BHK Pre says "Factory Reset" - First Start-up. Non responsive

My BHK Pre is breaking in nicely. The sound stage is really apparent with this preamp! The headphone amplifier has got some power too, I have to turn down the volume when I plug in headphones. Great job PS Audio and Bascom!

1 Like

@JWLaudio Thanks for the post and Elk’s solution.

I experienced the same this past month (a couple of times). While the issue didn’t crop up at the first startup, Elk’s solution worked.

2 Likes

I just searched the BHK pre manual for “counter.“ Nothing turned up. How does one access this feature?

Press and hold the button to go into setup, click through until you see tube hours.

Press and hold the button, ‘clear tube hours’ will appear, keep holding for a bit longer and the hours will be zeroed out.

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

An update on my situation. Same issue has been cropping up quite regularly. Elk’s solution had been working previously but since today the BHK pre is unresponsive.

Just took out the fuse from the BHK pre for the first time. Fuse is ceramic with gold colored caps and ‘T2AH 250V’ inscribed on the cap. Is this normal to have a 250V fuse in a 120V model?

I ordered some from Amazon to verify if the fuse is blown. Otherwise would have to send it in.

The fuse is rated for use UP TO 250volts as are most of the fuses used today.

4 Likes

BHK pre is back up and running with $3 fuse from Amazon.

I like the sound with the BHK pre in the chain.

1 Like

The key is to understand why the fuse blew in the first place. Time to replace the tubes?

1 Like

Paul, I am an older male with familiar issues. Can you help?

Fuses sometimes fail from use and will fail if you have the back panel switch on when connecting a power cord. If you replaced the fuse and it did not immediately fail you most likely have nothing to worry about. Aging tubes in the BHK preamp may become noisey but will not likely blow a fuse.

1 Like

Not my experience with fuses, but I’ve not owned a PS Audio preamp of any sort.

I run a Decware Line Conditioner (ZLC) and I blew a fuse once when I unplugged it and immediately plugged it into another outlet trying to get rid of this “buzz.” I was recommended to buy a HumDinger DC Line Blocker to get rid of it, and it did. One day, I should probably buy a Power Regenerator, but then again, I need some room treatment too… damn this hobby is expensive.

Random question, so I know I’m not going crazy. When you put the BHK Pre in standby, is the front logo button supposed to stay slightly illuminated? I thought it did before, but then I went away for a week (where I unplugged everything from the wall outlet) and noticed the logo button just turns off completely when I put it in standby. I can see the red light under the grills on top still.

The light is off in standby.

I guess I am getting crazier as I get older. haha

I did multiple attempts to do a factory reset on it due to the fact that it was unresponsive. It was not responding to the method outlined by Elk. That’s when the fuse blew.

It is now working fine and not freezing up as it was doing earlier (fingers crossed).

2 Likes

Sometimes our memory plays tricks on us.