Belden ICONOCLAST Interconnects and Speaker Cabling

This is a wonderful video. Thanks for posting it!

1 Like

The stiffness of the current interconnects have a benefit in that it keeps them up and away from the power cables! So not all bad as they are without sagging or drooping like the BAV RCA so flexible I discovered with noise it got too close to an AppleTV power cord and noise luckily showed up in surround channels when manipulating menus on the apple TV touch remote.

Outstanding presentation. The amount of information was like from a fire hose, I’ll have watch again to soak in a little better.

V,

Yes, the RCA can’t shield low frequency noise. It relies on the shield to BLOCK frequencies that have a lot transfer impedance to that frequency. As the frequency drops, the shield effectiveness drops.

This is where cable risers work if you have to route, especially RCA, cables along a wall. Separating the RCA from the power cords is a good move. The low frequency magnetic field drops with the square of the distance so space between the cables is important, and more so the longer they go.

Best,
Galen

1 Like

@rower30 I apologise if you have addressed these questions already. I have speakers that kinda require bi wiring. I am using MBL Noble 15 amps to drive my MBL 101s.The MBL 101s have separate bass and Mid/high post. I believe the bass post covers frequencies at 600 hz or below. The posts are about a foot apart so if you don’t biwire you need a jumper that is at least 16 inches. I want to try all of your speaker cables. My questions are as follows: (1). Would you consider using different cables for the bass vs the mid/highs or is that kinda silly. I have found that I notice the various cables I have tried create.more sonic difference on the mid high post. (2) Would you skip biwiring and use a jumper. If you used a jumper would you connect the main cable to the bass or the mid/high post. (3) Is a shorter run of cable better? I think I would need at least 7 ft to effectively biwire. I would prefer to have 9 to 10 ft for flexibility of speaker placement. (4) if you biwire I am assuming that the length should be the same but correct me if I am wrong. Thank you for sharing your wisdom. Willing to sample and try all sorts of combinations and permutations.

First, the posts are, or should be, close to WBT standard for EACH “set”. The “sets” are 16" apart…correct? You don’t want to separate the positive and negative legs since L and C go bye-bye for measurement control. You no longer really have a “cable” anymore verses two loose wires.

I use T+A Solitaire CWT1000-40 speakers with bi-wire and I use the SPTPC on the upper and lower posts. Cross-over is 200 Hz in my case.

The choice is really your preference for the sound you have so far…or want to get to. I didn’t design, on purpose, ICONOCLAST to sound different but the copper structures in the same exact design forces that hand like it or not. To be fair, we offer all logical and manufacturable choices.

The TPC and SPTPC are a fast, well imaged sound that is wide and deep. The SPTPC was meant to process better with silver solder but beta testers demanded it be offered as it sounds so “open”.

The OFE is most commented to be warmer and more forward and this brings in the sounds stage width. The closer a sound is to you, the less you hear the extremes…they are there you just don’t hear them the same psycho-acoustically.

I would not use different types of cables unless they are well crossed-over to one another in general DESIGN and tonal pallet. This is seldom if ever done well as most designs won’t allow a proper cross-over region. Each cable isn’t the same L and C parameters to keep the same reactive profile with only the resistive part adjusted in the design. This is really, really hard to do. I know, as I designed the RCA and XLR to mirror the same reactive frequency sweep. Not easy.

Why bi-wire? Ya, we’ve covered this but it is a do it! thing for sure.

• Intermodulation distortion produced by adding multiple signals is reduces as we split the addition of signals between drivers.
  • Amps damping factor does better isolating the bass drivers back EMF from the mid/treble section.
  • some feel the hall effect is improved by removing the higher current bass magnetic field from the low current mid/treble range magnetic field.

Best,
Galen

2 Likes

Great presentation! I already love my BAV cables and as soon as I can afford them speaker cables will be forthcoming.

1 Like

Thank you Galen. I am fine having two separate cables going to each speaker. Looking at the pricing I would not be making much of a compromise and frankly I think it is easer to just have two cables going to each speaker. My amps are set up to handle two sets of cables also. I don’t think I would be sacrificing anything by having two cables for each post. Correct me if I am wrong. Thanks again.

1 Like

Correct, two cables for each speaker;

Best,
Galen

1 Like

Are these bi-wire cables fitted at the amplifier with a single spade for each polarity, or is it two separate cable connections at the amplifier?

We can do it either way.

I can use use two separate cables with the M40-HV mono-amp most easily, or I can use two cables into a SINGLE spade with the two cables co-joined. The MOON W-8 amp for example, also has two sets of posts and can be used either way.

The posts are wired in parallel internally so no issue as far as what’s being done electrically. Two sets of posts is a convenience on better amplifiers that are expected to be used with more expensive systems and yes, the two sets of post cost more installed at both ends.

Bob can offer a discount on bi-wire as we know the cost is a pain in the binding posts.

Best,
Galen Gareis

2 Likes

:grin:

Good Morning… Thank you Vmax for posting the link to the San Francisco Audiophile Society presentation. And yes, this is perhaps the first time that forum members here can actually meet and hear Galen as he really is.

Someone recently asked me, “how do you talk about wires for almost 3-hours?” Many who profess to be audiophiles give little regard to cabling and are quick to point out that a cable is a cable. To them, a presentation on cables would be on par to talking about a rock. I beg to differ!

Click the link and enter the world of Galen Gareis. Be prepared to have your eyes opened… You will see Galen’s immense knowledge, incredible enthusiasm and his most genuine personality as one who is openly willing to openly share his work. You will leave with a great appreciation for just how much goes into the research, development, prototypes and final design of a piece of cable. I am not aware of anyone on the planet who even comes close.

Those of you fortunate enough to own Iconoclast cables already know the end result of Galen’s work. Many of you have communicated to me that your quest for the best audio cabling is completely over after finding Iconoclast. Now you will know why from a mathematical and engineering prospective.

By the way, I invited my wife to watch the live Zoom presentation with me. She declined. I just don’t understand it!

This morning, a link to the latest Copper Magazine hit the stands. This issue includes the first of a 3-part paper Galen prepared for Copper readers. In place of conjecture, you will find the graphs and mathematical data. Thank you Frank for including us.

I tried to watch the Super Bowl last night. I had to turn it off before the kick off. This is a crazy world we live in. I switched over to music and had a relaxing evening.

All the best!!

6 Likes

I shared the video with another forum and someone asked why put cheap brass connectors on thousand + dollar cables made of fancy copper? Some audiophiles will never be satisfied.

1 Like

I missed that - What Iconoclast connectors leverage cheap brass connectors? The Cardas rhodium plated copper spades would cost me ~$200 give or take for the (8) needed to terminate each pair of speaker cables.

Edit: I see they are speaking of the Banana plugs. No dog in that fight - for those willing to audition, they can decide for themselves. I’ll stick to posting here 99% of the time as it’s a much healthier discussion day in and day out.

1 Like

My wife saw me watching it and asked why I was watching a physics lecture and who that guy was and why would I be intereste?

I explained it who Galen was and he was the reason she is able to understand every song lyric, hear every singer, and all instruments on my system and nowhere else. That part she understood and got,but then she said. zzz :sleeping: I however listened to the whole thing.

3 Likes

I have always been a bit suspicious of banana plugs, but they are wonderfully handy.

2 Likes

LOL!!! I was with the Zoom presentation. Because it was a Saturday and presented according to PST it was a bit late in the day to start a “3-hour tour.” Galen kept everyone’s attention! The dashboard allows one to see how many members both panel and observers as the meeting begins. Only a couple dropped off during the presentation and I learned later that they had to leave to make it to work on time.

We have a couple of great customers with Legacy Audio Valors but we only have “one” with Valors that utilize Iconoclast SPTPC internal cabling. Very special speakers… :grin: Shown with approvals!! Enjoy. Valor 1|281x500

6 Likes

“suspicious”? You mean like you’re suspicious of what they’re doing while you’re sleeping?