  2. Abbey Road- Well done. Just not in the same league.
  3. Sgt Pepper- A well intentioned mess but still a mess.
4 Likes

I’m curious as to what you are comparing the new version to? The 2009 or 2011 remaster? I’ve lost track!! I’ve got the 24/48 version that came out with the last remaster. I absolutely love abbey road.

Also. One album remaster / remix that never got any fanfare was Let it Be Naked. I highly recommend it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Which release/version specifically (I don’t know how many there are)?

I’m totally with you on Sgt Pepper. Yeah, I could hear a lot more “stuff”, but I also wanted to stuff tissue in my ears. I’m “system impaired” right now, listening to my humble living room system, but I enjoyed Abbey Road mightily and feel that it parallels the results of White Album. Of all these treasures, I’m most amazed by the Esher demos. They are not, to be sure, “high fidelity”, but I felt more John, Paul, George and Ringo in the room with me than with any other recording. Oh, and John Lennon was quite clearly bonkers.

1 Like

He’s talking about the 2019 remix/remaster here on the white album

Christopher…what did the new version do better on abbey rd?

And about Lennon being bonkers…It’s interesting - because I put across the universe on tonight - and heard ‘nothings gonna change my world’ - and I’ve been hearing him say it for 50 years - but tonight it hit me that it was a simple yet a very powerful statement. Why I never heard it before… and that is the beauty of John. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The 2009 remasters on a stick were 24/44, I’m unfamiliar with any 2011 remasters. The new Abbey Road is a little uneven, some parts sound great, like background vocals on Oh Darling, Because, and just about all background vocals, but Lennon’s groan near the end of Come Together is buried way down…shocker. I Want You (She’s So Heavy) lost a little edge, and overall the mix sounds a tad bass heavy, but the extras alone make it worth getting.
I agree with all, the remastered White Album 2018 version sounds the best out of the three. It elevates the original album in all aspects.

1 Like

I’ve got the single vinyl Abbey Road remix record. It’s absolutely fantastic. An improvement on the original and, in the words of one reviewer, on the remix the fab4 “sound like a rock band”. I got the White Album for Christmas and couldn’t stop playing it.

At first I thought: Hmm, one more remaster … Then it has interested me at least so far that I wanted to listen to shortly. And it grabbed me so much that I heard the entire album from start to finish without a break. After a cross-check with my existing version of 2009, the matter was completely clear: I’ve bought the new version and deleted the previous one from the hard drive.

1 Like

Haha. Great. You guys are making me spend money tomorrow!! :). I’ll end up getting the deluxe download for about 26 bucks from hdtracks after discount.

I like it especially the studio outtakes. Giles Martin’s Pepper & White 5.1 remixes are excellent as well (to me anyways).

Abbey Road 5.1 50th Anniversary

I’ve always hated the “Spectorized” Let It Be. McCartney’s 2004 Remix with the “Fly On The Wall” disc is a nice bonus.

Wow! just listened to a few tracks on Qobuz. What a great sound, very dynamic and palpable.

1 Like

On the new release of Abbey Road, I found everything more clear and better balanced, with an appropriate level of warmth. More clarity yet still warm sounded just right.

2 Likes

Micheal Fremer has a review (of something like 7 vinyl versions) on Utube.
I liked his history lesson.
Chas

2 Likes

Ditto. I listened to the BluRay on the DMP last night, and the CDs today. I think they did a fine job.

1 Like