Class D Amp Journey

The M700 / SGCD combination is magical, at least to my ears.

5 Likes

Light a candle and enjoy the sounds.

2 Likes

Light a candle and rejoice if you purchased your PS Audio amplifier before September 1.

1 Like

Care to say why?

1 Like

Paul’s Post announced price increases due to upward cost pressure on sourcing parts. Specifically, Paul mentioned steel costs ramping up 215%. Well, maybe more of a square wave step change.

What’s Up?

1 Like

Like @weedeewop said price increase announced by Paul at
Paul’s Post today. July BHK 300 $14,998 August $10,498 September $16498! :exploding_head:

July and August is from my recollection not 100% on exact price but I’m sure I’m pretty darn close.

Economy is strongly booming, in Covid time. Resources are becoming critically scarce and our central banks are pressing money like there is no tomorrow in order to keep airlines, airports and other suffering businesses alive.

Not saying it is wrong, but sure it is the perfect recipe for inflation of a scale never seen since WWII at least for Europe. It seems to start hitting North America as well.

Housing, energy prices, groceries and other primary living costs are through the roof. Children have to live with their parents till the age of 35 to get to the point of being able to find and finance their own place to live.
Budgets for lesser priority stuff for hobbies are declining at fast pace.

I understand that PS Audio and many other brands need to charge the cost increases to their customers. But soon those customers who suffer from the inflation will need to quit seeking the holy grail or digging further into the sound quality rabbit hole.

Having said that, there are off coarse always those who benefit from high housing prices and inflation and they will have enough to cope with the price increases.

That’s economy I guess. But I sure do hope that those governing our countries remember the big inflation in the 20’s of the last century.

Try to cheer up my friend.

2 Likes

I am not depressed by it.

Concerned about our youth not finding housing and becoming confronted with an inflation they might not be able to cope with, yes. Mind you, we are in lock down again in the Netherlands.

On the other hand I am happy, have my music playing and think: glad we can offer our children a good place to stay.

2 Likes

Yes the Merrill Audio Element 118’s are indeed amazing by many firsthand accounts, though I haven’t yet had a chance to hear in person (only over YT).

One reviewer who has owned dozens of the top class D ranks them the best of class D, beating out the likes of $50k Bel Canto Black and the very pricey Jeff Rowland top of line

I bought the a The NAD M33 NAD M33 with Purifi Eigentakt class D power amp stages. When connecting it to my previous Canton Vento speakers, it was a considerable improvement over the previous Yamaha Receiver (1/5th the cost).

Now, with the Buchardt Audio S400 SE it is just a delight. We can listen and enjoy for hours without any fatigue and yet enjoy all the details of the music. Very important are the realistic voices. We still utilise the amp and speakers for watching movies and TV.

I can not compare to other class AB amps in the price category of the NAD M33. My dad has a high end Luxman class A/B amplifier, but different speakers and a larger room with better acoustics. 2 h driving distance can not qualify for A/B listening either. Both systems sound really good though.

We have no dedicated power circuits for Audio and not much room, so having a compact and energy efficient amplifier that sounds very good are all 3 important features for us. When the dealer demoed the NAD M33 to me and my wife we just liked it. So much music comes out of a single box that has so many useful features.

1 Like

Yes, the M33 is nice. Much , much better than the previous M10 I thought. I’ve got a one box solution (“super integrated” some call them) in my office setup, the marantz pm7000n, class AB.

If I upgrade the m33 would be a top contender. I like Naim unity also but hate the speaker jacks on rear that only accept bananas.

Getting BluOS with M33, which I consider among the best interfaces, only adds to the appeal for sure. I’ve got a Powernode 2 class D with BluOS but the amplification there is pretty lacking imo

2 Likes