Bridge II to Mac Mini? (via Ethernet)

I’m using my Mac Mini as my music server with an HDD to store the music running Roon as the front end. I have been using Roon via a USB set-up and it sounds pretty good. I have been told that running via Ethernet should be better. I just can’t seem to be able to connect my Mac to the Bridge II.

I don’t to go via the network because I don’t like the cheap cables running through the wall – I bough a quality Ethernet cable to use.

Thanks for the help.

Andrew

A Mac can be connected directly to the Bridge but it’s not that simple and requires a crossover cable (you could use your ethernet cable and a crossover adaptor). Others have done it and know the details better than I do. An easier alternative is to plug the Mac and B2 into a switch and connect the switch to the home network so the B2 can get firmware updates, among other things.

Does iTunes work with the ethernet connection from the mac mini to the DS? Can someone confirm this?

No. The Bridge (I or II) requires UPnP and iTunes does not support that.

stevem2 said

A Mac can be connected directly to the Bridge but it’s not that simple and requires a crossover cable (you could use your ethernet cable and a crossover adaptor). Others have done it and know the details better than I do. An easier alternative is to plug the Mac and B2 into a switch and connect the switch to the home network so the B2 can get firmware updates, among other things.

It’s funny. I just posted a request for help on Computer Audiophile regarding just that same problem. I am trying to use a bridged ethernet connection from my Mac Mini to DS DAC with a direct connection and it’s not working. I can get the DS DAC to get an IP address and see the network, but Roon is blind to the DSD. I’ve used DHCP and static IPs. Nothing works.

amgradmd said

It’s funny. I just posted a request for help on Computer Audiophile regarding just that same problem. I am trying to use a bridged ethernet connection from my Mac Mini to DS DAC with a direct connection and it’s not working. I can get the DS DAC to get an IP address and see the network, but Roon is blind to the DSD. I’ve used DHCP and static IPs. Nothing works.

I’ve tried it several times in the past never could get it to work.

For reference, I used a tailor-made crossover Ethernet cable to connect a Mac Pro to DS Bridge II few months ago and it works great.

One thing bothered me is Mac Pro could not go on-line via WiFi once DS is turned on because Ethernet has the priority. Never mind.

The ethernet port on a Mac mini is already for some years auto mdi/mdix and that means you don’t need a cross cable to make a direct connection to the Bridge. Look at the specs of your Mac mini and search for auto mdi/mdix. You do need on both the Mac mini and the Bridge a static ip-adres within the same range (e.g. 192.168.1.x). You also need to configure wireless on your Mac mini (or use the Thunderbolt connection) to connect to your home network.

1 Like

I had forgotten later Mini’s adjust automatically.

stevem2 said

I had forgotten later Mini’s adjust automatically.

Really? Mine is Mac Pro late 2013. I got some feedback on the forum that a crossover cable is needed, will try it out sometime

Is there such a thing as an audiophile crossover cable?

I’m using some very high end USB cables along with the LANRover – the sound is quite good but, I have read that the connection via Ethernet should sound better. My current connection with 3 components is quite expensive – I’m guessing that buying an off the shelf crossover cable won’t have the same sound.

Paul stated on a different posting that the sound was better via Ethernet but, I don’t know what he was using for cabling…

I wish the connection via the bridge was easier…

I had similar experience with you before. I purchased In-akustik 6-star USB cable and quite happy with it until I saw the release of LANRover. I figured if I purchased LANRover with another USB cable and a good linear power supply, total cost will be over Bridge II, then I made up my mind and got a used Bridge II, have a friend to tailor-made a crossover Ethernet cable (Oyaide cable and connector) at the cost around US$ 100, I would say I am happy with the sound quality and album info displayed on DS, all you need is spend some times to learn network setting.

Good luck.

[quote deleted]

WHich OS are you using? Mac or PC? How do you have your network settings? This would be useful information as not all of us are networking gurus!

aj4value said

I have read that the connection via Ethernet should sound better.

It’s not that simple. My experience is that if you just plug a computer into the DS via a generic USB cable and compare that to the Bridge with a generic Ethernet cable, the Bridge wins. But you can get a lot better sound from USB with various tweaks. You’ve already invested in a Lanrover and some good USB cables. The sound is probably very close to what you’d get with the Bridge. So I wouldn’t worry too much about this. (Of course, obsessing over small sonic differences is a constitutional right guaranteed to audiophiles, so if you enjoy this sort of thing by all means experiment!)

I gave up on the attempt to attach via Ethernet.

I used my new Nordost - Blue Heaven Ethernet Cable in between the 2 units of my LANRover. Coming into the LANRover I have a Synergistic Research Active SE cable and coming out of the LANRover I have a Synergistic Research Galileo UEF USB cable. The sound is fantastic.

I haven’t given up on a direct connection, but it’s not looking good. My LANRover USB connection sounds pretty great powered by UpTone LPS-1. It sounds at least as good as the Bridge II connection, given equivalent media (note: cannot play DSD 128 vinyl rips native on Bridge which bums me out!). Still, I’m in the process of isolating my DS Sr with optical fiber and probably will power that also with the LPS-1 with output splitter. Plus, I’m upgrading to Cat7 ethernet cable, either AQ Cinnamon and/or Tera Grand. So maybe with these tweaks, the Bridge will better the LANRover USB chain. I’ll let you guys know how this shakes out.

In case you’re not aware Alex/Uptone did very extensive comparisons several yrs ago and decided he preferred the Blue Jeans/Belkin 6a. He still recommends this but apparently his writeup has been removed from CA forum, not sure why.

Good to know! As is happens I have several BJ Cat6a cables for comparison. I will do my own comparison between the Blue Jeans, Tera Grand, and AQ Cinnamon. And I loves myself a good comparison!

One thing that I have noticed is that I got some very infrequent distortion which sounds like what I would imagine RFI to be like while playing Roon to my Bridge II. I have suspected that it could be due to the non-shielded 6a cabling in the mess of wires behind my components. I really should tidy up back there, to be honest, but it scares me a little. sad_gifHence the desire to look at isolation and Cat7 cabling solutions.

Yes I’d be interested in your comparisons.

Guys, please use "Add Reply’ on the top right and bottom right of very page when responding. Clicking quote unnecessarily copies the previous post and make a mess of the thread.

I fully appreciate the list of buttons at the top of each post should include a Reply button. It is one of a number of dumb things about this forum software. :slight_smile: