Can the automatic links be disabled?

Can the automatic links be disabled? Like the following ones: DS, PWD, support, kit, DirectStream, Bridge, PowerBase, how to, downloads, etc? They distract and slow down already extremely slow forum.

Technical query: Do they do anything other than load a short address? If this is it, the additional time to load is tiny fraction of a second.

I found the bit of boldface vaguely distracting until I understood why it occurred.

Alekz said Can the automatic links be disabled? Like the following ones: DS, PWD, support, kit, DirectStrteam, etc? They distract and slow down already extremely slow forum.
I'm no fan of context insensitive highlighting of words and phrases. But I can't believe it adds any time compared to interactions with the database that need to be done for individual readers. I suspect that something else is going on.

It’s not about the time, but more about distraction and common sense. Though it does add to the rendering time.

Alekz said It's not about the time, but more about distraction and common sense. Though it does add to the rendering time.
I'm with you there - at least they don't cause little annoying popups that obscure what I'm trying to read like they do on some other sites.
Alekz said It's not about the time, but more about distraction and common sense.
I'm not so easily . . .

Let’s ride bikes!

Elk said I found the bit of boldface vaguely distracting until I understood why it occurred.
+1

I can turn off or reduce the number of auto links. I imagine for those readers that spend time here they provide nothing of value, while for the short time reader they provide a helpful link to products and services on the webpage. They take little to no time to load.

Paul McGowan said I can turn off or reduce the number of auto links. I imagine for those readers that spend time here they provide nothing of value, while for the short time reader they provide a helpful link to products and services on the webpage. They take little to no time to load.
Again, these links provide more constant distraction, than any information. Do you know how to remove the Bridge link (and the how to link as well) from "Bridge over troubled water" album? No, seriously, there's so many names, terms, products, abbreviations in the forum posts, so these "helpful links" are completely useless and annoying.

As for the load time, I agree. The performance hit is not significant. But multiply these “features”/“tweaks” by 10, 20, 30 and the difference in the Sound Quality will be dramatical

Less is more, right? Before adding new features, it’s very wise to think about what features can be painlessly removed

The worst thing is when an automatic link is applied inappropriately, and the poster can’t (AFAIK) turn it off. I just posted in the Music forum and used the word “download” which automatically generated a link to the PSA downloads area – this has nothing to do with what I was saying and will confuse people.

Linn Klimax DS is another one :D

And you know what - it even linked to my homepage when I wrote ‘notorious captious’ cant-believe-my-eyes-smiley-emoticon_gif tongue-wink_gif

Yes! Thanks much! It’s so much better without them!!!

I’ll keep doing what I can and thanks for the help. I contacted our current webmaster who helped finish the website design and in response to your comments about bandwidth and too many style sheets here was his response:

He has a good point. It would be a lot of work. I've been band-aiding a shaky foundation built by people who, frankly, had no business coding a WordPress site. There are a lot of dependencies, including numerous plugins (many of which load their own CSS and JS files). I attempted to combine the JS and CSS files with a plugin I've used before, but it's not working. I can certainly try an alternate aproach to combine many (but not most) of the CSS and JS files to reduce some of the bandwidth, but beyond that, we get diminishing returns without going back to the drawing board.

Understandable.

Thanks, Paul

BitPerfect autolink is still active and it points to something not related to the discussion (e.g. the review posted on Bitperfect)