Best cable when connected to PS Audio Memory Player?

Hello guys,

I’m a new owner of PS Audio DirectStream and PS Audio Memory Player. I’m wondering which type of cable (I2S, Coax, Optical, etc.) is the best to connect them. Plus, shall I buy an expensive cable, or a general cable is enough for them?

Thanks,

James Yu

Welcome, James!

I2S has a clock on a separate wire. It thus can be less jitter sensitive than AES/EBU, S/PDIF or TOSLink. On the DirectStream this is less of an issue than with many DACs, but it is nice to take advantage of every possible improvement. I place AES/EBU as second best.

I would start with a basic HDMI cable, get accustomed to the sound, and then try something audiophile approved to see if you hear a difference.

Elk said Welcome, James!

I2S has a clock on a separate wire. It thus can be less jitter sensitive than AES/EBU, S/PDIF or TOSLink. On the DirectStream this is less of an issue than with many DACs, but it is nice to take advantage of every possible improvement. I place AES/EBU as second best.

I would start with a basic HDMI cable, get accustomed to the sound, and then try something audiophile approved to see if you hear a difference.

Thanks for the help! How much difference can you tell between a basic HDMI cable and an audiophile approved cable?

Try a good short hdmi the shorter the better.

There is improvement to be heard with better shorter cables. Ps audio sells them as well

More accurate to say “PS Audio sold them.” For some time they were not selling any lengths shorter than 3M (and only the AC10 silver-coated copper wire version). At the moment they may have run out of those, none seem available.

I use the PS Audio top of the line silver one, the AC-12 HDMI cable, which I have in both 1M and .5M lengths. Both lengths sound the same to me with the DS. These are the best sounding HDMI cables I’ve used in this application.