Compatible I2S source devices

I’d thought I’d start a thread where folks can list devices that are compatible with the DS DAC via the I2S port.

The PWT is an obvious one. Any others?

If this has already been discussed in another thread I guess the mods can delete this one.

Sonore

W4S

IIRC. the Sonore daughtercard can be piggybacked onto the Bryston players’ card.

Channel Islands Audio too I think.

I have my PS NuWave Phono Converter connected via I2S.

T

alcarp said I'd thought I'd start a thread where folks can list devices that are compatible with the DS DAC via the I2S port.

If this has already been discussed in another thread I guess the mods can delete this one.

This link to a spreadsheet may partly answer this question

1 Like
alcarp said I'd thought I'd start a thread where folks can list devices that are compatible with the DS DAC via the I2S port.

The Pink Faun pc card can be chipped to met the same protocol that is used with the DS dac

Empirical Audio Off Ramp 5 USB converter/re-clocker. It takes in USB, cleans it up, and sends out in I2S or S/PDIF

This is almost an essential item for most DACs, although Alrainbow says the DS sounds better without it, and I’ve done one test that would agree.

As Ted suggests, the DS is “input agnostic.”

LH labs Geek Source (launch Q1-15).

I am anxiously awaiting delivery of my LH Labs Geek Source some time early next year. Now all I have to do is figure out how to pay my credit card… facepalm-smiley-emoticon_gif This one seriously put me in a tight spot but I just couldn’t pass this deal up. Now to see just how well Larry Ho and crew manage to do with this digital media player. I2S to the PWD will be a new one for me.

Maybe I will be able to afford the Bridge II when it comes out and I can compare the two.

J.P.

Provided the source and the Directstream use the same type of connection via I2S then can any standard HDMI cable be used?

Yes, I2S uses standard HDMI.

1 Like
wingsounds13 said I am anxiously awaiting delivery of my LH Labs Geek Source some time early next year.
Nice!

So you went for the one with internal storage, I reckon.

Yes. I got an Early Bird Source 2T which should do me just fine as my library is currently only about 600Gb if stored uncompressed. I debated adding the Plus option but didn’t see that much value in it and didn’t really have the funds to go there anyway. If I have more later in the year I may be able to add that when the campaign survey comes out. If not, no big deal. Heck, by the time I get the Source I may be able to just buy a 1Tb SSD to replace the hard drive. I can always use a spare hard drive. :slight_smile:

J.P.

This is the problem with long time to market. By the time it launches, the storage is half price (adds margin to LH) and technology has developed in giant leaps from design to production. I am reluctant to jump on the band wagon on such campaigns because of this.

That is certainly a big part of the reason I thought the SSD perks were way overpriced. SSD prices seem to be dropping significantly right now and their SSD perk prices seemed even a tad high based on today’s prices. They did suggest that if storage prices dropped significantly that they would deliver with greater storage capacity. Still… The Plus perk seemed a bit high too.

I am not concerned about price drop on the 2Tb HD, I don’t think they are going to change all that much in nine months. As I said, at worst I can swap it out with a different drive, perhaps SSD, and have a spare 2Tb drive on hand. If not, the base drive will do me for quite sometime.

The Wave Lite seemed like a good option for those who have their library already stored on a NAS or computer, but I had already snagged an Early Bird Wave for just a few dollars more. This configuration makes it much like the Sonore Rendu or the Auralic Aries network players, and possibly similar to the possible PS Audio Bridge in a Box that I am quite curious about.

I am hoping that the Wave I2S over HDMI is fully compatible with the PWD and DS. Hopefully LH Labs will at least borrow one for testing before shipping the Wave.

J.P.

wingsounds13 said I am hoping that the Wave I2S over HDMI is fully compatible with the PWD and DS.

J.P.

At least this is what they claim.

Only nine months until we find out. :slight_smile: I have waited longer for products to come out, but it is not an easy wait, particularly since I have already paid for this one. My patience seems to be decreasing with age rather than increasing. :frowning:

J.P.

Perhaps you have less time left, and cannot afford to wait.

Any guess as to the cause of my impending demise? :slight_smile:

J.P.

tick . . . tock . . . tick . . . tock . . . tick . . .