Belden ICONOCLAST Interconnects and Speaker Cabling

Howard, you are too kind and your perceptions, ideas and recommendations are most appreciated sir!!!

Nothing will ever get between Galen and I or Andrew and Jeff at the plant. We work together to make sure our customers are taken care of from the customer service end… the “CABLE ASSEMBLIES” and Galen’s designs work the magic! Sorry, not magic, science!

Thank “ALL OF YOU” again!!!

5 Likes

Bob, I’m not sure which one looks like more fun to drive! :smile:

1 Like

I’ve been debating whether or not to delete this or at least move it to the “System” photos section since it has a JBL audio system. The tractor lets me escape the world of worries for a period although I sometimes get covered in dust and debris to the point of needing a fire hose. The Tundra is a whole new experience in technology for trucks. It’s a 1/2 ton tank with perks. I love it and have always had great experience with Toyota. Made in San Antonio out of who knows what and from where…:blush:

I’m driving my son’s Tundra around snowy Wyoming this week. It’s nice but I find seeing over the hood a little daunting. Not much of a downward slope on his, anyway.

1 Like

I agree though the seats can elevate your rear up a bit to help. For parking or close maneuvering, the onboard cameras kick in and guide you in every direction imaginable, At least on the 24 platinum. Reminds me of flying aircraft to a certain extent that I also have a bit of experience with. When I pull up behind others at a red light, the 14"screen kicks in and lets me see their rear bumper. The same happens in every parking or backing scenario. Sort of fly by wire with video support. This will take some getting used to. The audio system is fair but with too much bass in the front. The sub is in the rear… Go figure, JBL.

1 Like

As a photographer and a visual artist I believe that the site needs a complete revision. It looks like an engineering project from the 1960’s. Many ideas have been offered but they need to be considered and digested by a contemporary graphic designer that you feel confortable working with. Someone who respects the engeering of the Iconoclast cables and someone who can offer a very professional experience with highend photography. This can be an exciting opportunity for Iconoclast and I believe it will pay for itself with sales. Right now only those in the know can appreciate the performance of the product. Right now the website looks like the cables were built in someones garage. This might be the right decision for Blue Jeans cables since they are marketed as a no frills line of cables but Iconoclast is not that. I hope you are able to make the leap since I think it is a wonderful opportunity. It’s not like you don’t have a great product. I am a believer and I use all of your cables.

2 Likes

I somehow did not pick up that Anthony Cordesman had died. I’m very sad to learn. What a loss to our country and to the high-end audio community. Anthony was indeed a great and special soul!

2 Likes

Time to back-up! Yes, to the thread on ground loops. I promised you all I’d buy an Audio Quest JITTER BUG FMJ (full metal jacket) digital isolation USB filter. I have it installed between the AMD 5600G music server computer and the SD3100 HV DAC with the USB cord. PC’s are natorious for noise. I built the AMD system to be low power all the way through. No massive GPU or high frequency and over volted CPU.

My system is on ONE 20A circuit and everything through the P20 conditioner. I already have a pretty decent ground. Never have had hum…so far.

I use dual bi-wire series I (woofers) and series II (mid on up) SPTPC speaker cables with UP OCC series II RCA (phone) and series II XLR everywhere else. My system certainly has the ability to dig out nuances in sources.

I set the PC server (JRiver Media Center software) to “random” and listened for several hours to all sorts of sources. I will say that the CWT 1000 carbon speakers are really, really good in the mids and up. Superb. I did notice that about everything, even crappy stuff was unusually detailed sounding tonight. But, it is hard to A-B the differences across a ton of stuff, but the sound was in no way suggesting the jitter bug FMV was causing a problem, or in my case improving things for absolute certainty. But, as good as it sounds, and knowing there can’t ever be a ground loop in the noisiest part of my system say it stays in there. It absolutely does galvanically separate the two devices grounds. That’s always good. I doubt my PC is a holy grail of ground symmetry (no ground loops or dispersed ground paths). The PC industry simply don’t care about designing that out.

The Jitter Bug FMJ is more expensive than typical isolation devices but if you read the two part IGOR’S LAB anlysis of ground noise, it does the job really, really well. Compared to other things, and needing one device in my case, I’m OK with the added cost for a best of the best USB filter.

I would hope that high-end music server products have a best of the best galvanic isolator built in to all the USB by design. To me that’s part of the price, yes? My home built PC certainly does not! The JITTER BUG FMJ is exactly for applications like mine. If you are in the same situation, feeding USB to your DAC from a PC, try one out. A 100% isolated ground can’t hurt, only help.

Please do read the articles linked above to see that the Jitter Bug FMV is the real deal for separting the grounds, and the noise we don’t need between devices, especially from a PC. This is a really important article to read and understand with all our digital audio, but it seems to be boiled spinich based on the lack of interest / likes. It is from a PC tech site but 100% applicable to DIGTAL. The solution was to use “our” devices to fix a PC noise problem!

Tell Audio Quest Galen sent you and maybe nab a slight discount. May as well ask! If they go on sale, grab one. Also ask Paul if he can get some sort of IGOR’s LAB discount going for you all. I don’t get anything out of this except getting ground noise out of your system so your stuff sounds better. After all, that’s what ICONOCLAST does too, make your stuff sound better!

Best,
Galen

9 Likes

@BobBJC
Good morning and Happy Easter Bob.
Please check your email. :grin:

@rower30, care to give us any insights into this year’s AXPONA talk?

Tony,

Yes, I will go over the technical data reasons for the simple cable length answer, speaker-short, IC-long that we are told to abide by. But WHY? Well, after AXPONA you’ll know the tech behind the answer. Graphs and data and all. True for all cable’s, too. In God we trust, all else bring the data!

Best,
Galen

4 Likes

Oooh, this shouldn’t start any fireworks. :rofl: Looking forward to seeing this.

I will try to get video of the presentation again this year.

3 Likes

I thought the peeps here would be interested in this video about very small but measurable differences in interconnects and the associated sound signatures. Pretty cool stuff.

3 Likes

Good Friday morning to all. The coming week brings Axpona and for the first time in 4-years I’m going to get on an airplane (Boeing 737😳,) and fly from sunny Florida to Chicago. When I look back at all the years I spent 3-weeks of each month traveling the country I wonder how I did it.

When I separated from the military I swore I would “never” stand in line again and when I retired from Belden I swore “never again” would I go to the airport. “Never say never!”

Please come by for a hand shake and a smile. Travel safely and God Bless!!

11 Likes

Safe travels, Bob (and of course the rest of the Iconoclast crew). See you there!

1 Like

It will be a fun time, I promise!

Have a nice flight and enjoy Axpona!

1 Like

Analog is death by a thousand cuts. Every single step in the chain matters as reactive distortions are suprimposed on top of what the signal is at any given instant in time…and that stuff is distortion. Any one circuit block isn’t the problem, it is ALL the places! Realizing we can’t win the entire war but only help in one battle means every circuit block has to be as good as you can get it. That is the legacy of analog audio. Every step counts.

And yes, we can test cables for “distortion” and differences (Open-Short impedance and all that). Knowing analog is addative means cables do matter in the chain. Anyone who thinks complex analog signals that are time (reactance) distortion dependent aren’t impacted by reactive components needs to go back to fundamental engineering classes. It is impossible that they aren’t.

We can discuss WHEN a cable in an other wise really good chain can’t be heard, but that is not the same as saying it is not changing the end signal. It is. The better the cable, the more of a thousand cuts that can be tolerated elsewhere, too.

It all adds up. ICONOCLAST is trying to add the least we can. Enjoy a bunch of nothing as close to that as we can get it using accepted measurements and calculations.

Best,
Galen

10 Likes

Thanks for the explanation and you probably already know but your homage to the science behind the designs and factual published data sets is the reason I have a full loom of Iconoclast / Belden / BAV (ethernet, 120v power, XLR, coax, HDMI, Bi-wire speaker). Exemplary products and service.

4 Likes