BHK Beta Tester Reports

magister said

One question: The IV-jr speakers work best when bi-wired (or bi-amped) according to VSA. I have been bi-amping, running a good tube amp (Golden Tube SE-40) on the treble/mid modules and a less expensive but powerful solid-state amp (NAD C275BEE) on the bass units. This has worked well. I’m sure the Signature 250 would be a good match for the bass of my IV-jr’s, but might be overkill for the top half.

NO!!! By all means USE the BHK on the top half!!! You’re going to miss out on a LOT of upper-end signals and miss out on all those extra sonic textures I discovered were missing from my original amp. To go back to the car analogy it’d be like buying the 'vette or Ferrari and only using the extra performance on the straightaway but driving the twisty mountain roads like a Corolla. You’d be throwing half your performance away.

magister said

Any downside to running more power than I need to the treble/mid modules? Also, just to confirm: I think I see two sets of binding posts in the photo of the back of the Signature 250, so bi-wiring would be easy. Is that right?

Yep, use the bi-wire feature. It’s built-in.

–SSW

As usual, I’m a little late to the party, but in a sense I was one of the last to get an invitation! Actually I was one of the last to order the BHK 250 Signature, mainly because I struggled with the financial impact of buying the amp, so it took me a little extra time to commit, but Paul and Scott convinced me it was the right thing to do. Boy, were they right! Thanks Paul and Scott! Further delaying me was the amp arriving a day after I went out of town for nine days. PS Audio really tried to get it delivered the day before I left, but Fed Ex would not cooperate and deliver on Saturday (am I not special to Fed Ex? (tongue planted firmly in cheek)).

Now for a little background. I’ve been an “audiophile” for a long time, starting with a Creek integrated, VPI HW-19, and Fried Beta speakers. A modest sytem that told me there were good things down this audiophile road. Over the years I have had for amps a PS Audio Elite integrated (bought new), a modifed Bedini amp (bought used), and for the past 13 years an Audio Research Classic 60 (bought used). For speakers I’ve been a Vandersteen fan for over twenty years, starting with 2Ci (bought new), then 3A Signatures (bought used), and now Model 5 (original model, bought used). While I have been reading audiophile magazines since the early 80’s, my expereince in upgrading has not mirrored the usually over the top effusing from the reviewers. That, in combination with my tendancy to be, uh, a little “frugal”, has kept me from practicing the Audiophile revolving door scenario of regular equipment swap outs. It has also driven me to pursue high value used components. Which brings me back to the Classic 60, it was a high value component and I have been pretty happy with it, though, in all honesty I never tried anything else, well at least anything that was supposed to be better. Now along comes this here amp…

I have been watching the development of the new amp for some time and I was very intrigued with the inital Hypex design in that it was very energy efficient (remember, I’m frugal). While the significant energy cost savings of the prototype Hypex amp was a good thing (the Classic 60 draws 370 watts at idle, 500 watts at rated output), my main concern was driven by my typical operating scenario of turning the amp on in the morning and leaving it on most or all of the day, at least in the cooler months when I tend to stay indoors more. (Side note, tube amps make great room heaters in colder months, a plus in my cold basement room). Aside from energy use, the long operation hours depleted the tube life. Audio Research doesn’t seem to believe in “stand by” where tube bias is reduced or shut off. Frequent turning off and on was not a good idea either, tubes tend to fail more often with start up current rather than steady state operation. While I have been a tube lover, I was fully aware of the dawbacks so I was still on board when Paul changed over to a more traditional solid state design, but my interest rose when decided to go with a tube front end. Front end tubes have a longer life and are more affordable (try pricing an octet of quality 6550’s), but get you some of that “tube magic”. The allure was just too strong to deny…

Now, onto some sound observations. When I returned home the massive box was just begging me to do something with it. I couldn’t unpack it then let it sit and idle with no load for a while or hook it up to another system, it went straight into the main system. After all, I’ve been waiting a while for this moment! On first listen I was quite surprised at how good it sounded right out of the box. There wasn’t any nasty harshness which seems to be a common trait of break-in. Just nice smooth sound with good bass and a nice wide soundstage. perhaps the run-in that PS Audio did ameliorated the worst part of break-in. I’ve been running it continuously since this past Tuesday, so just over 100 hours, and it has improved a small amount, but I’m not hearing any huge improvements. We shall see if further improvements come about. What I hear at this stage from the BHK 250 Signature, relative to my Classic 60, is (in no particular order), better bass, wider soundstage, better articulation, and greater ease. I’ll summarize each of these below.

Bass: My Vandersteen Model 5’s have a built in subwoofer, so they require a high pass filter between preamp and amp that starts rolling off around 140Hz and is 3 dB down at 100 Hz. As such, one might think the bass performance of the amp was not as critical as the rest of the frequency range. One might be wrong. I was surpised at the improvement in the bass, in terms of overall frequency performance I actually noticed the bass more than anything else. I wouldn’t say it is deeper, the subwoofer handles those double digit frequencies after all, but definitely cleaner and better defined.

Wider soundstage: Tube amps are known to offer a more three dimensional soundstage, whether that is accurate or an artifact, I don’t know and won’t go there! But the BHK 250 Signature provides a wider and more realistic soundstage compared to the Classic 60. Several of the recordings I have listened to so far have soundstages outside the confines of the speaker, something that was rare with the Classic 60. I will say my room is small, 13’ wide (at the speakers, but 16’ wide at the listening position) and 14’ deep, with a 7’ ceiling, so my ability to get a huge soundstage is, sadly, limited.

Better articulation: It’s still early in the evaluation, but my thought here is the BHK is just so much faster than the Classic 60 that everything is articulated much better. After listening to some music the first day I pulled out the Sheffield/XLO Test & Burn-in CD, my intent being to run the burn-in track on repeat overnight. Rather than jumping direct to that track I started at the begining to see if I noticed anything. For reference, I had played this disc not that long ago with the Classic 60 so I had some aural memory of it’s performance. I didn’t notice anything major with the first three tracks, but then I got to Track 4, the “clap” track. I nearly jumped out of my chair the claps were so sharp. To me the rise time of the signal is so much faster you get that sharp transient that goes right through you and elicits the involuntary jump! This shouldn’t be too surprising since tubes are a little slow and tend to add some fuzziness to the sound (which can be a good thing some times). I hear this same thing in regular music tracks, though to a somewhat lesser degree (probably due to recording technique). Things like bells and delicate cymbals just sound so clear, it’s wonderful.

Greater ease: I think this comes down to power. The Classic 60 is a 60 watt push-pull triode. Definitely not a power house but more power than you think and I thought enough. I have been told the Vandersteens need more power, and well, they’re right (duh). I’m not normally a high volume listener (trying to preserve what hearing I have left), but I did notice with the Classic 60 classical music at realistic volumes had congestion, distortion, and general unpleasantness that I do not hear in the concert hall. Given this I was hesitant to go to higher power tubes since I wasn’t sure I needed the power and it means either pentode operation (or a variant thereof) and/or more tubes (side note: the Audio Research Ref 110 was my “target” amp, yes I know it’s not a triode). With the BHK 250 Signature I get the power I need and some tubes so I got the best of both worlds. Most importantly, now the strain is mostly gone! There remains some, but almost certainly that is an artifact of my room. I really should do some work on that room…

Now for a few, uh, comments.

First the packaging. First off, when the box arrived it had one strap and four edge supports in place. The one strap was off center so I thought it had slid over. Turns out there are supposed to be two straps, one must have fallen off in transit. I was able to slide off the one strap without too much difficulty, didn’t want to cut it not knowing what lie beneath. Not sure this is an indication the straps should be tighter or Fed Ex likes to mess with their customers (unthinkable!). It is defintiely a sturdy box, but on opening I was a little surprised that the only thing keeping the top on was the strap. Everything inside was intact, the amp was inside a well sealed plastic bag with plenty of rigid foam cradling it, so no issues with the elements, but from the standpoint of security the straps seem a little lacking. I was able to get the amp out of the box with a grunt or two, but after removing I noticed some odd little “clips” on two sides of the inner box. Not sure what they are for, but seem to be some sort of lock. No instructions saying what to do with them either.

Operational issues. I only had one, my Classic 60 is single ended, so my first hook up of the BHK was with single ended cables. Got a nasty buzz, so must of had a ground loop. This didn’t occur with the Classic 60, so I tried a different set of interconnects to make sure nothing went wrong changing out the cables, alas, same problem. It was a constant level, not impacted by volume or if the DS (no preamp) was muted or not. Removing the cables from the BHK stopped the buzz. The good news is I have wanted to switch to balanced operation since I got the Vandersteen 5’s. They came with balanced crossovers, but I couldn’t use them with my Classic 60 (it’s single ended). I have been using a homemade crossover of high quality capacitors so switching to the Vandersteen crossovers probably introduced a small improvement on its own, but I don’t think it was anywhere near the change the BHK introduced. Thankfully, with balanced operation no buzz. I’m not sure if I would call the single ended ground loop a defect at this point, more experimenting is required.

In summation I am very pleased with the BHK 250 Signature, it is a wonderful upgrade to my system. To put it into perspective, I think it is a more significant upgrade than going from PWD Mk II to DS. That’s not a knock against PS Audio, but rather the PWD is an excellent product, whereas my Classic 60 was an excellent product 20 years ago, now long surpassed. I think it also confirms for me Pauls position that the amp is one of the most important pieces in the chain. Well done and highly recommended!

Magister, I was writing my review when you posted your quandry, but I think you should get the BHK and ditch the two amps. You can definitely bi-wire with the two sets of posts, but more importantly, the BHK will be so much better run full range that you will never miss bi-amping. For reference, Richard Vandersteen used to recommend bi-amping but he’s come around to recommend running a single amp full range for better sound. Can’t say if this true for Von Schweikert speakers, but the thinking should be close. Of course the speaker upgrade is a good thing too, but ditching the amps will cover some of the cost.

pmotz said

Operational issues. I only had one, my Classic 60 is single ended, so my first hook up of the BHK was with single ended cables. Got a nasty buzz, so must of had a ground loop. This didn’t occur with the Classic 60, so I tried a different set of interconnects to make sure nothing went wrong changing out the cables, alas, same problem. It was a constant level, not impacted by volume or if the DS (no preamp) was muted or not. Removing the cables from the BHK stopped the buzz. The good news is I have wanted to switch to balanced operation since I got the Vandersteen 5’s. They came with balanced crossovers, but I couldn’t use them with my Classic 60 (it’s single ended). I have been using a homemade crossover of high quality capacitors so switching to the Vandersteen crossovers probably introduced a small improvement on its own, but I don’t think it was anywhere near the change the BHK introduced. Thankfully, with balanced operation no buzz. I’m not sure if I would call the single ended ground loop a defect at this point, more experimenting is required.

I have EXACTLY the same buzzing experience in 2 systems. No issue running it balanced.

Great write up pmotz

@woot: thank you for sharing your experiences with upgrades to VSA speakers and with biwiring; both observations are helpful, and the former agrees with what I’ve heard elsewhere.

@streets: well, I have no doubt about what you think I should do! And I will consider carefully what you said.

@pmotz: thanks for your comments about running full-range as well as for you detailed descriptions of what the Signature does in your system. We have some things in common (frugality/willingness to buy used, tendency to keep equipment for some time, fondness for tubes, and a small room), which makes your comments all the more interesting.

Decisions, decisions . . .

@magister If you’re ever in the Phoenix area PM me for a listen

pmotz said

In summation I am very pleased with the BHK 250 Signature, it is a wonderful upgrade to my system. To put it into perspective, I think it is a more significant upgrade than going from PWD Mk II to DS. That’s not a knock against PS Audio, but rather the PWD is an excellent product, whereas my Classic 60 was an excellent product 20 years ago, now long surpassed. I think it also confirms for me Pauls position that the amp is one of the most important pieces in the chain. Well done and highly recommended!

Try PWD vs DS again and you will see that the difference is significant. Most likely your previous amp was the weakest link, not the source, and it did not let you hear the whole potential of the DS. Also it can be the combination. Is your DS connected directly to the BHK250?

magister said Well, Bascom and Paul, you've put me into this exact quandry. A while back I posted that I was thinking of upgrading my speakers and got some good recommendations from folks here. Recently I learned that there is now a factory upgrade available for my Von Schweikert VRIV-jr speakers. Mine are original and the new ugprade is Mk 4 (I never did the Mk 2 or 3 upgrade). I talked to someone who did this upgrade from an original, like mine, and declared it definitely worth the money, $5000. You get a whole new speaker, except for the cabinets. Not only would I get improved SQ, but my speakers would be good for years to come. They still work fine, but anything that flexes constantly is going to fail sooner or later, and they are now 12 years old.

I had just about decided to get the upgrade later this summer when I started reading all the good things about the BHK Signature. I think my amps may be the part of my system most in need of improvement, so I’m now debating whether to postpone the speakers and go for the amp. It will be some time before I can spend a significant amount of money on components again, so this is a significant choice.

It is a significant choice and a tough one at that because most of us cannot do both and even if we could, it might not be the best idea since changing too many things at once isn't always a smart move.

I look at it like this. The amplifier, like the AC power, is the foundation of the system; the meat and potatoes. Get those things right first, invest well and you’ll never regret it. Until I started playing with amps again I was like everyone else I know, ignoring the amp - it just sits there and works. But then I started playing with various designs and was at first startled with the differences. Some of the amps simply lost details, space, harmonics altogether! I don’t know where they went, but I do know once they are lost the best speakers in the world cannot bring them back. Like the food. Remove the flavor and it doesn’t matter how fancy the plate is you serve it on.

Once I realized all the missing info I began a hunt for what brought it back - in a natural way, without added tizz and fizz which I got with class D - and all I could find was a few tube amps. But they lacked in the bass, power and majesty of music, though they didn’t lose any of its precious details and harmonics. And that’s when I first heard the prototype of Bascom’s Constellation amplifier. While not perfect in all respects, it did capture all that was on the music and did so in such a natural open manner that I was shocked. Truly shocked. That’s when I realized all my efforts to design something similar were being wasted. I had to have this. The rest is history.

I guess the moral of this story, in answer to your question, is go for the amp. Get it right and you can lay that piece of the puzzle to rest forever. Once the proper amp, preamp is in place, speakers can come and go to suit your fancy and your room - but you have at least a rock solid foundation, one you can trust and enjoy for the rest of your musical life.

I haven’t had such confidence in a product’s perfectness for many, many years. Trust. It’s tough to find perfection in anything, but the BHK pours a half century of one man’s life into a single box and if you can manage to own one, you will never regret it.

“I haven’t had such confidence in a product’s perfectness for many, many years. Trust. It’s tough to find perfection in anything, but the BHK pours a half century of one man’s life into a single box and if you can manage to own one, you will never regret it”.

Stirring Words, Paul… I am sold… When will I’ ( “Non Beta” ) - Mere Hoi Polloi - The Great Unwashed - be able to buy a pair of the 300 mono amplifiers -:wink: ? When will they be available ?

Paul McGowan said I guess the moral of this story, in answer to your question, is go for the amp. Get it right and you can lay that piece of the puzzle to rest forever. Once the proper amp, preamp is in place, speakers can come and go to suit your fancy and your room - but you have at least a rock solid foundation, one you can trust and enjoy for the rest of your musical life.

I haven’t had such confidence in a product’s perfectness for many, many years. Trust. It’s tough to find perfection in anything, but the BHK pours a half century of one man’s life into a single box and if you can manage to own one, you will never regret it.

Paul, thank you for your detailed response. Your conclusion makes sense. I have learned a few things since entering the workforce almost 40 years ago, so I do appreciate that the Signature 250 benefits from BHK’s lifetime involvement in audio. The one good thing is that whichever I decide on, my system will sound noticeably better!

Let’s leave discussing Class D amps to another thread, please.

Reminder: This is the BHK Beta Tester Thread. We also have a separate “dump everything here” BHK thread for other BHK topics which, coincidentally, is where the Class D posts have gone, starting here.

We are also getting a lot of non-BHK specific chatter here. Please post this in the other BHK thread or, just imagine! topical threads as appropriate. I know this herd of cats likes to pick a thread and to post everything in it, relevant or not, but we are trying to keep this at least this one thread on topic - BHK beta testing.

So, where do I begin… OK, let’s start with my childhood. One of my hobbies (oh, I had and still have many!) was radio-technique. I began with a simplest detector receiver (I think I was 7 or 8 at that time). Then when I was 9 or 10 something I found a thrown away old, built around 1953-1956, tube radio receiver with a built-in turntable (remember them?) and was immediately hooked to the tubes. My grand-parents had a similar one, but this one was all mine and I could sneak inside to watch the gleaming cathodes. Some years later I built a tube receiver by myself (must confess, my soldering technique sucks). I think it was my first completed audio-project. I still remember the warmth of the tubes, the warmth of the sound and the warm light…

Fast forward to my first serious attempt to build a high quality audio system. And my first integrated amp was Densen. I quickly switched to Densen separates and after a couple of years I thought that I needed something more. My audio dealer gave me PassLabs x150 and Classe (do not remember the exact mode, but it was the same class as x150) to play with at home. It was difficult. I could not find any significant differences. I really wanted to like the PassLabs more, but with my Magnepan 0.6, the Classe sounded less harsh. When I told that to the dealer, he harrumphed and connected the x150 to a pair of Martin Logans, standing in the demo room. I was floored. “Nice amp, huh?” he said.

As you may have guessed I replaced my Maggies with Logans. I learnt two lessons:

o- begin upgrading with the weakest link
o- the power amp must match the speakers

But later I said good bye to Densen and bought PassLabs x250 and x1 and happy lived with them for 10 years. Of course, I replaced many components but we are on the amps, aren’t we?

The BHK250 was the first component I did not immediately put in the signal chain but let it cooking for 10 days (see above). During the last two days I tried to remember the X250 sound going through my usual test tracks and the disk Paul sent us. There was one revelation - Daft Punk. Of course, I heard “Get lucky” and “Around the world”, but this was, actually, it. After listening to the first 60 seconds of the track “Within” from the test disk, I immediately began to search the Internet for the entire album. And yesterday we were enjoying the hi-rez version of “Random Access Memories”.
Thanks much to whoever from PSA (Paul?) for the test disk!

But I digressed. Yesterday I mentioned to my wife:“This is the first time I’m not in a hurry to replace anything. I LOVE the sound. Since the PWD upgrade we do not have background music anymore. Everything takes your attention and make you listen.”

Before replacing the x250 with BHK250 today we ran through the test recordings again. I took some notes about the imaging, the sound stage, the resonances, sibilants, side tones, compression, etc, and again I could not complain about anything but some bad recording engineering.

Then with a help from my son and my wife we removed the x250 from the Finite Elemente Master Reference rack and put the BHK250 on its place on four Finite Elemente CeraPuc feet. It was not easy, but then came the actual nightmare - connecting the rigid unyielding MIT Oracle speaker cables to the closely placed BHK250 binding posts. I did complain about the x250 binding posts, but the gorgeously looking BHK ones turned to be … Houston, we have a problem… I could not tighten the nut with a wrench - the whole binding post rotated and I was afraid the the internal wiring gets damaged. After one of the nut stuck I had to move the cable to the next available post (fortunately, there are two pairs per channel). I finally succeeded, but I’m afraid that the spades will get loose and short-circuit the outputs.

Anyway, we were ready.

Simon & Garfunkel “Scarborough Fair”.

Hm… interesting. Extended highs… More air… Yet some strange resonances. Possibly the amp is still cold (It was turned off for at least an hour).

Suzanne Vega “Sound of Sand” and “Private goes public”.

Yes. This is it. I mean… This is Suzanne, sitting in front of me, slightly to the right, singing and playing a guitar. Me and my wife exchanged a meaningful look and she said:“This is Suzanne. A real woman singing in our room”. Not bad at all!!!

Shelby Lynne “Just a little Loving”

I almost jumped with the first sound of drums and cymbals. Very fast and dynamic. Like they should be. My Logans have active subwoofers (two 200W class-D amps per speaker!), but with the BHK250 the bass is more extended, more defined and outlined and easier to follow. And again - different (extended?) highs.

Turtle Creek Chorale. Requiem Agnus Dei

This track did not impress me on the x250. Yes, the stage was wide, wider than speakers, yes, it’s three-dimensional, yes, the pipe organ goes very deep, but that’s about it. I actually found it a little boring…
The BHK250 version made me stare with my ears. WTF??? The sound stage is still almost the same, but more “spacy”, no clutter, excellent separation, effortlessness, but there was something else… After a minute I felt tears on my cheeks… The intonation, the music, the emotions get into the bones… It was unbelievable…

Daft Punk “Within”

I already mentioned, that this is an amazing album (the Best Album and and the Best Engineered Album of 2014), beautiful composition. But the BHK250 showed something more. The astonishing piano intoning and voicing, feelings, intimacy… Here I stopped thinking about making notes and switched from the low-rez test disk to the hi-rez version. I just wanted to listen, who cares about that review…

2cellos. “Hysteria”

The x250 keeps your attention and does not release you until the end. Yet you follow the effects. Then you are allowed to breath again. The BHK250 made my wife crying… I forgot about the effects. When it stopped my wife said (still sobbing):"“How do they live with … this … inside?”

Pentatonix. “Little Drummer Boy”

Oh, so beautiful… Yet the sound was a bit strange, like the high notes were smearing. Bad engineering?

I would love to listen longer, but our daughter had to study for her exam, so with a sigh we turned the system off. But now we have 3TB of new music.

Oh, yes, my PassLabs x1 and x250 are officially on sale.

When making comparisons with much older gear you must keep in mind that some maintenance becomes necessary as parts like electrolytic capacitors dry out over time and will cause the equipment to not perform as designed. As a case in point, after completely recapping my Krell KSA250s new life was breathed into them. In 20 years of use they were long overdue.

Thanks guys, and yes, there are two things you can count on: that your system will sound remarkably better than it did, and that once installed you will never have to be concerned about any missing details. Your foundation will be a solid one, one that you can trust.

BHKs, both stereo and mono go on sale next month, June, near the end. There’s a limited number available so if you’re interested, contact us. I do not know which dealers will have them, but we will and we can also tell you if a dealer near you will.

Alekz said

Anyway, we were ready.

Simon & Garfunkel “Scarborough Fair”.

Hm… interesting. Extended highs… More air… Yet some strange resonances. Possibly the amp is still cold (It was turned off for at least an hour).

Suzanne Vega “Sound of Sand” and “Private goes public”.

Yes. This is it. I mean… This is Suzanne, sitting in front of me, slightly to the right, singing and playing a guitar. Me and my wife exchanged a meaningful look and she said:“This is Suzanne. A real woman singing in our room”. Not bad at all!!!

Shelby Lynne “Just a little Loving”

I almost jumped with the first sound of drums and cymbals. Very fast and dynamic. Like they should be. My Logans have active subwoofers (two 200W class-D amps per speaker!), but with the BHK250 the bass is more extended, more defined and outlined and easier to follow. And again - different (extended?) highs.

Turtle Creek Chorale. Requiem Agnus Dei

This track did not impress me on the x250. Yes, the stage was wide, wider than speakers, yes, it’s three-dimensional, yes, the pipe organ goes very deep, but that’s about it. I actually found it a little boring…
The BHK250 version made me stare with my ears. WTF??? The sound stage is still almost the same, but more “spacy”, no clutter, excellent separation, effortlessness, but there was something else… After a minute I felt tears on my cheeks… The intonation, the music, the emotions get into the bones… It was unbelievable…

Daft Punk “Within”

I already mention, that this is an amazing album (the Best Album and and the Best Engineered Album of 2014), beautiful composition. But the BHK250 showed something more. The astonishing piano intoning and voicing, feelings, intimacy… Here I stopped thinking about making notes and switched from the low-rez test disk to the hi-rez version. I just wanted to listen, who cares about that review…

2cellos. “Hysteria”

The x250 keeps your attention and does not release you until the end. Yet you follow the effects. Then you are allowed to breath again. The BHK250 made my wife crying… I forgot about the effects. When it stopped my wife said (still sobbing):"“How do they live with … this … inside?”

Pentatonix. “Little Drummer Boy”

Oh, so beautiful… Yet the sound was a bit strange, like the high notes were smearing. Bad engineering?

I would love to listen longer, but our daughter had to study for her exam, so with a sigh we turned the system off. But now we have 3TB of new music.

Oh, yes, my PassLabs x1 and x250 are officially on sale.

Wow Alex, what a great review! Not because I am so thrilled you are hearing what the others are, and independently so, but because the quality of writing is amazing. I got chills just reading you and your wife’s reaction to music - the Requiem piece from Reference, it can sound so ordinary, yet when played through a proper amp - and there are so few of those - it becomes a tear jerker. Now you guys get why I am so fricking excited!

Interesting thing, I hear some kind of congestion (compression?) and strain/hardness in the treble area, what usually is associated with not fully broken-in components. Most likely ~200 hours is not enough for BHK250. Did anybody else notice any changes in the sound between 200 and 400 hours?

It can be related to the cable with a switchable impedance. I use MIT Oracle 3.2 balanced cable that can be set to work with the following loads:

o- 5-50 kOhm

o- 40-100 kOhm

o- 90-higher kOhm

According to the BHK documentation the input impedance is higher than 100 kOhm, so I set it to the 3d range. When PassLabs x250 amp was in the chain, the cable was set to the 1st range. Probably the previously unused magic-box components need some time to break-in as well.

More rather technical-analytical notes from an extended listening session today:

o- I see what Paul meant by saying that the record/tape noise is separated now from the music. It can be heard on the stereo amp as well.

o- The music can now be heard more as a whole. Yet the individual lines are more distinct and can be easier followed.

o- The differences between recordings are more obvious (yes, again). But not that the bad recordings sound like crap now, no. You do see all the shortcomings, but the essence can be better followed and good recordings sound “one step more” better. In other words, the difference between 5 and 7 is 2. If you multiply both 5 and 7 by 2, the difference will be 4. Yet the “5” is now “10”. See what I mean?

o- The bass is more controlled.

o- I still hear compression or over-politeness. The transients are fantastic, triangles, cymbals are sharp, clear and can be pinpointed in the space, but I would like to have a wider dynamic diapason. I can’t say if it’s not enough juice, not enough break-in, not enough PPP (P10 is an obvious upgrade, of course), not enough good fuses, not enough power line or not enough something else.

What is the difference between a good control and over-politeness, uncontrolled and good dynamics, bad resonances and good room reverberation? Yes, it should be somewhere in between, but I just want to understand in what direction to dig.

o- The highs also puzzle me. They do feel like they are extended, and I would all the amp sounding brighter than PassLabs x250. And PassLabs amps are known for warm sound. It is entirely possible, that the x250 has rolled-off highs and I got used to this sound. Also it can be attributed to the power or to the break-in period.

o- The amp runs hot, just like the x250, despite the difference in the power consumption. The x250 fins are bigger, though.

o- I wonder what the PSAudio tube preamp might bring to (or steal from) the picture

o- I want the monos and at least one P10

Alekz said o- I still hear compression or over-politeness. ...
More observations from another listening session today. The above mentioned "compression" can be attributed to the following:

o- overly compressed recording

o- low level

I haven’t noticed any compression today. But I do tend to set up volume 3-5 DS levels higher than when the x250 was in the chain. I think that it’s related to a much better control, lower noise floor, less overall “mud & clutter” of the BHK amp.

The room/equipment resonances are a bit different now. I noticed a strange chatter or droning sound I never heard before. After careful investigation it turned out that this sound was coming from a loose loudspeaker spike! We played 2cellos albums many times right before I replaced the x250 with the BHK, but I did not hear these room/speaker resonances (there were others). What confirms what was said in this forum, that the resonance/vibration control and loudspeaker placement need to be adjusted when you change a component.

Just in case to avoid any misunderstanding. The extended highs of the BHK do not sound sibilant! I’m very sensitive to sibilants, and even if the amp MIGHT sound brighter, it actually makes sibilant records much more listenable. (A reminder to myself - need to try one awful track with a stinging vocal… Ear-bleeding sibilant…)

CAUTION!!! I stripped one of my spade lugs with not all that much torque. These spade lugs take a bit of getting used to. When you loosen them they come un-threaded, but don’t come off the post. They are a bit finicky to get started again. The one that stripped did come off and the threads are REALLY fine. I contacted PSA but have not heard back from them yet. Scott Schroeder may be at THE Show in Newport, I don’t know. I’m hopeing to not have to send it back, hoping PSA can send me the part. I’m adept at soldering if it needs that. Hopefully Paul or somebody will chime in.

Also I do not notice much difference in volume running balanced. Running my pre amp at “72” which is Unity Gain level with balanced cables volume was 97 Left, 92 Right at 1 meter C weighting, slow on a Rat Shack sound pressure meter running pink noise via CD or JRiver. With RCA’s it was 96 Left, 91 Right. I’m trying to figure out why there is a 5dB difference between channels. I’m thing the DAC or possibly my speakers.

Woot, have you checked the balance setting on your DirectStream DAC? Also, I thought I stripped one of the binding posts on my BHK. I loosened it completely and retighten it sucessfully.