BHK Signature Preamplifier RCA ouput

Paul can answer this in his sleep :wink:
I am looking for the RCA output of the BHK Signature Preamplifier
The specs say 4V but all outputs has XLR and RCA. Normally XLR would be 4V and RCA 2V.

The XLR’s are connected to the BHK 250 and have just bought a miniDSP 2x4HD that should connect to the RCA outputs.
The miniDSP has a switch for 2 and 4V

Would you mind repeating your question?

I believe some key word(s) were left out. Are you looking for the specifications of the unbalanced/RCA outputs?

Have you downloaded and perused the manual form here?:

BHK Signature Preamplifier Manual

Thanks yes I am looking for specifications for the unbalanced RCA output

Martin Herløv Andersen
Kildehuset 4, 3tv
2670 Greve
Denmark

I see. Maybe @jamesh or @CustomerServiceWizard will chime in.

The specifications page on the PSA website definitely indicates the outputs, whether balanced or not, are 4.0 Vrms.

However, the BHK Signature Preamplifier manual clearly states:

Please be advised that the XLR output has twice the output voltage as the RCA input. Typically, this results in 6dB louder sound through units connected via the XLR input.

Must be a typo on the specifications page…?

1 Like

Also my thought

Martin Herløv Andersen
Kildehuset 4, 3tv
2670 Greve
Denmark

No, it’s not a typo. Both outputs have 4V as stated but the XLR output has two phases: each has 4 volts on it, one out of phase with the other. Thus when you combine the two 4V outputs in a differential input (XLR input) you get twice the voltage.

2 Likes

Not sure I get it.
So the RCA has 4V out.

Are most amps not suppose to get 2V for full output?
I will set my miniDSP to 4V

Thanks

“Thus when you combine the two 4V outputs in a differential input (XLR input) you get twice the voltage.”

So then the XLR output is 8 volts?

It isn’t measured that way. It is 4v out from both outputs (two signals, 1 and 2). Each signal is 4 volts output. Combine the two in a preamp and yes, you get 8 volts. But it would be inaccurate to list it that way. Sorry it’s confusing.

3 Likes