BHK Powerchords

Has anyone played with multiple powerchords on their BHK amps and Preamps? What aftermarket chords do you like and what did it do for you?

I’ve had excellent results on the BHK with this set of power chords:

Good one!

You’ll likely get a different answer from every member here. The PS Audio PerfectWave AC-12 cables seem to be well liked (I like mine!), but buy from reputable dealers as there are many counterfeits. You might try http://www.usedcable.com as they have good prices and a home trial program.

I use a high-current cord from Cullen Cable between my P5 and the BHK250. Definitely an improvement over the stock cord that came with the BHK and reasonably priced. I have not tried more expensive cords since the system is sounding so good these days.4_gif

I don’t have the BHK nor do I plan on getting one (I love my amplifier, it’s one of the cornerstones of my system and I don’t lust for another amp). If I did I’d certainly try the PS Audio PerfectWave AC-12 with it. I tried a lot of power cords in the early years of this decade and found this one to be the best I’ve ever heard. I carefully bought enough for my entire system and I’m very happy with their performance.

Kimber’s PK10 Summit is excellent (frmrly known as the PK10 Palladian). Brings blacker blacks, wider/deeper soundstage, et al. The AC-12s are also great. As prev noted, the cable company allows you to demo before buying. Can’t go wrong…

Peanut Butter said You'll likely get a different answer from every member here. The PS Audio PerfectWave AC-12 cables seem to be well liked (I like mine!), but buy from reputable dealers as there are many counterfeits. You might try http://www.usedcable.com as they have good prices and a home trial program.
^This. The legitimate AC-12 is an excellent cord, though its stiffness can be a challenge in a space-constrained environment. I like my AC-12s a lot, though I am also trying out some more flexible cords from Empirical Design and TG Audio. I may also try the Bybee. In the very reasonable price range, I also recommend the Graphene cables by Cerious Technology.

I’ve been trying to learn more about good cords for these amps and the published reviews are a little unhelpful. TAS suggested that cords matter but did not really offer specifics. The recent PF review suggested that several he had on hand were not impressive (Luminix, Kubala Sosna) but he did find the PSAudio AC-12 to be synergistic. That makes sense I suppose and fits with some comments here. But to be honest, of all the PSA components I’ve used over the years (a lot), their power cords are the ones I never really kept around. So maybe the latest models are just better? The word here seems to be to watch out for counterfeit versions…how common are these? I’ve read the few posts on the forum that speak about the length of the barrel on one end being a giveaway but are there any signs on the sleeve or packaging that would raise suspicions when buying used?

I use Shunyata Venom 3 cords for all my gear. The 15 amp version for my BHK Pre, the HC (high current) version for my Pass X250.5 power amp. Over the years I’ve experimented with a ton of pricey power cords. I’m very leery of dropping long green on expensive cords from experience. I’ve found exotic cords are 1) impractical because they’re ridiculously thick, heavy and stiff and 2) can actually be deleterious to sonics. That latter observation is usually a darkening of the harmonic balance of my system that fools me initially into thinking my system is quieter, but it also sucks the life out of the midrange in particular. I’ve heard this many times in the past. Shunyata Venom cords are very affordable, flexible and do the job I need with no downside. In short: I keep it simple with power cords and save my cash for other upgrades that make more difference to my ears.

Wireworld Silver Electra 7 @2 meters or more! A+ for the money.

darrenv1070 said

Wireworld Silver Electra 7 @2 meters or more! A+ for the money.

Darren – are you using these on the BHK amps?

[posted previously in thread above]

patrick47 said

Darren – are you using these on the BHK amps?

PSA BHK preamp, DSD DAC, and currently using a Emotiva XPR-2 with VooDoo cable 20 amp/15 amp converter for cable. I picked up the Emo for a grand used with 3 years warranty left. It is a great amp for a grand!! I had a chance to demo a pair of Parasound JC-1 amps. I feel the XPR-2 is equial with the JC-1 pair. The PSA BHK 250 is a bit smoother, less edge. But not by a ton. The EMO is a great amp for the money. IMO.

I may sell my BHK 250 to fund a mono pair.

I have never tried the Kimber power cords, but I have tried the Kimber inner-connects. I find them in my system anyway to have too wide a soundstage. I get zero center image even with speakers towed way in…

My current power cables are the Wireworld, PSA AC-3, PSA AC-5. I have a bunch of each. Selling off my Cardas if anyone is interested.

darrenv1070 said

My current power cables are the Wireworld, PSA AC-3, PSA AC-5. I have a bunch of each. Selling off my Cardas if anyone is interested.

How do the PSA AC’s compare to the Wireworld?

cxp said

How do the PSA AC’s compare to the Wireworld?

In my system I like the WW for all equipment before the amp. I use the PSA AC’s for the power amps and P5 units since the PSA uses lower gauge wire.

I get better focus, cleaner sound, and wider soundstage with the WW for the preamp, and DAC.

darrenv1070 said

I get better focus, cleaner sound, and wider soundstage with the WW for the preamp, and DAC.

I’m curious if fuses and the MC .05 narrow the difference in power cables. I’m not sure I’ve seen power cable comparisons with an mc.05 on the wall.

The mc.05 on the wall and black fuse in the SGCD have made huge improvements in the sound.