Class D-eGaN FETs

Are the Gallium Nitride (GaN) FET transitors the new wave for Audio Power Amp Class D operations? Having faster switching speeds, more efficient power usages, better thermal performance, lower distortions, and needing no negative feedback loops compared to the silicon power MOSFET, is this the breakthrough Sonic Golden Egg topology to drive future Audiophile Music listening?

Here’s an interesting article that can assist the conversation!

Ted

I’m hardly qualified to talk about transistors - I barely keep up with the conversation - but have tuned in with some interest because I’m considering my next amp and am surprisingly leaning D.
I find it interesting that in the 5-1/2 years since the article was published that we’re still waiting for the revolution. There are surely others but I’m only aware of a couple of implementations (Peach Tree and another from a traditionally tube amp mfg). I only learned of these from a couple of other threads I’ve come across, either here or Audio Circle. Chatter I’ve picked up on questions whether GaN are a step change improvement in ways that are either audible or affect audible perception.
I know I read or heard of an interview with Bruno Putzeys about the topic. Maybe not an unbiased opinion but my take away of his conclusion was not enough difference to be notable. Maybe it’s a generational thing as in we won’t know until mfg start developing their next generation offerings.

1 Like

I think some of us will spend a bit of time evaluating them. :slight_smile: I want to check out atma-sphere’s next.
existing: peachtree, orchard audio
up and coming: atma-sphere (shipping soon- ~1 month according to NH dealer), Mytek empire (teaser only).

1 Like

You also have the LSA Gan 350 and another from W4S who designed the LSA and Peachtree amps. My choice for now would be the amps from AGD.

Are they any good? Depends on which amp designer you ask. Like everything having to do with engineering/physics, it depends on which compromises you want to make. Until aliens land and give us their alien tech :grinning:

Additional articles that may be of interest:

https://epc-co.com/epc

Ted