BHK Mono first listen

The mono amps have not shipped yet. I am still waiting for mine as a beta tester. I was hoping we would hear word that they would be built and sent out this week.

I have the Musical Fidelity Nuvista 300 mono amps that I will use to compare to the BHK monos. I realize this is not a current amp, although, in its day it was very well received. There were only 500 numbered units ever made and they are rarely seen in the used market. As well, they are a hybrid design, which may make my comparison quite interesting.

Paul did mention yesterday in his May PS Audio newsletter that the BHK Mono’s will be at the Newport Show in their first public showing.

seadogs1 said In reply to Streets Still Works (But even Hypex admits the NCore 400's aren't as good as the 1200's and amps using the latter cost more than the BHK . . . .) You are partially right They are more expensive than the Stereo version of the BHK's but are cheaper than the mono version. Case in point The Merrill Audio Veritas monos cost $12000/ pair and the BHK monos cost $15000/ pair.

I thought there was going to be a comparison done soon on the BHK’s and other either newer like the Merrills or against the other amp mentioned in the video? Is this ever going to happen? I believe that the BHK’s are VERY good amp or amps but I have nothing to compare them to.

Thanks Everyone and continue the GREAT work!

Ah, you are right, I was thinking of BHK stereo and didn’t realize the NC1200’s were monos. I tried to do a search for others that had NC1200’s but only found two or three, all at a very high price point compared with the BHK stereo. Sadly, that’s all I can afford, as the monos are WAY out of my league.

Let us know how they sound when you get them, especially compared with the Ncores.

–SSW

"We will be shipping the monos this week, so you should have them by the end of this week or the middle of next. FedEx won't do Saturday deliveries on anything over 70 lbs, which is unfortunate. I can't wait to hear what you guys think of the monos."
Received this email from Scott today at 2:39 EDT. He's probably off to Newport now. Hope I get a FedEx email soon, like tomorrow. Maybe by next Wednesday.
Great reviews so far on stereo BHK. Keep'em coming.

Alan W said The mono amps have not shipped yet. I am still waiting for mine as a beta tester. I was hoping we would hear word that they would be built and sent out this week.

I have the Musical Fidelity Nuvista 300 mono amps that I will use to compare to the BHK monos. I realize this is not a current amp, although, in its day it was very well received. There were only 500 numbered units ever made and they are rarely seen in the used market. As well, they are a hybrid design, which may make my comparison quite interesting.

Paul did mention yesterday in his May PS Audio newsletter that the BHK Mono’s will be at the Newport Show in their first public showing.

This is correct. Engineering found a little glitch in the monos they weren’t happy with and we haven’t yet shipped any except the two thatare here at the Newport show. Probably next week.

Paul,

When I saw you had added a comment, I thought you would be confirming what Scott sent me above. Oh well, it won’t be that much longer.

Have a good time in Newport.

Just a Question, There is the BHK Stereo version and the BHK Mono’s, Are these compatible? What I mean is can you buy the Stereo amp and later buy the mono’s as an upgrade? After reading this it’s still confusing so I’ll try again. First you buy the stereo version an it be upgraded to half of a mono set? $7500 for the mono now and $7500 later for the other half of the mono.

Thanks!

The amps are not user configurable as stereo or mono as some other amp designs are. They are factory built as either stereo or mono amps. Whether PS Audio would provide users with an upgrade path from the factory would have to be determined directly by them.

Exactly and there are actually a few different boards inside the monos than the stereo and so they really can’t be retrofitted. I am sure some of our dealerswill be happy to take stereos back in trade towards monos, but changing them isn’t in the cards.

I have had the great pleasure of listening to the monoblocks here in Newport! I have to say that notwithstanding the challenges of the listening environment where they were placed, and it being the first day of the show, that I am VERY encouraged by how they sound and excited to receive the beta pair and start to do some critical listening back in Arizona :) I had a chance to listen to several rooms today with very expensive equipment many times the price and the PS equipment sounded as good as anything i heard today. Paul, special thanks for playing the Red Norvo track for me; much appreciated, and sounded great!

I also had a chance to spend some time with Paul, Scott S., and Ted. Thank you all very much for your hospitality. It was a great pleasure to meet you all in person. One of the hallmarks of PS Audio I have found is the approachability, warmness and customer-centric culture of the organization. I am sure that other visitors to the room must have felt the same as I did. :)

patentpending said I have had the great pleasure of listening to the monoblocks here in Newport! I have to say that notwithstanding the challenges of the listening environment where they were placed, and it being the first day of the show, that I am VERY encouraged by how they sound and excited to receive the beta pair and start to do some critical listening back in Arizona :) I had a chance to listen to several rooms today with very expensive equipment many times the price and the PS equipment sounded as good as anything i heard today. Paul, special thanks for playing the Red Norvo track for me; much appreciated, and sounded great!

I also had a chance to spend some time with Paul, Scott S., and Ted. Thank you all very much for your hospitality. It was a great pleasure to meet you all in person. One of the hallmarks of PS Audio I have found is the approachability, warmness and customer-centric culture of the organization. I am sure that other visitors to the room must have felt the same as I did. :)

Thanks and it was fun meeting you and I am glad you had a chance to listen. Today should be a busy one at the show and hopefully we can get more people like yourself to appreciate these very special amplifiers. My friend Peter Moncrief, the reviewer, came by and instantly heard what the BHKs do - and he was impressed - letting us know ‘not many amps can match the openness and detail levels as these.’

Paul McGowan said Exactly and there are actually a few different boards inside the monos than the stereo and so they really can't be retrofitted. I am sure some of our dealerswill be happy to take stereos back in trade towards monos, but changing them isn't in the cards.
Ooh, do I detect the possibility of another upgrade kit . . . .?

:)

Oh, heavens no. This change from one to the other is not for anyone but the trained. One small slip, misplaced this or that and you have a brick. Plus, the alignment procedure for the amp takes hours and skill.

Streets Still Works said Ooh, do I detect the possibility of another upgrade kit . . . .?
Yeah, it's called trade-in wink

24_gif

Another week gone by and no mono beta’s shipped. What’s the scoop? When will they ship?

edorr said Another week gone by and no mono beta's shipped. What's the scoop? When will they ship?
According to Scott S., engineering has been hard at work trying to address the triggering sensitivity and humming (although that was inaudible at the Newport show). We're supposed to get an update on Monday :) Personally although i'd love to have them here yesterday I'll wait as long as necessary so i don't have to pack them up and send them back lol

Trigger sensitivity issue has been resolved and it was the only thing holding up stereos. They are back in production again.

Monos are still on hold because their hum level is a few dB higher than where we wanted it. But, late Friday, chief engineer Bob Stadtherr figured it out! We are applying the fix to three units on Monday to see if there’s any consistency to the readings and if so, we’re good to start building. Which likely means monos start shipping next week.

Paul McGowan said Trigger sensitivity issue has been resolved and it was the only thing holding up stereos. They are back in production again.
Should the beta units be fixed as well? Or not all amps are affected?

Paul McGowan said Trigger sensitivity issue has been resolved and it was the only thing holding up stereos. They are back in production again.

Monos are still on hold because their hum level is a few dB higher than where we wanted it. But, late Friday, chief engineer Bob Stadtherr figured it out! We are applying the fix to three units on Monday to see if there’s any consistency to the readings and if so, we’re good to start building. Which likely means monos start shipping next week.

Good call. I have zero tolerance for humming. In fact I did a complete transformer replacement in poweramps once to eliminate humming, and am currently lifting ground on my Spectrals because of humming issues…

When the term “hum” is used, is it from a ground loop or a mechanical vibration, i.e., the transformer? I ask since the other night I noticed from my listening seat, about 8’ from the BHK 250 Stereo, a slight hum. I initially thought it was the speakers and a ground loop (I’ve always had at least a very minor hum no matter what equipment I’ve used), but when I got closer to the amp I realized it was the amp humming. Presumably it’s the transformer, but I haven’t tried to look inside. Today I’m not hearing the hum, but that doesn’t mean it’s not there, it’s just masked by the music. A little more information on the hum and the solution would be good to know!