Can i use power generator with no ground at power outlet

Dear PS audio,
I have no ground at the power outlet 240v at my apartment living room. There are only grounding in kitchen and bathroom. I would like to buy a power plant generator, can i use it without grounding? The reason i think i need the power generator. I have big headache after listening to my hifi after 3/4 hours. All my dac and pre/power amp have no grounding. Once i bring my headphone amp to test at my friend place, i have no headache after hours of listening. Then when i bring it home. Big headache.

So can i use power generator without grounding? Thank you.

The owners manual is a useful reference.

The answer is no. Every power point in a 240V domestic residence should have an earth. 240V is deadly.

1 Like

I just rent the place, i do not design it’s electrical supply. I think the apartment block from end of 70’s or early 80’s, they have different safety rules at that era. i did not hear of anyone killed by electric shock in that apartment block. only jealous ex boyfriend stab woman. No earth seem to be safe for most consumer equipment.

I’m not familiar with the European standard 240V residential branch circuits: assume European. However, the National Electrical Code (NEC) in the US allows for an exception on un-grounded receptacles. Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCI) can be used on un-grounded receptacles. The receptacle must be marked with the words “GFCI Protected” and “No Equipment Ground.”

In my opinion, this exception is a fine compromise and much safer than nothing. The only alternative being to replace all the un-grounded wiring in your home with new.

Please consult with a skilled electrician knowledgeable about the governing building codes in your area. I would also call PS Audio to consult directly with them about their power plants. Some equipment can cause nuisance GFCI tripping along with other issues.

GFCI yes, there are such thing. but not tested yet. I am not paying for electrician, because it is an rental place. I just want to fix my hifi issue - giving me headache. but it has excellent, dynamic, detail, air and tremendous bass. Only problem, headache when listening to my hifi.

The manual says no. So the answer is no.

The owner of the building has an obligation to ensure the electrics are code compliant. It’s not something a tenant has to pay for.

1 Like

I am quite sure it is code compliant, in this country for apartment of this age.
No ground.

i to run a long line from my kitchen. i really prefer to use the power outlet next to the amp.

It is legal an just as deadly with earth. But you need to be very unlucky, I have survived several incidents with 240V :wink:
In Norway the rule is that you can´t mix outlets with and without earth in the same room. New houses have earth in all outlets.

My house in Norway from 1975 has only grounded sockets in kitchen and bathroom. So in the living room where my hifi is located there is only 230V sockets without ground. I havent had any electrical shock or damage so far, but of course grounded sockets is preferred :slight_smile: I would like to test a P12 power plant home and question is if I should update my electrical system, at least to get grounded sockets to supply my hifi gear?

I would be inclined to ground power plant, even though it works fine without it. Unlike typical audio appliances where mains isolate with the power supply, it is not the case with the power plants - these have mains potential in lower voltage sections too. There is more potential exposure to mains voltage there. Grounding these would be good imho.

Suppose I have to open my wall then to the kitchen area to find some earth cabels :thinking:

Though it’ll be a pain in the butt, I would highly recommend doing so.

I just watched a video on youtube where Bob Stadtherer explains that Power plant will work fine with or without ground. In Norway we have a special grid with 240 V and IT network ( isolated terra). That means there is no connection between ground and the 2 conductive wires. So then I suppose there will be no problem to plug the P12 into my wall with my ungrounded sockets?
Or am I missing something here?

I’m a bit of a safety freak when it comes to electricity. The P12 would work without ground and wouldn’t impact performance at all, but I like to play it safe. I’d rather be safe than sorry.

1 Like

I route a 2m cable from my kitchen to my living room to get grounding.

my rental apartment only have ground ac outlet in kitchen and bathroom. Safety first yes, but what can i do? change the power lines of apartment not belonging to me?

Well, the ground line solved my ringing ear when playing hifi. it seem that grounding help reduce unwanted distortion/noise from power line to my hifi equipment.

Later, i bring the no ground ac back to living room to my power amp, the sound got darker.
But better imaging , slightly better dynamics and resolution , so i decide to keep it that way. I might get electric shock if there is a malfunction inside power amp. But the probability is low and it sound better. so i keep it that way.

Until i saw a bargain in second hand market near me. for P5, i quickly drive to buy it and set it up to see any difference it will bring to sound.

yes, everything is better, the resolution, the bass, the dynamic and imaging all better.
Input AC 227.7V-228.2 V with slight clip on top, THD IN 2%. AC output 236.3V THD 0.1%

I would advise everyone living in apartment to get power plant/generator for you streamer/CDP, DAC and pre amp. Power amp seem to be work better with noise as compare to streamer,dac,preamp. To my surprise my streamer aurender s10 is the most affected by ac input noise. It was last in my list of 3, but testing shows, it is most affected by noise in ac input.

Strange. I’ve never saw a GFCI that didn’t have ground, not even in the ten years I worked at Lowe’s. But it makes sense in kitchens and baths where you are plugging in hair dryers, coffee makers, etc. that have two prong plugs. Not many Power Plants or BHKs in either of those areas.

You’re right that the GFCI outlets have a ground terminal, but they can be used as a “poor man’s” ground if no ground wire is available. What I mean by that is it will trip instead of shocking. That said, I wouldn’t plug my hi-if rig into one without an earth ground.

Old knob and tube wire would be a good example. There’s still some out there.

… and mine is still running strong in our 126 year old home. The Kitchen and hifi system have been rewired with 3 wire 120VAC. Ceiling fixtures still have dual power, K&T, and gas lines to the fixtures.

Knob and tube alongside gas lines just doesn’t sound good.

1 Like