BHK Mono first listen

I received my BHK300 mono blocks yesterday - apparently the first shipment to Australia. It had been a very long day for both my wife and me, and the mono blocks were set up quite late in the evening. After allowing an hour to warm up, we nestled in to listen. Our plans for a sensible night’s sleep were thrown out the window, as we became so absorbed into the transformative sound before us. We kept adding another CD or song to listen to - “just one more!” again and again. The BHK300s are so incredibly revealing and so musical that they are effortless to listen to. My wife asked me, “is that the same CD?” when we listened to Eric Clapton’s “unplugged” CD (well, of course!). In general, lots of detail does not necessarily mean more musical, but in the case of the BHK300s, the synergy with the Direcstream Yale was beautiful (no pre-amp yet - waiting for next year 103_gifPaul!). We heard SO much more, every nuance each instrument, and live music was especially a treat, as we were delivered into the room of the performance. ‘Christine Sullivan with friends, Live at Mietta’s’ (Australian recording,1993) was stunning. I listened to Harry Nilsson’s ‘Everybody’s talking’ track and was a little taken aback at the synthesized strings backing, which was now much more obviously “electronic” - the BHKs will tell you what’s there, all of it. We missed The Eagles’ tour of Australia, but they visited us in our lounge-room last night! We were listening to mostly redbook CDs, but also tracks from my server via eLyric/Bridge.

The BHK300s are a stunning achievement. What is amazing is how good they sound (after warm up) out of the box, and not yet run in. Music is so engaging, and so pleasurable to listen to, without fatigue. They also show how brilliant the Directstream Yale is.

Paul, Bascom, Ted, and all at PS Audio… Thank you!!77_gif

“The BHK300s are a stunning achievement. What is amazing is how good they sound (after warm up) out of the box, and not yet run in. Music is so engaging, and so pleasurable to listen to, without fatigue. They also show how brilliant the Directstream Yale is”.

Great review… I am now really looking forward to my BHK300s arriving at the end of August.

Philip said I received my BHK300 mono blocks yesterday - apparently the first shipment to Australia. It had been a very long day for both my wife and me, and the mono blocks were set up quite late in the evening. After allowing an hour to warm up, we nestled in to listen. Our plans for a sensible night's sleep were thrown out the window, as we became so absorbed into the transformative sound before us. We kept adding another CD or song to listen to - "just one more!" again and again. The BHK300s are so incredibly revealing and so musical that they are effortless to listen to. My wife asked me, "is that the same CD?" when we listened to Eric Clapton's "unplugged" CD (well, of course!). In general, lots of detail does not necessarily mean more musical, but in the case of the BHK300s, the synergy with the Direcstream Yale was beautiful (no pre-amp yet - waiting for next year Paul!). We heard SO much more, every nuance each instrument, and live music was especially a treat, as we were delivered into the room of the performance. 'Christine Sullivan with friends, Live at Mietta's' (Australian recording,1993) was stunning. I listened to Harry Nilsson's 'Everybody's talking' track and was a little taken aback at the synthesized strings backing, which was now much more obviously "electronic" - the BHKs will tell you what's there, all of it. We missed The Eagles' tour of Australia, but they visited us in our lounge-room last night! We were listening to mostly redbook CDs, but also tracks from my server via eLyric/Bridge.

The BHK300s are a stunning achievement. What is amazing is how good they sound (after warm up) out of the box, and not yet run in. Music is so engaging, and so pleasurable to listen to, without fatigue. They also show how brilliant the Directstream Yale is.

Paul, Bascom, Ted, and all at PS Audio… Thank you!!

Thanks Phil!!Appreciate your words.

Got my monos in a few days ago but haven’t posted my thoughts yet.

One question is that even in standby (front panel light off) the tubes still seem to be lit up.

They shouldn’t be. Are you sure it’s not the LED indicators back there?

@edorr - I understand why you took the Spectral pre-amp out of the chain, that was expected, but what did you replace the MIT’s with?

I was using Transparent Reference between DAC and preamp, and MIT between DAC and Amp and MIT SC. The MIT IC went away when I took out the pre, and I just bought a pair of Transparent reference SC to replace the MIT (HD90) SC. Will take possession in a week or so. Always liked transparent better than MIT.

I just received the BHK Signature 300s. I echo what others have said: great right out of the box.

Reviving this old thread. I just ordered BHK 300s today. Waited long enough until I could get a great deal. Given my IRS bill, I should have waited a a while yet, but couldn’t resist the price. Pretty excited. I’ll be selling my 3 year old BHK 250 soon.

3 Likes

Welcome to the BHK 300 club. The wait will be worthwhile. Fortunately as a Canadian I get a little longer to pay my taxes.

1 Like

Congrats! Made that same move. You will dig the improvement.

1 Like

You are going to love them! Congratulations

1 Like

Congratulations! Send pictures and let us know when they arrive.

Wow! Can’t wait to hear what you hear. Are you still using that SLP05? A friend just bought one and it’s superb. I’ll bet it will match nicely with the amps.

Ya, I can’t imagine anything prying the SLP-05 from my system. I love everything about the way it sounds and consider it a work or art as well. Thanks!!

Life is so good I’m lamenting about stupid crap like my new BHK 300s being delivered on Monday and not today as originally thought. And to make it worse, not gonna be able to listen next weekend: going to NOLA for the 1st weekend of Mardi Gras: Krewe du Vieux parade.

In all seriousness, I am really looking forward to them and just shooting the bull while I listen to music.

Made the update from the M700s to the BHK 300 1 week ago (around 50 hrs of listening so far).
The m700 was very smooth, detail and laid back I enjoyed the sound right away, on the other hand the BHK 300 is very harsh so far I also hear some distortion in vocals or guitars. Very different experience.
Is the break in change the sound that much that the harshness will go away in your experience?

My other components are: (I would believe all being PSA I would have great sinergy ie the m700s sounded great on this setup)

Tidal / Roon
DSD SR
BHK Pre
P12 (also connect the amps directly to the wall outlet trying both ways)
B&W 805 D3

Will keep listening but looking to hear some of your experiences as well in other to fully appreciate the amp.

Thank you!

I’m not sure if what you’re hearing is related to the amps not being broken in enough. My 300’s never sounded harsh. My first instinct is to point at the tubes. Even the OEM tubes that came with the amp didn’t sound bad. I would try to source a new quad somewhere. There’s many options for tube rolling.

1 Like

Thank for your suggestion I will check the forum for tube recommendations for this amp and change them after I finish the break in (it should take me another week or so)
I would like to have a good reference in how the amp sound by them and if something will change in the sound/harshness.
I was expecting a lot from this upgrade and so far I am not able to fully enjoy it.

I would think that something isn’t right. My 250 sounded like butter from the get go. I would call PSA on Monday to troubleshoot.

1 Like