Best female singer ever

Love Madeline Peyroux and let’s add Billie Holiday too!

2 Likes

Billie was very good, and I love her, but her drug problem caused inconsistencies in her performance. At her best, she was as good as any singer around, male or female. But, at times her performance was quite noticeable compromised.

I have favorites. Here are a few:

Helen Folasade Adu
Helen Merrill
Carmen McRae
Cassandra Wilson
Una Mae Carlisle

There is no best.

1 Like

Always been fond (OK, I’ll concede inamoured) of Gabriella Pace.

How could I forget the one and only Patsy Cline. That’s a voice that really haunts me in a good way.

2 Likes

Yes !
Elisabeth Schwarzkopf and Birgit Nilsson :+1:

+10 Ella

1 Like

The sexiest voice goes to Melody Gardot

2 Likes

See this list of the 20 greatest sopranos: http://www.classical-music.com/article/20-greatest-sopranos-all-time

While not the best regarding female vocalist, the delivery can be …
uh shall we say, sexy…

Jane Birkin:

See @stevensegal just below your comment for your answer.

I misunderstood. I thought the question was “best to me”, as in one’s favorite, regardless of others’ favorites…

2 Likes

Do I look like I’m upset?? I’m know I have done worse in my lifetime.

Was that for me?

You were the one apologizing for misunderstanding, weren’t you? I’m just trying to say, in my twisted, semi-senile way, that there isn’t any need to apologizing.

Ron, I just said that as I just don’t believe there are “best” of any art. There are so many wonderful artists and the response to art is so personal. And not everyone here would likely agree with the criteria to judge “the ultimate, best singer”–and if they did they would still not likely agree on one same personage. On a music board they try to force “consensus” on artists and recordings and even pressings and masterings and it just not something I can participate in.

Like you I can easily say “best for me,” my favorites, whose artistry and work I admire and value highly.

I understood it to be “best to me”also. Kind of like “what are the best speakers” sort of thing. At times my vote goes to Judy Garland although she had a rough row to hoe.

I was breaking my friend Lonson’s chops!

1 Like

And all the king’s horses. . . and all the king’s men. . . .

1 Like

Read my post an hour above that