I have been thinking about this for a bit now since I no longer have the Parasound Halo P5 in my system with its active crossovers (which I only used the crossover for movies). And thinking about it a bit more just now, I think I might have just answered my own question…
My system is strictly 2-ch, with 98.9% of the time for music only. The other 1.1% is when the family gets together to watch the occasional movie on the weekends.
I stand in the same corner as Paul, in allowing the mains to play full range, then adding in stereo subs to fill-in the natural roll-off of the mains. In this case, it’s a pair of Sonus faber Venere 1.5’s and a pair of JL Audio e110 subwoofers.
I’m running the balanced outputs from the GCD to the two bridged NuPrime STA 9 amps, the single ended outputs to the JL subs, which are then Y’ed into both L/R inputs on the subs. This is where I think I answered my own question…
My amps have both SE and balanced inputs, and I can switch between them on the rear panel. The subs low level outputs actually get crossed over at whatever crossover point I have them set at. So why can’t I run the system as is right now for music, then for movies, run interconnects from the sub outputs to the SE input on the amps, flip the input switch from balanced to SE and get the crossed over signal from the subs to the amps, thus protecting the mains from that nasty deep movie bass?
I believe this would work just fine, but thought I would ask first. I think this would be a win/win situation as I do NOT want to run a SE signal to the mains all the time, nor do I want them going through the subs’ crossovers all the time, probably as an inferior signal vs balanced straight out of the GCD. With music, I care about the purity and quality of the sound. With movies, I only really care about protecting my mains.
Does this all make sense to you guys? LOL