At what average db level do you listen?

usually 70-80dB for causual listening.
For full pleasure mode, around 90dB :slight_smile:

1 Like

We have the data to answer the question of, “how loud”. Go to OSHA. This is well documented and good data for hearing safety, and why I use the SPL that I do.

You can run 80 dB for eight hours average safely. Music is dynamic so it is less taxing than a continuous 100 dB locust buzz. The tables are for continuous nominal exposure, like in a wire draw mill with deafening BUZZ of the draw machines that never stops. Music is random so it is really a factor per the equation at the bottom of the page. So 80 dB nominal is less severs once adjusted for the peaks verses nominal average. Music at 85 dB might be like 80 continuous, for instance. Play that compressed Nickelback CD and you’ll feel it as it NEVER drops in SPL! It is a continuous blast, no breaks. Compression is BAD, BAD, BAD for your hearing for that reason. It needs to be calculated as continuous exposure.

I use 83 dB nominal all the time with 87-90 dB peaks. Your ears are made for this range per sensitivity charts. Just don’t push it above that too long. A rock album at 87 dB nominal is OK, but ONE!

Best,
Galen

https://www.osha.gov/laws-regs/regulations/standardnumber/1910/1910.95

Here is the data;
TABLE G-16 - PERMISSIBLE NOISE EXPOSURES (1) Duration per day, hours | Sound level dB

| 90 dB
1 1/2 
1/2 
1/4 or less

Footnote(1) When the daily noise exposure is composed of two or more periods of noise exposure of different levels, their combined effect should be considered, rather than the individual effect of each. If the sum of the following fractions: C(1)/T(1) + C(2)/T(2) C(n)/T(n) exceeds unity, then, the mixed exposure should be considered to exceed the limit value. Cn indicates the total time of exposure at a specified noise level, and Tn indicates the total time of exposure permitted at that level. Exposure to impulsive or impact noise should not exceed 140 dB peak sound pressure level.

1 Like

Thank you Galen, interesting.
What would « realistic »playback levels be?
It will of course depend on the music genre, and sub genre, e.g. classical, orchestral.

If your C-2 signatures are like my C-4’s, you might toe them OUT, not in, more to expand your sound stage immensely. C-4’s and C-2’s have excellent horizontal dispersion uniformity for imaging and don’t need too much toe in.

Toe in helps spray and pray speakers image soilidly. The C-4 or C-2 don’t need but maybe 1.0" at best. Your room is better than mine, looking at your picture so try 1.0". Run a tape measures across the front of the plinths, and set the inner corner of each plinth 1.0" back and listen!

The side to side sound stage will POP like crazy. Right now you’re missing out on what the speaker can do. Toe in is NOT considered good as it pulls in the side to side so use ONLY enough to set a solid center image, no more.

I used too much, too, until someone told me the tricks of the trade. Get a test CD and toe them OUT until the center image losses definition. STOP there. Don’t LOOK at the speaker, it doesn’t need to be pointing at you at all. Shut your eyes and let the speaker work it’s magic for you. The C-2 will, too, I owned them awhile. Mine (see picture) were toed in too much at the time too. The CWT 1000-40 are 1.0 inch Almost straight ahead and WONDERFUL sound strage!! The C-4 and C-2 will too. Try it.

2 Likes

An orchestra regularly hits 100 dB but YOU listen to it a couple of hours tops during a performance. Try being in the orchestra, though, practicing all the time. My wife’s hearing is chopped off above 1 KHz. She sings with an orchestra and it is LOUD. As loud and bad as that bad old rock and roll.

Best,
Galen

Many classical musicians have significant hearing loss, especially conductors.

As a trumpet player I am often playing behind a bit of clear plexiglass which protects the woodwind players directly in front of me about allows my sound to get to the audience. Trombones at peak volume are even louder.

3 Likes

:+1:t2:
https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/noise/app.html

This is the app,CDC’s NIOSH, that I use as well when I can’t locate my Radio Shack Sound Level Meter.
It get’s the job done, but for serious set-up I typically use the RS SLM.

1 Like

Thanks for suggestion @rower30 , i might try to toe-out them back as they were before Windom or some older release indeed. I have planned to do that right after I installed Sunlight, but then as it settled down i forgot about it :slight_smile:
Just need to find that laser pointer 1st :))

1 Like

I always turn it up to 11

1 Like

What is the weighting of these dB levels? A or C.

1 Like

That and what is the accuracy of the device used? Any recent calibrations meter/microphone calibrations? In my case the iPhone or Radio Shack metering gives me a general idea. Neither device I use is all that accurate. The Radio Shack being off on the lowest frequencies IIRC. I typically use A weighting when taking measurements. C weighting could be helpful when adjusting or dialing in subwoofer, of course with the proper meter/microphone.

The A- weighted sound level discriminates against low frequencies, in a manner similar to the response of the ear. 
 The C - weighted sound level does not discriminate against low frequencies and measures uniformly over the frequency range of 30 to 10,000 Hz.

1 Like

@bootzilla maybe it’s time for a little survey about average listening levels? We haven’t had a survey in a while 

This must be speaker depending, as my experience is, there’s more happening before toe’d out too much within the soundstage, focus, positioning of instruments between the speakers as well as front/back imaging, than just center suddenly loosing definition.

IMO short before center is lost, there’s often already a too narrow front/back imaging and diminished focus of what’s happening between the speakers.

1 Like

Absolutely there are ALL the off center imaging in play left to right, up and down and front to back but it is directly connected to the stability and depth of the center image. All those tertiary elements fall-in once you tailor the midrange focus. Start there with a MONO record of ELVIS or something like that. MONO still has a expansive sound stage.

Speakers with poor lateral dispersion give you only a choice of ONE, sound stage width and depth or center image focused and depth. As the price of speakers drops, the ability to do both well gets less common so know to listen for both attributes. I don’t listen to speakers with poor lateral dispersion as this kills the width capability of a speaker. Look at the CWT1000-40, you are looking at the SIDES of both speakers I use so little toe-in. A dead give-away is if the sides of the speaker are hidden. OK, not on CLX with but boxed designs.

The CLX behind the C-4’s are absolutely parallel when I use them. The curve linear panels takes care of the lateral dispersion. People can’t get over the fact that the sound will indeed find you properly without an arrow straight aim at your head. The center image gets VERY unstable as you move your head front to back or side to side as it is focused at ONE NARROW SPOT. Head-in-a-vise as they say.

Yes, you can aim the image cross SPOT behind so you are in a wider width across the imaginary triangle but using less toe-in is far more effective. The behind you method puts you too close to the speakers in smaller rooms too.

Free to try.

Best,
Galen

Full Range weighted, or A if I remember. Also remember to know white noise is equal weight and pink noise isn’t.

A 10dB on the high-end SPL range margin from 80 dB keeps you plenty safe. Besides, music is too dynamic song to song to get this into the minutia. My mix / shuffle is easy 5 dB different on average.

Compare two meters to get an idea of the error but around 80 dB is going to be OK. I wouldn’t trust it at 90+ dB without calibration, I agree.

But anyway, here is the paragraph you want;

Equivalent sound level contours. Octave band sound pressure levels may be converted to the equivalent A-weighted sound level by plotting them on this graph and noting the A-weighted sound level corresponding to the point of highest penetration into the sound level contours. This equivalent A-weighted sound level, which may differ from the actual A-weighted sound level of the noise, is used to determine exposure limits from Table 1.G-16.

Best,
Galen

Sorry, I can’t agree with that : 8 hours at 90 dB. There is no better way to go deaf

3 Likes

This link should assist in clarifying the difference between A weighed and C weighted sound measurements, with the source referenced for verification purposes.

Noise Meters Incorporated

OSHA Table Noise Levels and Duration or “Stay Time”

OSHA Noise Standard

dBA or dBC? If dBC, about 62dB at ears, nearfield, for most listening. If my wife isn’t home, and it’s at a reasonable hour where I don’t have to worry about neighbors, about 75, maybe 80.

That’s about the same for me, 75db or thereabouts.