BHK250 vs BHK300

I have decided to buy the BHK250 over the M1200. But before I make this purchase I would like to know from forum members if their is much of a sound difference between the 250 and 300. I read the excellent 300’s AHC review in Absolute Sound. He has always been one of my favorite reviewers because he likes to review with classical music and it appears we hear about the same. My system is B&W 801 Matrix series 3, Audible Illusion L2 pre-amp and BAT CD player. Thank you.

I think @straightwire can help with question. I have a feeling a lot of 300’s will be hitting the used market soon so be patient.

1 Like

With the 600’s coming out I was hoping this would happen. But the trade-in credit can be up to $16,498 for the 600’s. Fantastic trade-in. Do you think many 300’s will become available on the open market with that credit amount?

I think they will be quite a few showing up soon on TMR and other classifieds. Tho the 300’s will be double the cost of the 250’s. I have the 300’s now I’ve never compared them to a 250 tho.

1 Like

I own a pair of BHK 300’s and they are pretty good but if the power from the stereo amp is good enough, I would just get the 250 over the 300. Yes there might be a difference but I would guess the sonic difference is slight and not worth paying what I would assume is double the price for the 300 over the 250 (not sure what current prices are).

Things are always relative in audio, and yes, I liked the improvements in the 300’s verses the 250. Sonically, they are cut from the same cloth and the most notable benefits I remember were those associated with a doubling of power…greater ease, control, dynamics, etc. Are they twice as good at twice the price? I can’t answer that. There will be some good pricing on 300’s in the near future as Paul has mentioned but they will still be roughly twice that of a used 250. That difference could also be invested upstream to great effect. A good quandary.

2 Likes

If you don’t have the room or just don’t want that much gear, there’s plenty of other stereo amps that outperform the 300’s.

3 Likes

I agree with you. I think the extra money you would pay for the 300’s over the 250’s would be more sonically beneficially used on room treatments or upgrading your speakers.

What I’ve found through experience is room treatments have made a far, far, far more sonic beneficial improvement in my system over upgrading electronics. Then when I added digital room correction, it was icing on the cake.

1 Like

Unfortunately there’s gear that outperforms everything we own! Just have to find happiness with what we have and stay far away from that other gear! Not possible for me because I know @aangen and @minnesotafats.

3 Likes

So, where do those trade-ins go to? It won’t be their final destination. They should be had there, perhaps a bit more expensive than in open market, much cheaper than the new product, IMO.
Paul has mentioned the go-to company in the past, but perhaps that’s changed in the mean time.

They go to The Music Room.

There is quite a difference in SQ between the 250 and 300s. If you’re thinking of going this way do consider the 300s. You won’t regret it. And no time better than right now.

2 Likes

Upgradeitis, the destroyer of contentment.

1 Like

My PS Audio experience started with a BHK 250. It was such a huge improvement over my Aragon 4004 MK 2 that I had to try the BHK 300s. I think I would allocate dollars to upgrade the amps to 300 and then wait for great used source gear to come available. My guess is within 2 months you will have the opportunity to get a great deal on a pair of 300s used.

3 Likes

The BHK 300’s don’t disappoint but they sound even better connected to a P 20 Power Plant IMO!

1 Like

I meant if they wanted to stay with a stereo amp. I personally am running out of room between 2-chan and HT in my console. With some serious reorganizing I can fit two amps, but not the height of 300’s. That reconfiguration will cascade to signal and power cabling. With monos there’s also the additional cost of another power cord and consumption of an outlet on the P20.

It’s easy to promote the idea of mono’s but for some it’s just not practical.

We all have our own snowflakes.

If I was PSA I would be refreshing the 250 and designing a killer integrated.

2 Likes

I have considered a rack in the basement under the speakers to house amps and Regen. It’s possible and not completely ruled out. It’s a matter of motivation.

I kept the mono’s because I chose the shorter speaker cables and went longer power and XLR cables a while back with the M700’s. When it’s all said and done it may of been cheaper to go the opposite route. Back when I thought over $2k for speaker cables is crazy (it still is) I have had my eyes opened a lot since that purchase but I don’t regret it. I think there’s a lot to say for separates. Preamp, DAC, sources, and dedicated amps for each speaker is cool! More cables and more tubes not so much. I’ve thought about the Gryphon Diablo 300 but now I need Rel no. 25’s at least 2 for now! 4 more later!

1 Like