Can you tell just by the specs if amp and speakers are a good match?

Although. MartinLogan are very big in the uk (me included) and they do need a lot of power and control to make the Stators really sing

I used Dynaudio Contour 1.1 for 12 years and they were well known to be unusually hard to drive for speakers sold in the UK in the late 1990s. I remember the salesman telling me this. I used a Primare amplifier.

Naim amplifiers have relatively low average power ratings, but up to 5 times higher peak power. That’s why they work well with Focal. That’s no good with Devialet, my Devialet 250 Pro was not sufficient to get the maximum from Diablo Utopia Colour Evo. I would have had to double up to 1000 Pro. Didn’t like the speakers anyway.

Have you seen this new Heritage model - homage to the old Contour speaker I had? I paid £1,000 new. These are £5,500!

1 Like

So much depends on the room size and construction a setup has to play in and the realistic volume level you will want to use as well as the kind of impact realism (also full range or not) you expect.

I think typical surroundings of people in different countries is one influence for the impression that e.g. typical British Hi-Fi long time (or still?) seemed to limit itself in its size and size related realism and why US Hi-Fi always (or still?) seemed to miss opportunities to improve certain musical and sound quality characteristics due to the concentration on the perceived need to always sound big and powerful enough.

So far the old cliches…if they are still valid to a degree…I think the industry of both has different target groups, so some differences remain.

Yup, that is inherent in almost all panel speakers, and personally, I like them with pure class A if possible.

1 Like