Best diffusors

@timm - just came across this decent article. Although they frame the article as “soundproofing,” it’s more a dive into controlling acoustics as the means.

Thanks. I’ll take a look

I´d like to address that most people just look at the absorbtion vs. diffusion aspects. One should also look at the diffusions time domain factor. Just diffusing the sound only helps one problem, but still smear the sound. A good diffusor should also adjust the time domain.

Svanå (Swedish manufacturer) provides diffusors called “Wings” that addresses the time domain.

Acoustica Applicata DAAD (Italian manufacturer) provides absorbers/diffursors that addresses the time domain in its diffussion. By adjusting the level of low level absorbtion and the amount and angle of diffussion, you get a really high end diffusor.

DAADs where more known 10-15 years ago but still perform at the top. High end products. They are also healthier than glassfiber tubetraps that sends glassfiber dust into our living space.

Also, have a look at Acoustica Applicatas adjustable resonators. Great products.

2 Likes

Have you ever actually owned ASC Tubetraps @oceanrower? Because I have and still do. So do several other members on this forum. I found your comment about the dangers of exposure from glass fiber dust originating from TubeTraps to be either either ignorant or disingenuous. In order to expose the fiberglass contained within a commercially made Tubetrap directly to the air within the room, you would have to tear the TubeTrap apart completely.

1 Like

No I have not owned or used tubetraps based on internal glassfiber. I presently have got soft wood based absorbers (layer upon layers of fibers) and Acoustica Applicata DAADs. I have also got three other typs of wall based absorbers not suitable for low frequencies.

I respect the fact that no users of tubetraps (based on internal glassfiber) never reflect on the small dust particles long term usage provides, and do not even notice them. Tubetraps are not seen as dangerous and are allowed to be sold.

My intention was not to be ignorant or mislead someone, however the world is full of daily minor dangerous exposures. Example: MDF releases unhealty fumes (from the glue) approx the first two years of usage. A rugg can contain flame retardants, just as a new computer. If an audiophile care for his/her personal health is up to them. I know of people that only use ECO wool curtians. My intention was just to provide another aspect to reflect up on when choosing absorber/diffusors.

I´m no expert on ASC Tubetraps but the internet contains lots of information regarding tube traps with glassfiber internals that slowly degrade.

Actually, I have looked at purchasing ASC previously as they have got good performance in low frequencies. Specification Tubetraps

All is well… Let help each other to better sound… :grinning:

1 Like

@oceanrower your response continues to make the unfounded claim that continual exposure to silicon dioxide (glass) dust is an issue with well designed DIY or commercial room acoustic treatment products. The only way that we are potentially exposed to silicon dioxide (glass) dust from our acoustic treatments is if the fiberglass is not fully enclosed behind framing and appropriate fabric upholstery within the room treatment device.

I will look into the most common ways of constructing tubetraps. Thank you for providing information.

If you can afford Acoustica Applicata’s expensive wares, then you can certainly afford authentic ASC TubeTraps. My personal experience with DIY vs authentic TubeTraps is that ASC’s current Isothermal TubeTrap outperforms the best DIY TubeTrap design (built from expensive preformed fiberglass pipe insulation, router-cut plywood end caps, mylar lined heavy paper reflectors, and the same Guilford of Maine fabric upholstery which ASC and RPG use). For a near identically sized diameter and height (my last pair of DIY versions were actually an 1" larger in diameter and 2" taller, the Isothermal TubeTraps provided nearly an additional octave of effective low frequency absorption. The diffusive reflector in the authentic TubeTrap was also audibly superior to my best practice DIY version.

1 Like

Wow! Great picture! Looks like you have put a lot of time, money and effort into building a great room! Fantastic! Appreciated! :grinning: