My BHK 300s arrived today

Interestingly, one carton had the corner reinforcements while the other didn’t.
2018Feb22_two%20cartons_1500w

They sure are purdy.
2018Feb22_two%20LC%20amps_1500w
2018Feb22_two%20RC%20amps_1500w

2018Feb22_system%20fm%20right_1500h
2018Feb22_spkr-to-spkr%20system_1500w

Oh ya…they sound great already!

More pics tonite, after an Arizona Music Festival concert featuring the fabulous Russian pianist Olga Kern playing Rach.'s PC3, probably my absolutely favorite piano concerto.

3 Likes

Which one sounds better?

"ElkForum Leader10m
. . . one carton had the corner reinforcements while the other didn’t

Which one sounds better?"

The one without sounds a little rounder, while the one with corners sounds a little squarer.

2 Likes

:slight_smile:

(The trick for quoting is to highlight the text you want to quote, and then click “quote” which appears above the highlight or click “reply.” It is very slick.)

TY; I wondered.

Feel free to test it out here in this thread or in the new forum threads (such as this thread here). We have a big new sandbox to play in!

A couple more pics.
2018Feb22_two%20tubes_1500w

%20rear_1500w

Lucky dog!

Thanks for giving us a look at your system. Very nice addition of the BHK 300. I noticed you left your M700s in place? I have left mine in place as well when I brought in my BHK 250 and BHK pre amp. And now i don’t want remove the the reduntant M700s. I am amazed at how the the M700 sound fed by the BHK preamp. And it seems like the M700 are still burning in after about 200 hours of run time. The mid bass to low bass seems to be getting more pronounced. However they don’t seem to have as much depth in the image as the BHK 250. I bet the 300 sound great. But hungry for power. Is a P 20 next? I’m running on a P5 power generator and it’s easily peaks at 80% load with the 250…I need to upgrade. Hope the venue did the pianist justice.

"cugething3h

Is a P 20 next? I’m running on a P5 power generator and it’s easily peaks at 80% load with the 250…I need to upgrade. Hope the venue did the pianist justice."

No P20… I’m very happy with my Balanced Power Technology 20-Amp Ultra-3.5 balanced-power conditioner and very-high-quality cables. I recently tried a couple different combinations of less-expensive conditioners and wasn’t happy with them.

The concert was in a large church and sounded very good. This Arizona Music Festival has been happening for over 10 years and has turned into a highly desired ‘vacation’ for excellent orchestral players from all over the country, and Robert Moody is a very fine conductor.

My next upgrade is highly likely to be a Memory Player and pair of DSJr. DACs for four-channel use. But it’ll take me a few months to sell enough equipment to fund that.

[quote=“jeffreybehr, post:10, topic:5129, full:true”]
"cugething3h

My next upgrade is highly likely to be a Memory Player and pair of DSJr. Dacs for four-channel use.

Very interesting. When you get there hopefully you will post your findings. And hopefully I remember to look for them. Front and Rear channels I assume.

A balanced power conditioner can have some benefits but in my opinion please next to the real deal.

"cugething2h jeffreybehr

[quote=“jeffreybehr, post:10, topic:5129, full:true”]
"cugething3h

My next upgrade is highly likely to be a Memory Player and pair of DSJr. Dacs for four-channel use.

Very interesting. When you get there hopefully you will post your findings. And hopefully I remember to look for them. Front and Rear channels I assume."

Yes, fronts and surrounds… I recently discovered that with the Quads’ excellent soundstage-center focus, a centerchannel is not only not necessary but doesn’t sound as good as having no CC system… I don’t use the ‘.1’ channel–I define the system as not having one–and then drive my SWs with the L- and R-front channels.

etch, I do not yet have a recommendation… I do not yet have a ‘pair’ of M700s, I have one with over 500 hours on it(1) and one with 50 hours on it… Because I don’t have a ‘pair’, I haven’t bothered to compare them to the BHK300s(2)… Also, I’ll not compare them with anything else because I’m too lazy and I believe the two sets of amps I own are the best around for my application, which is rather insensitive '2905s.

(1) It was driving my CC speaker.
(2) I’m currently running the '300s and one '700 24/7 with music.

More pics.

With about 120 hours on the '300s, the transparency seems to be slightly better, but what’s definitely better is the coherence of the orchestral music, especially in the center… I never heard just how the CC ‘sounded’ with MC music, even turned to about 10dB below the levels of the left and right speakers… Tonite I enjoyed the best-sounding reproduced music I’ve ever heard…

I finally got rid of the system’s low-to-moderate-level(note) humbuzz by unplugging from the pre/pro the cablebox’s HDMI cable.

:grin::smiley::grinning:

And TYVM elk for the quoting instructions–it works!

(note) which of course is entirely too loud!

Before you got the 300’s, you mentioned the possibility of changing the coupling caps. What would you consider as replacements?

I have the replacement (or supplemental, AKA ‘bypass’) caps, Jupiter ‘COPPER FOIL PAPER & WAX’ 600VDCs. After making sure my amps are 100% reliable (and preparing our taxreturns, returning two pairs of poweramps–NOT PS Audio’s–to their manufacturers for reburbishing/repair, selling more surplus equipment, etc.), most-probably I’ll add the Jupiters in parallel with the Rel 'propylene-film-and-tin-foils to get them broken in. Later I can use BHK’s jumper-cable technique to switch back and forth to hear the differences.

I would also consider Sonic Craft’s Platinums (Teflon-alloy-film-and-tin-foil) and MultiCap’s RTXs ('styrene-film-and-tin-foil), both excellent-sounding capacitors. I wish I could afford a set of Dueland caps (series TBD), but I can’t when I need eight. :disappointed_relieved:

Meanwhile the '300s have about 160 hours on them, and I’m enjoying every minute of them and my Quad 2905s.
:grinning::grin::grinning::grin::grin:

1 Like

Well, I will be following your listening adventure when you finally do give the Jupiters a try! Would also enjoy a couple of photos of your installation as you go about it, especially your intended jumper cable technique!

I pick up my BHK 300’s on Tuesday!