Can't output PCM from an SACD into Coaxial Input of PWD

I have a Cambridge Audio BD751 Universal Blu-Ray Player hooked up to my PWD via coaxial input. The Blu-Ray player is also connected to my TV via HDMI and the TV is in turn connected to the PWD via Optical cable. I have no problem playing

CD’s and Blu-Ray’s via the Coaxial digital out but a red light comes on in the input button on the PWD when I try to play an SACD. The CD layer on the disc plays without problem. (Rolling Stones - Let it Bleed - Abcko)

I have checked the Audio output options on the Cambridge and they are set to output SACD to 2 channel and PCM over the digital output. Maximum resolution is set to 192 kHz (I have also tried changing this to 96 kHz with no luck.)

The SACD will play through the TV / HDMI / Optical connection but the sound quality is degraded.

I have just upgraded firmware to 2.4.3 last Friday. Everything else is working fine.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,

Chris

Hi Chris,

As far as I know, this is not a PWD issue. Its related to the SACD specs and the licensing arround it. SACD players do not have the ability to play / export the full high-res material through their digital outputs (if they have any). If the digital outputs are being available the material is downsampled. This is also the reason why there are no SACD PC drives. Its simply copy protection. The only technical way to digitally copy an SACD is through an old Playstation 3 model (the first few models that can read SACD) using a custom firmware and a SACD ripping program installed.

Regards

Kurt

cerobo said: I have no problem playing
CD's and Blu-Ray's via the Coaxial digital out but a red light comes on in the input button on the PWD when I try to play an SACD. The CD layer on the disc plays without problem.

The unit can output DSD over HDMI to an appropriately equipped receiver. However, it appears it does not output anything over S/PDIF coax when playing an SACD.

I suggest checking your manual to see if it is supposed to output PCM on S/PDIF out when playing an SACD. My guess is no.

An interesting quirk: to use the unit as an analog SACD player, PCM must be selected in the SACD set up menu to get sound at the analog outputs. One would think it would know it is playing an SACD and would handle this on its own.

(The Wolfson 8740 DAC chips in the unit are not SACD capable. Thus, it decimates the DSD to PCM so it can play an SACD.)

As far as I know the hi Rez will not be outputed to any DAC. I found this out the hard way

Only red book will play. On the coax or opticL. U cN get the sound through analog

This is why I bought ps 3. It is protected. Go to computer audiophile. They forum

Wi exain in detAil.

Al d

Thanks Elk,

I have just re-read the Cambridge manual. It states that SACD output is not possible via the co-axial output. The internal DACs in the unit will convert SACD to PCM and send to the analogue output of the player.

When in doubt, RTFM!

Cheers,

Chris

cerobo said: When in doubt, RTFM!

Sometimes it works. :)