Best way to connect a subwoofer or subwoofers

Thanks Terrance. I don’t see these types of connectors on the REL’s so I was confused. I have a Dynaudio Sub so I’m trying to put the pieces together.

Jensen makes a transformer that does the job. Here’s the one you need.

Cool little gizmo. Since I will be connecting a single sub to a par of M1200’s it looks like the ISO-Max Mono may be the best fit

Yes but many of us find a matching pair of subs is well worth the money. It’s fine to use just one side and add another at a later date.

Agreed a pair of subs would bring more life to the music but I have limited power outlets in this 1917 San Francisco apartment and am pushing the edge now but that’s for a future post titled “You Think You Have Power Issues”

Thanks for the advice I truly appreciate it.

1 Like

What I shows in my post above is from my JL Audio D110.
REL uses different connector for high level input. See the pic (mark in red cycle) grabbed from REL website.

When I was looking for a pair of sub years ago, I was looking for sub with highlevel input. At that time, I was very interested in Dynaudio sub (build in Denmark, I think). If I remember correctly, Dynaudio sub does not have high level input, So I picked JL Audio (build in FL and crutchfield.com carries them)

I’m a firm believer in having my stereo subs integrated into my system the same way Paul prefers them, running speaker outs from the main amp to the high-level (speaker) inputs on the subs as well as running the main amp directly to the main loudspeakers, allowing them to play fullrange.

For convenience reasons, I currently have the subs connected to the binding posts on my loudspeakers instead of directly to the amp, but it’s the same thing either way. I’m also using my older pair of Wireworld Oasis 7 bi-wire cables for the signal cables for the subs, injecting the signal into both inputs on each sub.

I find that running the subs/loudspeakers this way offers the best integration, not to mention the subs simply sound much better being fed the high-level signal rather than from low-level. With the high-level inputs, the subs have better dynamics, more extension, and a cleaner top end at the crossover point.

These are the same results I had when I was running my JL e110 subs, which reminds me, I need to box up and get ready to sell.

In short, I’ll never go back to low-level inputs for subs.

4 Likes

I swapped my sub’s input from RCA to high level input from BHK 300 amp yesterday. Night and day difference! So far, just one sub… but one day I can see myself sneaking in another. Playing the BHK Pre at 52, DSD Mk1 @ 92, plus sub is rocking! (SuperNova sub, about 16 yrs old). Can’t wait for my DSD Mk2 to arrive

3 Likes

To achieve a totally seamlessly blend with my stand monitors, I finally took Paul’s philosophy to heart and sent the high pass signals directly from my power amp to the single subs’ high-level inputs and set the stand monitors’ full range. This change has furthered enhanced tonality, transients, speed, and resolution of the bottom 2 octaves, as the sub signal receives the same sonic signatures of the main power amp! Additionally, soundstaging, imaging and holographic presentation have also been improved within the full bandwidth system/listening room response of 18Hz to 28kHZ!! :wink:

1 Like