Beta Test Impressions of the New Strata

Where did you get the PS Connect IOS app? Thought it wasn’t out yet?

there are several links to it in this very thread

2 Likes

It doesn’t work. I’ve scanned it with 3 different QR readers on my iPad and nothing happens, nothing installs.
On the iPad I don’t have “Settings -> General -> Profiles & Device Management”
I searched for Linkplay Tech App and only found the company that makes it.

Or is this only for an iPhone and not an iPad?

Works on my iPad, albeit sideways. What model do you have? I guess its possible it may not work on older ones. You could also try going to the web page and download it manually rather than relying on the QR thingy. Click the blue “Download iOS App” button.

My iPad shows this:

Though prior to going into the Device Management setting, it may not say “Linkplay…” yet. Go in there and enable it.

Safari can’t open the link.
OK, 4th try to scan I got the app installed. Thanks.

Hey James - can you find out what “Line In” is about on the PS Connect App? Is there any sort of manual for the app?

Not sure. I’m going to ask the team. Standby.

I was just doing a comparison while playing a CD and playing the same album on Tidal. I was switching between my Oppo 105 analog out, Oppo coax out, and using the USB connection from a Mac AirBook. After a couple minutes the coax signal went silent. I tried a different CD and got sound from the analog signal but none from the digital coax. Restarted the Strata and things are back to normal.

Is the app supposed to be able to pick up on a DLNA server?

Yes - it should

The app does not see Audirvana on my side. Audirvana contols Strata itself well though.

When I play music through Audirvana, Ps Connect shows the song playing but has no info on where it’s coming from.

I’ve noticed switching between digital sources, it taking a while to latch onto the new one. Which may or may not be related to what you’re saying.

Turns out it’s not applicable. The Bridge module has an ability to have a line in, but obviously we’re completely by-passing that nonsense.

1 Like

That’s not the issue, it flat out stopped playing thru the coax. I first blamed it on the Oppo but after rebooting the Strata the problem went away.

1 Like

That’s interesting, because I think it was the coax that I had the problem with as well.

As I continue to listen to the Strata, I am struck by how it conveys a good recording so accurately and warmly, but also how it shows up a poor recording. There is no such a thing as background music with the Strata.

2 Likes

Hello, I wanted to say a few things about the Strata real quick. This thing is amazing so far, the day it came in, I listened for 7 hours straight with no fatigue at all. I have been letting it burn in during the day while at work and it seems to get better every day. At this time, I have only used it via streaming. I did not have any issues connecting to wifi or with android. I am planning on connecting other inputs this week to test more and will give a full review after. Side note to “yoduh”, holding vol up/dn works without issue on mine.
Things I’ve found that I like so far:

1. The sound is great. Some songs are so realistic you feel like you can reach out and touch the singer.
  2. I feel it has a very nice, clean look. Seems to be very well built.
  3. The remote has a nice feel to it. I did not have the issue of finding the vol buttons when dark.
  4. You can easily switch between Tidal & Qobuz without interruption.
  5. You can control the volume by the phone (Mine changes in steps of 10 using android)
  6. I like the “Play next” option on the app.
  7. Did I mention the sound? I will go in greater detail on this after I’ve played with it some more.
    Things I don’t like:
  8. The bitrate is too small to see in seating position.
  9. I wish there was an “add to queue” or “add to list” option on the app, like the “Play next”. (I found myself several times thinking of a song I wanted to listen to next but already had a song on “play next” and by the time it went to the next song, I had forgotten what I was wanting to listen to.)
  10. Metadata option on strata does not let me turn it on.
  11. Tidal does not show bitrate on app, always shows 44.1k/16b on strata even when listening to tidal masters.
  12. The other day while streaming, the PS light was flashing, music still playing but remote and buttons on unit were non responsive. Had to power off via back of unit.
  13. YouTube music is not available on app. (I use this for background music because I like the “My Mix” option.
  14. Favorite icon does nothing on app.
    These are just a few things so far. I am very happy with the Strata. My favorite part is my 15-year old son is really getting into hifi now and it has been a great bonding experience. I will post more in a few days. Keep up the great work!
1 Like

This alone makes your demo a worthwhile experience! Priceless really! Totally serious here. My kids are not there yet but I hope someday it’ll be something we can bond over. Right now hifi has nothing on Minecraft and Fortnite for them : (

Treasure the moments -

2 Likes

Will the Bridge and App find my ITunes on my computer or do I have to hardwire through USB?

Hi, some initial thoughts here. I received my Strata on 5/2. I’m very impressed with the looks of it in person! Packaging was great as others have noted. I had no issues getting anything hooked up. I have the Streamer connected via ethernet cable, a CD player via optical, a turntable via analog, and utilizing the home theater bypass with my Marantz NR1403. My previous integrated I used was the Sprout100. I have Zu Audio Omen Dirty Weekend speakers, a Fluance RT81 turntable, and a rarely used Pioneer CD/SACD player. In an effort to accelerate the burn in process I’ve pretty much had some sort of music and/or TV playing through the Strata 24hrs a day since receiving. I primarily use Amazon for streaming and haven’t been able to get anything higher than 44/16 although I pay for the higher quality with Amazon. Also when skipping through various albums or playlists on Amazon in the PS app there is an annoying 9 sec lag for the screen to catch up to the sound. When searching for different songs I’ve been unable to play them directly, I have to play the album and then skip to the song I want to hear. The volume level seems to be very loud at setting 1 even with the -10 trim, definitely too loud for late night listening in my household. When I change the volume via the app it will change by 7 at a time versus 1 on the remote control. Also the volume isn’t adjustable via the external volume buttons on the phone when the phone is in the locked mode. One thing about the sound is that the bass seems almost non-existent unless I really crank the volume level past 20 at which point the overall sound can get a little fatiguing after a short amount of time. Wondering if I have a defective unit as others seem to be raving about the bass right out of the box, I never had an issue with the bass my Sprout100 put out. I signed up for Qobuz and can play it through my iPhone speaker but when trying to stream via the PS app it always says “login failed”, maybe due to being on the free trial? I’ve quickly realized that I’ll need to purchase an external phono stage as the one built into my turntable doesn’t seem anywhere close to what I had been used to with the Sprout100, will probably go with the Schiit Mani. When playing CD’s via Optical you can still hear music at volume level 0. The HT bypass works as advertised, I have the level set at 50 and that definitely helps with the bass output. In all modes of listening there is a fairly prominent hiss that comes through the super tweeters of my speakers, not audible from my listening position but I do wonder if that hiss is supposed to be present at all? And I’ve had the same blinking issue with the PS Audio button that others have reported, it’s probably happened a total of 4 times the past week. The owner’s manual says to turn off the Strata via that button or remote before switching it off in the back but when the light is blinking that doesn’t work.

1 Like