At what average db level do you listen?

I have a Motorola “Moto G(7) Power” running Android 10. The free application is named dB Meter.

Thanks for letting me know the results seem reasonable. Didn’t calibrate it or anything, just turned it on and then averaged the results over 5 different readings spanning a few tracks.

2 Likes

For dBA on my Android phone I use Sound Meter. I calibrated it against my dedicated dBA meter (which in its turn was calibrated against a professional unit used by a local Environmental Health officer). On this phone it needed to be adjusted up 10dB, whereas on the previous one it was accurate ‘out of the box’.

I also have the Decibel X app for measuring dBZ, which I need to find true SPL levels when integrating a subwoofer. This was calibrated by testing against my dB meter using a 1kHz test tone, since at that frequency dBA and dBZ are equivalent. It had to be adjusted down 16dB!

2 Likes

Wow, you take this stuff seriously. Makes me think your comment about the ambient sound level I got was in the right ballpark, indeed. Thanks again.

2 Likes

Indeed I do. I am a card-carrying nerd, and I wear my anorak with pride! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Wow, 10 and 16dB! A lot.
But it seems to me that for most individuals’ purposes here, an “actual” number (accuracy) is not terribly important. But repeatability is. So, for example, if our meter reads 60, but the actual is 70, what we care about is that the error is always the same and linear, so we can rely on the (incorrect) reading to repeatedly represent what we are hearing, all other variables held the same.

1 Like

I engage in seemingly interminable discussions on another forum about how much amplifier power is needed. That depends on listening level (so we are momentarily on topic) but a 10dB variation there can be the difference between a 50W and a 500W amp!

That’s true. But it would be the same to the amplifier and to your ears if your meter read 10dB or 14dB.
I’m just babbling on about metrology…

1 Like

Our hearing is not “flat” at all even if we try to record music (not really) that way. Most studios are looking at a problem and decisions as to HOW to address this. The music’s natural volume and the MIC sensitivity combine to “color” the sound pressure levels on the recording, our music is highly “colored” in this fashion. We like FLAT systems so as to not make this worse.

LOUDNESS buttons used to address our non linear hearing responses. When we close our eyes and turn up the volume until it “blooms” and sound right our EARS are blooming, not the stereo! Yep, open your eyes and you’ll be around 70-85 dB for most people. The graph below shows how our ears hear sound across frequency based on volume. 80 dB SPL (or loudness level Phons)is right when we get to the flattest response for long term listening with low fatigue. Go much above 80 dB and we get hearing suppression where the ear will be reduced in sensitivity to protect itself. Play LOUD first, and the experiment is messed up for twenty minutes or so until the suppression goes away. So start QUIET and go up gradually until the music is nicest to you. Highly compressed rock music like Nickelback type will be weird as we DO NOT hear like that either.

I have an SPL meter and I average 83 dB nominal with 87 dB peaks when it sounds best. Speaker doesn’t matter; B&W 801’s, Vandsteen Quatros, Dyn Audio C4’s, Martin Logan CLX or T+A CWT 1000-40 all sound best to my ear around 80-85 dB every time. It me, not the speaker.

ALWAYS audition stuff at the SAME SPL or your impressions aren’t accurate, you’re testing your hearing. I audition cables at the same SPL no matter the speaker, 83 dB SPL nominal. I have the meter handy and it is almost always at 80-85 dB with sources. I can adjust it almost spot-on every time. Just trust your ears! Your best nominal SPL between people will change slightly, but the process will remain the same. No one’s ears are flat.

Best,
Galen Gareis

FletcherMunson

7 Likes

Sir you are a greatly appreciated huge volume of knowledge that you are also willing to share.
What a gem even if I don’t understand most of it :smile:

1 Like

I’m usually in the 50-65dB range.

I’m surprised about so many low level listening, I though most would be 70 +
I.e. realistic levels

60 to 80

Usually about 70 db in a med/small room, according to an iphone db free app when the listening session extends many hours. Louder for shorter periods sometimes, of course.

1 Like

I think most of us that listen at lower levels are trying to preserve the hearing that we have left. :wink:

3 Likes

Just ran my iPhone app and it reported avg 66.9, 69 max, 60 min and it’s comfortable.

Same here, I was expecting higher levels, between 70 and 80 dB.

Around 65 - 70 (background listening), 75 - 80 when critical listening or a song I really like comes on :slight_smile:

Usually 65-75 dB, for me.

I’m averaging around 79db, right on the verge of the danger zone for hearing loss which I was told is a sustained 80db. Sometime when I go crazy and try and impress someone, I go into the mid 80s and beyond. Hey, life is short. :grinning:

@tmcqueen Ditto here !