ASR: Impact of AC Distortion and Noise on Audio Equipment Fidelity

What Amir showed has nothing to do with sound quality differences that occur when using a Power Plant or not. It’s what we call a straw man argument
I am at the airport and cannot offer more detailed explanation until perhaps a week from now upon my return.

Paul McGowan | CEO800-PSAUDIO
Boulder, Colorado

10 Likes

“audio precision handjob horseshit is uhhh. just, its all about what goes on in flea farts while jet engines go by” - Mike Moffat 7/15/2021

6 Likes

I want to believe, and generally do believe, that these things do improve sound quality but I can also very much appreciate the quote I pasted above.

Just exactly what are we chasing and how many of us have rooms with a noise floor low enough to hear it.

See, this post which explains why the thread was reopened: clicky

I hear what your saying but I don’t think a simple a-b test would prove anything. That test would require controls to remove bias.

Just for schiits and giggles to put some things in perspective.

1 Like

Thanks for the great Mike Moffat quote in the “Mike Talks Analog!” video. I watched the whole interview, and at 19:52 he says, “What’s really critical in measurements is something that nobody’s figured out how to do.” That’s why great designers of audio gear combine measurements with detailed listening.

The conclusion I reached from watching the ASR video about AC noise and distortion is that the things being measured do not adequately reflect the changes in music reproduction that are heard by careful listeners (in many, but not all audio systems) when “dirty” AC input is “cleaned up.” I’m hoping that someone will eventually figure out how to measure the “right stuff,” but the field is not there yet.

3 Likes

Required You Tube watching (before watching ASR or any other vlog): The “reading body language” channels.
Go to YT … and in its search bar, input: body language channels.
Very useful … watch as many as you can … it’ll help you decode all the xx …
The thing about Majidimehr is not that he – or anyone in the objectivist space – is deliberately ** ya over for profit or trolling or whatever TF.
It’s very likely that the xxx are GENUINELY either confabulated or cognitively dissonant.
For example, in the ASR vidz, Majidimehr – that no-good xxx – punctuates many of his statements with nervous “heh heh’s” .
With body language know-how now in your tool kit, you what that xx nervous “heh heh” means … whether Majidimehr is CONSCIOUSLY aware of it or not.

1 Like

The guy is drunk AF … but luv the dude. Since the Theta dayz!

Excellent point.

"The 7-38-55 rule is a concept concerning the communication of emotions. The rule states that 7 percent of meaning is communicated through spoken word, 38 percent through tone of voice, and 55 percent through body language . "

In my opinion this rule can be generalized (with maybe small changes in the percentage distributions) to verbal communication as a whole.

I used to work for a software firm and we were involved with various experts in the communications field and this was stressed by them over and over.

I truly laughed my ass off when I first Mike that say that.

No one in audio tells it like it is better than Mike Moffat.

1 Like

I believe this is the reason that regardless of how much money we throw at our systems, they still don’t sound “live”. Those measurement tools still don’t exist.

3 Likes

Hope You and Terri have a fun and safe vacation get-away, Paul…Relax and Enjoy!! :+1:

My P3 will be “cooking” in place today. I’ve no doubt I’ll hear differences in my system once broken in! :wink:

These past 3 months I’ve been experimenting with various speaker cable changes (Monster-KnuKoncepts-Monoprice-Canare-Morrow Audio) and have concluded that There IS Definitive Audible Performance Differences between Each Cable!!! I don’t care if the differences can’t be measured…what is Absolutely Positive to me is that There Are Differences “I” can HEAR! Someone stating there is no measurable differences thus there is no sonic differences either:

1. Needs their hearing checked.
  2. Doesn’t understand What to listen for.
  3. Doesn’t own a highly resolving system to display audible differences.
  4. Lacks “SYNERGY” in their component/room setups.
  5. Listens to nothing but Amplified Music.
  6. Doesn’t have any real world exposures to Live UnAmplified Performances in Acoustical Performing Venues.

I’m optimistic the P3 after break-in will present “Sonic” improvements in my system, as I have little confidence in any “creditable measurement” improvements that doesn’t represent what “I” am supposed to hear or not hear (just like zip cord vs good speaker wires)!

Do I hate measurements…No! They have their place, but for me to plop down my hard earned $$$, I’ll trust MY Ears Every Day!!! :blush:

Ted

1 Like

I’m not an objectivist - I straddle the line.

For the sake of sanity, a very simple question has to be asked:

Why have I NEVER seen a comment/review/whatever where a tweak or minor change was not “better”. How is it possible that all tweaks and changes that are questionable are always good? This is statistically impossible. Therefore, the logical conclusion is that placebo is the dominant factor at play.

3 Likes

We have had a good number of tweak reports here where a user states a given tweak does not work on their system.

4 Likes

I agree with Elk, If one hasn’t read a less than fully positive review of “tweaks” then broader reading is in order. One also has to take into account the experience level of reviewers. More experienced reviewers better differentiate between “different” and “better.” The “tweak” and accessory reviews at 6moons in particular place their evaluations in the context of a given system and lay out the +'s and -'s of any given accessory. Srajan’s review of Furutech’s DPS-4.1 power cable is a good example. It is positive but it also compares and contrasts to other competitors on hand.

https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/furutech15/

Also, more than one reviewer has given plenty of good reasons for never publishing negative reviews. I would have to concur with Mr. Stone’s conclusion that trashing a product does more to pump up egos than educate consumers. There’s only so much time and print available for publishers and readers. Ask yourself if it’s better for publishers and readers to focus on what’s bad in the market or what’s good?.

Why I Didn't Write That Audio Equipment Review - Audiophile Review

Admittedly, the reluctance of the audio press to publish negative reviews runs against the grain of many reader’s expectations. Ralph Nader’s Unsafe at Any Speed established a mindset for consumers of my generation: there are skeletons lurking in every manufacturer’s closet that need exposure. Consumer Reports and automobile magazines sample every manufacturer’s products and praise or lambast according to subjective preferences and objective engineering failures. A lot of us expect those sort of outcomes for audio reviews as well. That said, I still think Mr. Stone’s reasons for focusing on industry positives are valid. If as many people were buying high end audio as those buying appliances and automobiles the audio publishing industry would probably have different standards.

4 Likes

In my opinion, this is a real thing in the professional review world. And, skeptics would do well to factor this into their jaundiced view of “mainstream” audio publications.

I believe that poor performing kit does not generally make it through the (formal and informal) pre-review filters that commercial publishers employ to select stuff for professional reviewers to demo and write about.

FWIW.

Cheers.

1 Like

Perhaps all reviews should start with “I only review great performing gear - let me tell you how this one is different from the others”.

Otherwise it’s hard to take someone seriously when (seemingly) everything they come across is lifting veils left and right and transporting them to some sort of utopia.

2 Likes

Good point, Jedi! These past 47 years, “I” have read many negative reviews/comments on audio products (components, cables, speakers, etc.) but have also read overall glowing reviews that did state some qualifying negative issues.

For me personally, I’ve run across audio products (same as above) that I returned immediately and have said so and why at the proper time and place. However, this was early on in my stereo purchase/ownership time frame (70’s, 80’s 90’s). The good and the bad became my own personal learning curve as I traveled my music journey along the way, developing Wisdom of choices that would get me to my goal of Audio Nirvana!

I do try and share my personal experiences and discoveries with those who ask for advice along their musical journeys, as I’ve already achieved my Ultimate Audio Goal…Live 3D music reproduction in my Dedicated Music Room environment! IMHO, believe most commenters and reviewers more often state what has Worked Well for them, not rehashing their past trial and errors that lead to extreme disappointments or failures, just Their Humbled Successes! :+1:

It all becomes very personal and subjective, but find Professional Audio Reviewers typically do include caveats and possible negatives for individuals to look out for, even when giving a product performance an overall Thumb’s Up. Sometimes, you just have to read between the lines!!

My .03 cents (inflation :wink:),

Ted

2 Likes