ASR: Impact of AC Distortion and Noise on Audio Equipment Fidelity

I’d think that by now it would be clear that this thread belongs in the “Humor” category! :smirk:

5 Likes

Well, the folks at AQ probably don’t care for Amir, either … but they’re likely too busy to bother with his ass.
Don’t own any AQ or PSA conditioners meself … but have had Chang Lighspeed in the system since 1994.
Also several Trip-Lite’s and Furman’s, Trip-Lite isolators up da wazoo. Luuuuuuuuuv 'em all.
And Majidimeh, in hiz videozzzz, doez not address the non-audio issues … why data centers and tv studios spendz beaucoup bux on conditionerz.

What I got out of the first video is Amir knows how to run a FFT. Well, bully for him. Not going to waste my time on the second video. It’s a really pretty day outside in Chitown. I know where my time is better spent.

Tincture of laudanum? Absinthe?

4 Likes

Snob!

:wink:

2 Likes

Looks like the topic has been covered, ending on a high note with humor is a plus.

5 Likes

I’d actually like to know why Amir did not see any change in signal quality when using a very clean power source and a very dirty one. One would think that the PS Audio folks would have some test data (evidence) to show how clean power changes the output of audio devices…other than someone saying it sounds better.

I am not an ASR objectivist…but, you would think this would be easy to show objectively.

3 Likes

Topic reopened to let anyone reply to @speed-racer 's post.

1 Like

I think the answer is as I described in post #5 in this topic. The devices tested undoubtedly had regulated power supplies. Such a PSU acts as an extreme active filter to remove any AC components present at its mains input and presents a stable DC voltage which is what the device needs to operate. Providing that voltage is stable the device is shielded from what is happening on the mains. Blackouts and lightning strikes excepted, of course :slight_smile:

1 Like

People buying the PS Audio power regenerators are the kind of people that are going to have products with quality regulated power supplies. You “answer” would suggest such people are wasting their money as all they really need is a quality surge protector instead.

No, if what Amir showed is real, and power regenerators don’t do anything to improve sound quality, they are a waste of money. I am hoping that someone at PS Audio can step in here with real objective data to show how Amir is wrong.

2 Likes

No objective data needed as it cant be measured with existing tools. It’s easy to do A-B testing with a regenertor and they do “sound better” than without. It’s simple really. No tools needed except your ears and brain.

1 Like

Well, I wouldn’t buy one because I am happy with the performance of my systems as they are, but I am not an audiophile. I like good sound but I do not listen for tiny nuances. The main factor is whether you find that a regenerator makes an improvement. Listening to music is a highly subjective matter and so it is your own feelings which are important, not the science or the measurements. Your system, your money, your ears; choose what’s best for you.

4 Likes

One thing of interest to me here, is how to understand the THD equation that my P12 actively displays. It would relate to the Improvement display, right?

1 Like

Is that really the case? If dirty power is a real problem, it should show up in distortion or noise measurements somehow somewhere. I mean, we can measure that the power is not what it should be. That is easy. If it affects what we hear it should show up in distortion or noise measurements.

At least someone should be able to describe what the detriment of less than perfect power is and what it should affect.

Hey, dawgz … confuzed, here dudez … y’all cloze me thread … and den openz it up again so certain of y’all kin … ummm … ‘spond. Somthin’ ain’t right, y’all.

What tools would you use to measure how much salt and pepper add to a dish? Same thing.
Kind of like different power cords or speaker leads.
If you can hear a difference then there is one. If you cant hear a difference then there isn’t one. Either way its not measurable with any tools currently known to man.

1 Like

Welcome back(?).

🥸

1 Like

Seemz Amirz iz in neez of some more publizity

2 Likes