BHK Preamp HT to normal input switching

Dear paul,

I am using the BHK preamp and BHK 250 amp and they are superb when fired by the PS Audio DSD. Also the feature to have an input configured for my home theater system (yamaha CX A5100) is fantastic. I have though one request. As the HT passthrough is ( in my case) configured on volume level 70, switching from that input back to a normal input (the DAC for example) leaves the volume at that level and nearly did explode my speaker. So my suggesten would be that if one changes the input from a HT configured input with level set higher then 40 to reduce the level after switchng back to the default 25. The neighbours and myself would be extremely greatfull (although I do not know if the controller chip software is field upgradeble)

I have this home cinema feature on my preamp (returns to channel 2 with volume -88dB, also for power on), so I would suggest something like this for the BHK?

The trouble would be that the BHK doesn’t know which input that is theatre through (TT) if my understanding is correct (all inputs could in theory be TT) so I guess all input channels must be dealth with in the same manner?

No, I think the controller has to know. Otherwise it woulden’t be able to set the volume to the preset level when it switches from a normal input to the as HT defined input

percychris said Dear paul,

I am using the BHK preamp and BHK 250 amp and they are superb when fired by the PS Audio DSD. Also the feature to have an input configured for my home theater system (yamaha CX A5100) is fantastic. I have though one request. As the HT passthrough is ( in my case) configured on volume level 70, switching from that input back to a normal input (the DAC for example) leaves the volume at that level and nearly did explode my speaker. So my suggesten would be that if one changes the input from a HT configured input with level set higher then 40 to reduce the level after switchng back to the default 25. The neighbours and myself would be extremely greatfull (although I do not know if the controller chip software is field upgradeble)

Let me ask. Great suggestion.

Can the preamp firmware be upgraded by users?

Unfortunately not.

I had not read this thread and today setting up my new BHK, which this early sounds great, just about took out my Wilson’s, yes there needs to be a fix if possible.

What happened?

Elk said What happened?
Same as percychris's original post.

Hi Paul,

I am considering buying this Preamp to use with the DS Dac. Just like other here, my HT is integrated with the 2-channel and hence the HT bypass feature will be used heavily.

Can this problem be fixed ?

– Dev

I believe we have made a change to the HT in later versions of the preamp but will have to check with Dennis.

Yes that issue has been fixed, I can’t Answer as to what version of code it is fixed in until monday.

Dennis

Dennis Kerrisk said Yes that issue has been fixed, I can't Answer as to what version of code it is fixed in until monday.

Dennis

I remember reading the firmware for the preamp isn’t end user upgradeable. Has that changed?

Did anyone ever find out what version of the code fixed the issue? Also, what the effective build date is for the code change?

I am looking to purchase the BHK Preamp from my dealer. He has the unit in stock, but I wanted to ensure that I get one with the HT Bypass Code fix as I will be using HT Bypass every day.

Some kind soul here will probably chime in with the info, but your post begs the question:

Your dealer can’t or won’t find out for you, and thereby make sure that he sells you a unit that meets your specific need? If so, I’m not sure he’s worthy of your business.

I was thinking about picking it up today and thought I might be able to get the information here since I would think PS Audio is closed for the weekend.

Ah, I see.

asiano said I was thinking about picking it up today and thought I might be able to get the information here since I would think PS Audio is closed for the weekend.
Did you get that firmware answer? I'd also be interested in confirming that.

I am hearing a loud pop after switching back from the HT bypass configured input to a normal input. The bigger problem is if music is already playing on the normal input before you switch back, then the speaker just explodes for a brief moment and then goes back to the volume that was set on that input. This is due to the HT bypass volume set at 77. I suspect the input is switched first before the volume is adjusted when it should be the other way around.

The other thing I am noticing is if something is already playing on an input and I switch to HT bypass with nothing playing on that one, I can hear faint music leaking through the speaker. Is this expected ?

I received the preamp directly drop shipped from PS Audio last week and it has the firmware revision 1.0.5.1(JakeBlues)

1 Like

Yes I thought this was fixed, see post 12, but I got mine back this week from service for the display but it’s unchanged. Mine is a very loud transient and could well be damaging I would guess to some spkrs. Jeremy has asked me to try with all inputs disconnected and let him know, I plan to do this weekend. My f/w was updated too.