Bi-wire vs single wire

They only make jumper wires with spades. No plates.

Who, WW?

Yes WW. If they have jumper plates it is not on there website.

OK, here is what we can do with sonic weldable banana to ICONOCLAST stock. These are just over 9" long. They can BEND in ONE plane ONLY, and lock down with the banana into the WBT 5-way posts!

This has to clear the home office, of course, but where it works you can have a pretty beefy ICONOCLAST series jumper cable that stays put and allows the SPADE connection on the main speaker.

Best,
Galen Gareis

JUMPER-1

@rower30, Okay. Can you do one set RCA for HF to MF and one set spades for MF to LF.?

Or alternatively a 3 plug RCA set up like below?

My last alternative is RCA jumper then the plate MF to LF posts.

I’d be happy to try a set and report back - I’d expect they’ll compliment my TPC cables nicely.

Ditto. Guess I’d still prefer just the wire braid - could be a single length that I’d cut into four, strip, clean and use. I’ll be interested to see what the price is, since parts and labor of welding 8 ends on them isn’t cheap.

Those are all banana…and single run design to a “T” splitter. These would be harder to do…not impossible but to BANANA not RCA (that uses a hot + ground). Are we sure you meant RCA?

The ICONOCLAST would use 24 wires split into 12 at the opposte end into locking BANANA. The min length would need to be determined. These are really short runs and the upper runs from the bass unit to the mid then tweeter run far lower current. 9600 CMA split to two at 4800 CMA.

Best,
Galen Gareis

badbeef,

10 AWG is too big to fit in many 5-way posts…at least any I’ve used if the solder weld isn’t perfect…but I have done it, barely. also, the insertion hole isn’t oriented properly all too often making the "flat"braid bend at th wrong axis. The banana removes that problem.

Remember, the ICONOCLAST use a BONDED wire technology that might put some people off, too.

Call Bob Howard and we can see about getting a set for trial purposes.

Best,
Galen Gareis

Yes Galen. I met Banana. I can provide Dimensions between the lugs. The speakers are designed to reside pretty close to the back wall since the crossovers were voiced that way to use bass reinforcement.

With the straps the Iconoclast sound best direct in From amp to HF array. A better jumper might improve things.

Not close to $1k pair.

At the end of the day, your take is that complete bi-wiring is still better than using jumpers, correct?

1 Like

I think the weakest link in cables are the terminated connections. When you bi-wire you’re adding more connectors to the signal path. If you’re going to A B bi-wiring to jumpers, I think there is a sonic advantage to using jumpers that are not terminated.

Galen, but electrically would a double run from the amp still be “more ideal”?

Ah, I see @jmeniche asked the same.

Here’s Kef’s thoughts on bi-wiring. Pretty much the same as Vandersteen’s.

1 Like

Agreed, Gary. Bare and short as possible. Full-on terminated cables as jumpers, particularly when implemented as bananas, which are often suggested to be inferior to spades, doesn’t actually make sense to me. Eight added connections, and added length between the wires and the lugs.

I simply would like to be able to use the same wire as jumpers. This may be an unrealistic wish, however.

Yes, true bi-wire is better electrically. Many advantages for IM distortion reduction and isolating back EMF from the woofer section to the mid/tweeter section.

As far as jumpers go, the heavy copper plates some manufacturer’s supply between binding post have to be pretty darn good so don’t “jump” to conclusions. FOCAL I believe uses the nice copper plate jumpers, for instance.

Some cross-over designs (MAGICO?) seem to better with one set of cables per the manufacturer. So there are special cases that the cross-over is managing things somehow.

Best,
Galen Gareis

1 Like

What are your thoughts on this configuration, electrically? Would this make any difference regarding IM or does the cable separation need to occur ‘closer’ to the amp?

I just tried this configuration. Don’t know if I heard any difference, but at least I met my minimal daily requirements for trying new tweaks.

2 Likes