DirectStream I2S input

Does the DS need whatever is feeding the I2S input to have a Master Clock signal? I was thinking (since it’s so cheap) of building a Raspberry Pi board with an I2S output just to see what would happen, but the Pi 2 does not have a MCLK output from its I2S interface.

I’ve done exactly that with a Pi 2 and ti works perfectly.

I posted details in another thread on this forum already…

I can’t imagine how I missed that. Thanks for the posting; I’ll go look for it.

Well, I must be getting old, Charles… I was part of that thread!facepalm-smiley-emoticon_gifWere you ever able to get DSD128 to work?

Hmm, Paul, in Post #77 of this thread

http://www.psaudio.com/forum/directstream-all-about-it/compatible-i2s-source-devices/page-3/

Ted says the DS doesn’t care about the Master Clock.

first prototype (no soldering required)

second prototype

parts:

raspberry pi 2

Audio GD I2S over HDMI output

40-pin ribbon cable

a bit of soldering required

Pin assignment :
Pin 1 -> 3.3V entry of the module
Pin 12-> BCK (bit clock)
Pin 34-> MCLK (Master Clock, not available on the Pi so we ground that clock signal the DAC doesn’t need anyway)
Pin 35-> WCK (world Clock, also called LRCLK sometimes)
Pin 39-> ground
Pin 40-> Data out

Parameter used in PiCorePlayer : -D in Various input filed (restart of squeezelite was necessary)

1 Like

Thanks for posting the info again, Charles. I just wanted to confirm, though - were you ever able to get DSD128 working?

tony22 said Does the DS need whatever is feeding the I2S input to have a Master Clock signal? I was thinking (since it's so cheap) of building a Raspberry Pi board with an I2S output just to see what would happen, but the Pi 2 does not have a MCLK output from its I2S interface.
No - The DS doesn't care about the master clock at all - it isn't physically hooked up.
tony22 said Thanks for posting the info again, Charles. I just wanted to confirm, though - were you ever able to get DSD128 working?
I couldn't make DSD128 work with that streamer, no.

maybe something to take up to the PicorePlayer forum ;o)

Linvincible said

Audio GD I2S over HDMI output

This is it, right? http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/diy/I2Skits/I2SEN.htm

There is not much in the description. What can it be used with? Any computer/OS? Not just Pi?

Raspberry PI has a HDMI outputso what is the difference here ?

Ted Smith said
tony22 said Does the DS need whatever is feeding the I2S input to have a Master Clock signal? I was thinking (since it's so cheap) of building a Raspberry Pi board with an I2S output just to see what would happen, but the Pi 2 does not have a MCLK output from its I2S interface.

No - The DS doesn’t care about the master clock at all - it isn’t physically hooked up.

Oops, sorry, and thanks to Ted for correcting me. I deleted my incorrect post stating it did.

Alekz said
Linvincible said Audio GD I2S over HDMI output

This is it, right? 睿志音响

There is not much in the description. What can it be used with? Any computer/OS? Not just Pi?

yes that’s the one.

Make sure you order the output model ;o)

rogerdn said Raspberry PI has a HDMI outputso what is the difference here ?
the raspberry pi indeed already has an HDMI output : for video signal

nobody yet could repurpose this output to send I2S audio signal

Also sending the I2S through this port would defeat the purpose of using the I2S direct connection from the Pi, which bypasses every bus so is never converted in any format.

By taking the I2S from the right pins on the Pi board you get the signal as close from the processor as it can be.

It’s better explained here

Thks, I knew it would not work with the DS with std HDMI cable but was confused because Chris at CA in his write up said it did 48 kHz.

rogerdn said Thks, I knew it would not work with the DS with std HDMI cable but was confused because Chris at CA in his write up said it did 48 kHz.
I guess that's when using the standard HDMI video+audio signal

not really interesting for high end audio with the new formats available, but sufficient if you have only red book cds in your collection

DS will not be able to read that signal though as the HDMI input is for I2S signal, not standard HDMI signal but a standard HC receiver/processor would.

Hi Forum, Silly question from me.

I have a great streamer [Ethernet IN] with an HDMI OUT. Can I use a HDMI 1.4 cable from the streamer to my PS PWDAC II I2S IN ?

It is not clear to me if this will work, damage my PS Audio PW or will provide the best interconnect over my streamers other outputs (inc XLR)

Which input into the PS Audio PW DAC II is best XLR sound great (streamer to DAC) as does Coax but is I2S better in this instance…?? Thank you, Derek

The HDMI inputs on the DS are not the standard HDMI inputs of a TV, audio-video processor, etc. in that they don’t accept the standard audio and video streams of data output by a source. Instead they accept an digital audio formatted in I2S only. So. . .unless your streamer specifically outputs a digital audio signal formatted in the PS Audio I2S protocol I don’t think it will damage your DS but it won’t connect to the HDMI signals and input the signal to the DS processing.

I think PS Audio should consider a traffolyte sign on the back saying ‘I2s only - HDMI signals not supported’ or something along those lines.

As lonson said you need to check whether the HDMI out is really HDMI or I2S using an HDMI connector. There are third party streamers that use the same pin-outs as PS Audio (Sonore, Wyred4Sound, for example). Check the manual or spec sheet for the streamer or contact the manufacturer and ask them. I also don’t think it’s likely to hard the PWD if you’re unsure and just want to try it (but I’m no expert on that).

Thank you Guys.

I think the Streamer will (Still not sure) the following is out of the Streamer manual:…

[… > Powerful Connections

We have included the latest generation low power, super high

performance ARM processor. These have more computing

power than a PC from just a few years ago, yet run cool and

do not require noisy fans. Digital connectivity includes SPDIF,

USB, and unusually for a stereo audio component, HDMI.

We included HDMI because it is a secure encrypted format

that supports 24/192 HD Audio in PCM’s native I2S format, but

it is not a video output…]

Is this a Yes ? Streamer HDMI ‘OUT’ to PS Audio PW DACII ‘IN’ via HDMI 1.4 Cable? Is I2S the best connection to the PS Audio PW DAC II ?

Regards, Derek

Hi Frode, I travel to Stavanger, Norway say 4 times a year... Maxwell Hi-Fi, very interest shop. Derek